Nuchal Scan at private Clinic

haribo
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:30 pm 
Post subject: Nuchal Scan at private Clinic
Has anyone opted for the Nuchal Scan , i,m 35 years so thought it would be wise .

we are going next friday ,i will be 12 weeks then , feeling really nervous about it now , had a dating scan at 9 weeks so at least i have stopped panicking about what if nothing there ect , seen the heartbeat so thats good .

if anyone has been for nuchal scan and blood test and can explain what happens when you go i would be gratefull.
dawnb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:57 pm 
Post subject:
hi!,
i think it is different depending on where in the country you are. I live in devon and i had all the nuchal tests and blood tests at my 12 wk dating scan...it was all part of the nhs first trimester screening clinic.
i have spoke to other ladies on here that have had to pay for nuchal testing so im not sure weather you will or not.
basically though they measure the fluid and the fold at the back of the babys neck, the result of that along with your age and the results of your blood tests determine weather you fall in to a high risk or low risk category for your baby having downs syndrome.
if you fall into a high category you will recieve your results the next day and be offered further testing which is usually amniocentesis...this is where they take some fluid from around baby and test it so as you have an accurate result.
If you are low risk you will probably not be offered this further testing as there is a risk of miscarriage with the amniocentesis.
check with your midwife about the procedure...good luck, hope it all goes well.
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:14 pm 
Post subject:
oh thanks

yes i have to pay for the test here , they are not avalible on NHS .

I have heard so many conficting stories about the tests and the high risk groups of ages

i am unsure what my group is i have heard other talking about 1 in 1000 and so on but how do you know what your 1 in should be ??

oh its all very stressfull
dawnb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:18 pm 
Post subject:
when you have the test they will explain what all the figures mean...its so easy to listen to other people and panick isnt it?
when you get your results sent to you they will confirm high or low risk so you dont really need to worry about the numbers.
im sure everything will bw fine. is this your first?
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:21 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Haribo - I am going for my Nuchal Test next Wednesday, I am having it done privately as here in Lincolnshire it is not an NHS option, I have just turned 40 so am classed as 'high risk'. I am also having blood tests, have been sent bottles etc by Leeds Feotal Medicine Unit have to get midwife or my GP to do them then send off in special packaging!!! apparently these make the test more accurate. I am looking forward to seeing my little one again but very apprehensive in case I get a high risk result. Its good to talk to others in the same position.

Take care, Flossie xx

haribo
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:47 pm 
Post subject:
This is my 2nd my daughter is 15 and we have decided to do it all again - i know we are crazy .

but this time around we are secure in a lovely home good jobs ect , as before we were broke and renting , so we thought it would be nice to do it all again and really enjoy it without other worries .

i do not remember being a worry pot before i think i was to young and care free.

I have done the blood test part and posted away , also i think we get results there and then , god i hope so

thanks for all your kind words and good luck for your NT scan on wednesday if you get chance perhaps you could let m know what it was like and how you went on
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:02 pm 
Post subject:
Yes I most certainly will. I cant relax until after the scan, my mum is so desperate to buy things. I have to have my bloods taken on the same day if possible which is a bit of a pain as would like to get the whole thing done there and then, but have been told will get results without bloods on the day then with bloods 2 days later.... My children are 15 and 12 so its going to be quite a shock to me starting again, I am so used to having lovely easy sunday mornings as I have to literally prise my two out of bed!!!!!!!
Will keep you posted, Flossie xx

sozzle
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:35 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Ladies- i had my NT test done privately (not offered on NHS where i live) the week before last. They measured fluid on back of baby's neck and told me then and there whether result was normal or not. I then had blood tests done which were then combined with the results of the fluid on back of neck and results phoned through to me the following evening (v stressful 24hrs!) Sounds like in some places they do blood test before hand and give you combined result on day which is probably a much better way of doing it!! The result is expressed as 1 in something chance, e.g. 1:1000. The higher the second figure the lower the risk. The lower the second number the higher the risk. They do also take age into account when calculating risk. If results show high risk then you are usually offered amnio. As i posted on a different thread, my friend was given a v high risk, she was 32 and result was something like 1:32. She had amnio which said risk was actually very low and she went on to have happy and healthy little girl. I so sympathise with stress and anxiety after having gone through it myself recently and hope your results are all fine. I should say also, that the actual scan is absolutely amazing and i couldnt believe how clear images are. sozzlex
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:22 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Sozzle - Have spoken to you about this before and you have explained it really well, it is a very stressful time and really I am just trying to look at it as another scan/chance to see my baby. Dont suppose there is any way you can tell the sex from these scans (I am thinking not) as you say it is so clear, is it not the same sort of machine used for dating scans??

Many thanks, Flossie xx

sozzle
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:58 am 
Post subject:
Hi Flossie - i dont think you can but then ive seen posts from other mums to be saying that they could!! Think bits and bobs only start developing around 14 weeks but maybe some babies are early developers!! I guess also it depends on how baby is positioned when scan is taken. We couldnt tell from our scan but i was just so excited to see little fingers waving at me. Good luck with scan. Glad explanation helped. I spent a long time talking to friends and doctors about the whole process especially after my friend had such an agonising time with her baby. Good luck and do enjoy watching your little one on the scan!!
Lxjane
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:57 pm 
Post subject:
i have scans at my private clinic as well as our nhs hospital, my gynecologist at the private hospital's told me theres a 96% chance he can tell the sex from 12 and half weeks, it might be different in other private hospitals though! x

Last edited by Lxjane on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:08 pm 
Post subject:
Scan went really really well odds of Down Syndrome before scan were 1 : 78 after scan 1 : 786 baby had a nuchal fold of about 1.8mm which was worse case scenario it was slightly less but they round it up, it also made my odds of Edwards and Patau Syndrome 1 : 1117, which is fabulous. It also gave me a maternal age of 27 thought that was great shame it doesnt erase the crows feet also....
My little one had its thumb in its mouth I felt absolutely choked and really thought I was going to cry, I just found that so endearing. I was actually scanned for an hour and had to have a wee twice lol I can really recommend this scan for anyone who feels its necessary for them, the Clinic where I had mine was called Brayford Studio and is in Lincolnshire (hope I can plug them) they were wonderful, they told me my baby was beautiful!!! Am sure they say that to everyone but it was the best 100 I have ever spent and I will be going back for a 3D.
Flossie xxx

tinkerbell123
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:26 pm 
Post subject:
AHH how lovely so glad you deserve so good news! I know its a bit early but i was looking at 3d scans amd a clinic near where i live does a full package Scans at 20 & 27 weeks sexing and 3d scans pictures and cd rom for 200 do you think its a good idea( as you can prob tell im hoping tc VERY soon ha ha ha)
Congrats once again Very Happy
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:40 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks so much, the one I am going for is the silver package and is 145 (without cd rom) there is a gold package with a cd rom for 195, I personally wanted the DVD more!! Have been looking at sample photos at clinic today they were very honest and told me that they cannot guarantee that images will be brilliant - dependant on baby's position etc and other half thought they looked a bit odd, but I think when its your baby its a bit different I am sure you would see things maybe others wouldnt. I think they are a brilliant idea mine is booked Laughing
Good luck with ttc, fingers crossed, take care, Flossie xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular