Plastic baby bottles - are they safe?

stef68
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:59 am 
Post subject: Plastic baby bottles - are they safe?
I've just started my youngest on formula and recently come across disturbing news about plastic baby bottles. Apparently most bottles sold in the UK are made from a dangerous chemical that leaks from the bottle. Apparently it disturbs hormone growth and can cause early puberty amongst other things.
I did some checking and there's certainly a lot of information about this especially in the States where they are moving to ban plastic baby bottled in California.
I've looked into alternatives like Born Free or glass bottles, but I'm not sure if i'm just panicking, everyone else seems to using plastic bottles. Can anyone put my mind at ease?
rosierows
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:49 pm 
Post subject:
I have been aware of this issue for a while and stopped using all polycarbonate plastic feeding bottles as they all contain the dangerous Bisphenol A chemical, these include all the big selling bottles Avent, Playtech, Tommee Tippee and others.
I'm not sure what the chemical does and if it brings on early puberty, but it certainly worrying enough for the city of San Francisco to have recently banned all sales of polycarbonate baby bottles.
I switched to glass for a while which was OK, if a bit retro. After picking up the name on the Internet I ordered Born Free bottles which are made from a different safer type of plastic- Polyamide . The'ye been great and I would recommend them. They also have glass BTW.
The bottom line is we know so little, but I for one will not hang around only to be told in a few years that we've all made a big mistake and everyone is very sorry. My advice to you if you're worried is to to go glass or born free.
- rosie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular