Maternity & Holiday question..Any advice gratefully rece

Bazzle
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:44 am 
Post subject: Maternity & Holiday question..Any advice gratefully rece
Hi,

I have a question about my holiday whilst I am on Maternity and am struggling to find the answers on the web!!

I know that we accrue our holiday entitlement as normal when on Maternity Leave and my holiday year runs from Jan - Dec. I will have 10 days left by the time I am planning on going on Maternity leave in August and I was hoping to use those days then to get 2 weeks at full pay before my income drops to 90% etc.

However, my company always make us save holiday for the Xmas peiod which, due to the way Xmas falls this year, is 4 days ( 3 days of 2008 and 1 day of 2009's allowance). As I will be on maternity leave am i still required to save my holiday days? I am questioning it because if i were to use those days now i get paid at my regular wage, but if i they make me save 4 days for Xmas period then I will be on SMP which is lower and also paid by the government not my employer!!!

I really would be grateful for any advice from anyone esp if this is an issue you have come across as my company are particularly stingy and if they can get away with the government paying me for those days via SMP then I think they will!!!

Thanks xxx
FingersCrossed
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:21 pm 
Post subject:
I think you should be able to argue that you use your leave at the start/end of your maternity, otherwise if it is leave they have to pay you the full amount anyway not the maternity rate
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:22 pm 
Post subject:
I dont think they can tell you when to take your holiday, if you wait until dec you will miss out on your 2 weeks full pay as you will have already started your maternity. Ask to have your 2 weeks holiday right infront of your maternity start date. That way ul get the full pay, Its what ive had to do.

Hope this helps xx

izzy0308
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:36 pm 
Post subject:
My company allow us to take the remaining hol before maternity... its pro just dwn to the company which is a pain in the ass! maybe u should contact ur hr dept?

xxx
Bazzle
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:08 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your quick replies. I will def put in for the holiday before I start Maternity and not mention about Xmas at all. We are only a small company and dont have a HR dept - policies are set out by the MD!!
I really appreciate you getting back to me! Thanks!! xx
dawnb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:31 pm 
Post subject:
hi, i find the citezens advice beuro really helpfull for things like this..you can get there number on the web.
good luck
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:36 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya.. No you can definately take your 4 days holiday now. You do not need to save them for xmas. I am in exactly the same position as you and was in the same position (with a different employer) when I had my first 2. You will be getting paid SMp and therefore by law you can not take holiday in between maternity leave any way.

I would really really doubt that your employer will tell you different as it is against the law.

Hope that helps x
Ali x
tealbutterfly
Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:44 pm 
Post subject:
i'm sure you can take your holiday before. most work places will require you to as when you return you will be in the next holiday year. so book it, i'm sure if they refuse you have grounds to complain.
Bazzle
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:10 am 
Post subject:
Thank you so much for getting back to me with your advice - I really appreciate it! xx
gingin
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:30 am 
Post subject:
as a former employer i can tell you that your holiday entitlement is based on your monthly hours worked and is worked out generally that way - your employer cannot force you to take holidays at a certain time in the year as far as i am aware - youir entitlement will be per month of working
i can tell you that the inland revenue run a very good helpline though for this type of thing and i would get the official line of it before addressing your boss
your maternity leave is a very separate issue to your holiday entitlement as far as i am aware and just because employer wants holidays taken at a certain time will not effect your entitlement
good luck
g
x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular