Need help 2 get baby 2 go 2 sleep on own and sleep through

Jelly22
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:59 am 
Post subject: Need help 2 get baby 2 go 2 sleep on own and sleep through
Hi Mummies and Daddies out there, my baby is now 4 months and now I find I have no sleep routine during the day anymore. My baby has alot of awake time and the only signs of tiredness is grumpiness. When I try and put him down, he spits his dummy out within seconds and starts to do a mild cry. I suppose I return to the room too soon as I know he has spat his dummy out. In the end I pick him up (I know!!!! I shouldn't) and I nurse him to a nearly asleep state before putting him back in his cot. He sometimes goes to sleep but often cries straight away...... Need help on that please. I have read about controlled crying. Should I try that?

2nd problem; we have a bath/bed routine at night but no set bed time. He sleeps for either 4.5 hours or occassionally 5,6, 7, or even 8 once here or there.... Again, I need help to get him sleeping longer. He is always eyes open when I go in and always takes a feed. I have tried feeding him formula at night rather than breast, to try and give him more. Please give me some ideas..... thank you.
Deanobaby
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:33 pm 
Post subject:
At that age, I used to give the breast and a spoonful or two of baby rusk mixed in with the warm breast milk, this filled my kids up on their last feed for the night and settled them down longer. good luck.xxx

FD
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:54 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Jelly

Ask any health visitor or midwife and they will not advise that you add anything to the bottle!!

I believe your issue is that of a routine and understanding you childs sleep signs.(Although maybe starting to wean in the correct manner will assist - not through the bottle!)
At this age your child should be getting at least 12 -16 hours of sleep per day maybe even more. I found that if my kids didn't get enough sleep during the day they were not as good sleepers at night. (however I soon sorted that out the next day by sticking rigidly to my routine)

My advice (for what it is worth) is to try and establish a routine for your full day.
Get up at a set time
Feed at a set time
Put down to sleep at a set time (naps and night sleep)

It will take 2-3 weeks of hard work on your behalf before you will see the benefits but believe me it is worth it.
Both my kids (now age 1.5 and 3.5) have slept through the night from 16 weeks old and I can count on one hand the number of times either has woken during the night.

Try and look out for your baby sleep cues - girnning , yawning , rubbing eyes if you are unsure try him down anyway. If he wont go down after 5 or so mins crying bring him back down stairs, wait 5-10 mins and try again.
Try and get him to take all his naps in the same place i.e cot until you have his routine established then try in the pram for day naps and cot at night. or variations to suit .

Sorry gone on a bit , so hope this helps.

FD
ww.calmsleepingbaby.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular