Positive test three days ago and just getting over shock!!

caughtbysurprise
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:44 pm 
Post subject: Positive test three days ago and just getting over shock!!
Hi everyone! Well, the subject line says it all! Unplanned and a bit earlier than I would have planned for, too, but there it was!

I had a niggling feeling I might be pregnant for the first time last thursday, and the niggle wouldn't go. I was late for my period by at least 4 days (hard to tell, because I had only come off the pill about 6 months earlier following my wedding so still unsure if totally regular) and had an odd, metallic taste in my mouth but no other symptoms. Oddly, though, I had found myself wanting to find out about pregnancy and developing babies on the weds and thurs out of the blue; never had an urge to do that before. My husband was at work last Friday; I was at home. I knew in the morning that the only way to put my niggle to rest was to test for pregnancy, so I secretly planned to purchase a test from pharmacy at some point but held off for most of the day. I rang the fpa to discuss and had a haircut first! I bought a twin, own brand test pack, then bought lunch which I ate at home before doing the test! I was stunned; just staring at the result window after three mins had passed - I had put the test face down while it developed because I didn't want to see - and when I gathered enough courage to turn it over, there it was! A positive! And then I cried. We had said that if I should fall pregnant, then it would be ok following the wedding, but we hadn't planned for this now and I felt shocked, scared, like it was not really happening. I remember putting my hand to my mouth and my head was racing.

I decided the best thing to do was take another test in the morning, when hormone more concentrated, to double check. Then, I took my test result and went to the local pharmacy, where I asked to have a private word with the pharmacist in her little booth and I showed her the test! I was shaking and stammering my words, but I just wanted someone to confirm the result; someone who could see the cross too. I remember saying "you see it too, right? There's a cross, isn't there?" I remember tears - not sobs - and the lady put her hand on mine and said "yes, it's a miracle, isn't it? Congratulations". I then made an appointment with the doctor and saw him within the hour. He wanted me to give a urine sample that will be sent off to the lab for testing, even though I took my test with me as proof. I'm still waiting for the official result because of the weekend, but I would be surprised if it was disproved. Only just starting to feel happy and excited today now shock is wearing off, I think. Told husband on the Friday, after coming home from doctors. He just gave me a kiss and a hug and I told him all about my day. The following morning, I re-tested with my husband present, and we waited and looked together to see another positive result. I still wonder whether i should test agian with another brand, now I'm feeling calmer, just to see!

According to dates, doc said I am likely to be 6 weeks pregnant, but personally I think it's closer to 4 because of when we had intercourse! I think. Will there be a time when I know more accurately how pregnant I am?
emmaloo
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:01 pm 
Post subject:
congratulations hun,well i wouldnt bother testing again you definatley sound pregnant to me!if youre unsure of due dates because of lmp dates the only way you will get a certain one is at your 12wk scan.xxx

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:41 pm 
Post subject:
Congratulations x
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:52 pm 
Post subject:
Big Big CONGRATULATIONS X Very Happy