When did you move your child out of the cot?

monkeymum
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:45 am 
Post subject: When did you move your child out of the cot?
My daughter has only just turned 1 and seems far too young yet to go into a big bed, but given that she hates her cot and prefers to cuddle in with us I'd rather move her over as early as possible so we can at least cuddle up in her bead instead.

At what age/ physical ability stage did you move your little ones into a toddler bed?
SexOnFire
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:12 pm 
Post subject:
My daughter was just before she was one and a half from what I can remember. She was walking really well and was able to climb on to her bed. She had one of the Ikea extendable toddler beds. I couldn't afford the side barriers so put lots of spare pillows and blankets on the floor. She never fell out, but had a habit of getting out of bed and falling asleep behind her bedroom door.

Hope this helps x
joshlibmum
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:23 pm 
Post subject:
My son whose now five hated his cot like your daughter he spent more time in our bed so when he was about one we put him in his own bed he was walking from 10 months and very steady on his feet it was the top bunk of bunk beds(put on the floor not on top of the bottom bunk) so it had a side panel to stop him falling out he loved it and better still actually slept in it. I now have a daughter whose a few weeks of her first birthday whose just learning to walk and not as steady as my son was at her age but she actually sleeps in her cot so even though I cant wait to buy a gorgeous white bed Ive seen I know shes not ready I think you have to take lead from them and do what you feel is best for them
monkeymum
Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:43 am 
Post subject:
thanks very much for the replies. I had been thinking of doing it as soon as she is steady on her feet (which admittedly may be another couple of months) but this makes me feel a lot happier about making the change. Will also definately copy the idea about pillows on the floor till my confidence gets better - she'll be fine I'm sure!

thanks! Very Happy
Atana
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:25 pm 
Post subject:
My oldest son hated his cot and always ended up in our bed. Trying to get him to sleep in a cot was a nightmare. From about 18 months we let him sleep on a futon, so he wouldn't have far to fall if he rolled off. Everything was so much easier - I think he liked the freedom of being able to get out of bed if he wanted to, but he very rarely did until morning when he would come and find us. It's strange how childrencan be so different - my second son loves his cot and is still in it and he's nearly 4! He climbs in and out on his own, but we've got to evict him soon as we'll be needing the cot for number 3!

Jump to:  

Community

Popular