Crawling and increased appetite

SexOnFire
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:19 pm 
Post subject: Crawling and increased appetite
Luke has been crawling for over 2 wks now, and often seems miserable during the day and isn't sleeping as well as he used to.

He currrently has 4 bottles a day 6oz first thing, 5oz mid morn, 5oz mid afternoon, 6oz at bed time. He has three meals a day. I tried giving him bigger portions of food but he can't manage loads in one go. I tried stopping a bottle but it didn't make him any hungrier for solids. Is it time to start giving him snacks as well? I also read somewhere to give baby's a later snack as well.

I'm not too sure what to do? Thanks Smile
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:30 pm 
Post subject:
wow - crawling already? I wish Isaac would get of his lazy fat little bottom and get mobile - he's nearly 11 months old!!!

in answer to your question, I'm not really sure cos developmentally obviously Isaac has been totally different. You could try finger foods perhaps as a mid-afternoon snack? Isaac loves a slice of toast and marmite, with water rather than milk, at about 3:30/4pm.
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:50 pm 
Post subject:
He is quite a mover, and managed to get up the bottom step at my parents at the weekend, thankfully we live in a bungalow, but he is cruising now as well, nothing is safe lol. Isabelle was more average with her development so its been quite a shock to see Luke doing these things already.

I will definitely try giving him some finger food in the afternoon, he's got really good coordination and I have been giving him a rice cake whilst I cook him dinner and he loves raisins and chases them around his high chair. He usually has his dinner at 4.30 ish, so I guess if I give him a snack and then give him his dinner a bit later.

Thanks very much will let you know how we get on tomorrow. x
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:53 pm 
Post subject:
what time does he go to bed? Isaac has his tea at 5pm, bed at 7pm, which seems to work pretty well (plus ofc supper - a bottle - just before bed)
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm 
Post subject:
He usually goes to bed at 6.30. He has his tea by 4.30pm, bath by 6pm and bottle. I've tried to keep him awake until 7 but can not do it, he's shattered by 6 and its a struggle to get him to stay awake for his milk.
Smile
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:31 am 
Post subject:
be careful moving his dinner later then - I'd say you've got it about right at the moment by giving him 2 hours to digest solids before bed.

no harm in giving it a try though Very Happy
Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:45 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you so much for your advise Devonmum. I gave Luke an afternoon snack and it must have done the trick. 12 and half solid hours of blissful sleep Very Happy . I also saw H/V yesterday and she recommended that I cut out the mid morning bottle (which he hasn't been as interested in for the past few days) and replace it with a snack like a banana. I've tried this today as well as giving him an afternoon snack, so we will se what happens.

When he woke up this morning he was smiling and much happier than he has been in a long time, it makes such a difference for them to get a decent sleep. He also didn't wake up ravenous and was happy to wait half an hour for his milk. I've also been implementing a good day time nap routine. He is now having 1-2hrs in the morning and the same in the afternoon, and he is actually doing this in his cot. He was always fine for night time in his cot, but days were a challenge. We've moved him into his own room which is much quieter.

Thanks again, it makes it easier for me to go back to work now. Very Happy xx
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:35 am 
Post subject:
ah glad its going well hun Very Happy

I did exactly the same with Isaac and the mid morning snack, but he very quickly decided he didn't need anything mid morning. He still has an afternoon snack most days (thuogh not always), but his porridge and morning milk always seem to tide him over to lunch for some reason.

Anna
xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular