Top tips

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:15 pm 
Post subject: Top tips
Hi everyone, just thought it might be good to start a thread of top tips - things we wish we had known before we had our babies etc... It might make a nice reference point for all those mums-to-be in the pregnancy forum!

Maybe give your 3 top tips?

Here are mine:
- The most important and most difficult thing in my opinion is to stay calm and relaxed, as babies pick up on your vibes.
- If you are feeling stressed or worried, try writing everything down (eg. when baby eats, sleeps etc), it helps to keep perspective and see what is actually happening.
- Babies can be really affected by being too cold! Poppy calmed instantly by having a cardigan on!

xBradenandDitax
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:14 pm 
Post subject:
Good idea, here are mine

-For the first few months work to the babies routine, don't try make baby work to yours.
-If you think you know what the baby wants give them it
-Dont listen too closely to what people tell ya, hvs included..your baby is different

x

xtine1985BScHons
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:19 pm 
Post subject:
My three are quite simple!

1. Remember you are the baby's mother YOU know best!
2. Related to the first but what you say goes with your baby, living with my parents was a big struggle cause my mother did try very hard to enforce her rules on Toby and most of them I didn't agree with!
3. Babies do not need loads of expensive toys they will do nothing but clutter up your house! Just a few simple rattles and everyone else will buy you toys trust me!
xx
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:11 pm 
Post subject:
I've only got 2 top tips Very Happy

1. never wake a sleeping baby
2. never move a happy baby

obviously sometimes you HAVE to, but for the first 3 or 4 months, this can really help.
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:26 pm 
Post subject:
here are mine Very Happy

1. you know best, if you take baby to docs and they say theres nothin really wrong and you still feel there is, get a second opinion elsewhere... my lil boy had scalded skin syndrome at 2 weeks old and it took 2 trips to the docs and a trip to a and e to get it diagnosed properly. then it took about 4 trips to different docs (was away at the time) to get his lactose intolerence sorted! mothers know best.

2. accept help, you might be someone who always copes with a siuation but you might need help in the first few weeks so if someone offers say yes and if they dont offer ask Smile

3. dont worry about a messy house if your on ur own or baby wont let you do anything, the pots and washing will be there tomorrow. spend as much time with ur baby as poss if they want it Smile
xXMummytoMatildaXx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:18 pm 
Post subject:
Aw cheers girls, we'll have to keep this at the top of the forum Smile
slummymummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:23 pm 
Post subject:
Ooo yeah, someone should make this a sticky. I would have found this really useful.

I would say not to have too many visitors in the first week. For the 2 weeks after he was born we had visitors morning and afternoon and i felt so tired and dazed, i really wish now that we'd just given ourselves a few days together to enjoy him ourselves x x x

xXMummytoMatildaXx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:27 pm 
Post subject:
Slummy mummy, I've got a weeks ban on visitor already! Smile Xx
slummymummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:35 pm 
Post subject:
I really don't blame you, it's your baby, so apart from very close relatives (only if you want) i wouldn't worry about offending people because you'll never get the time back after x

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:02 pm 
Post subject:
Glad you've all found this useful. Any more tips from any current Mummies?

emmaloo
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:08 pm 
Post subject:
My top one would have to be to keep a bottle of infacol in,from birth,and if you notice that baby isnt getting as much wind up as usual and seems unhappy and hard to settle,and this lasts for more than 5 or 6 hours use it!! when my dd started with colic at 3wks it was the worst 2/3 days ive ever had with her,if id have been able to give her something for it sooner,it would have been so much better for all of us!

second,a matress protector for the cot,to stop those exploding poos that always seem to leak UP the back in the early days,staining your lovely,new,expensive matresses! Laughing

Third,try and put baby to bed upstairs in the dark,while he/she is still awake,as soon as you feel comfortable doing so,this helps them learn how to settle themselves from an early age,and not need to be comforted to sleep(which is really helpful later on)it also gives you a bit of time on an evening to relax a bit before going to bed,i found i couldnt stop watching her and clucking over her if we kept her downstairs in the moses basket until we went to bed.xx

MrsMummy
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:11 pm 
Post subject:
1) routine is soo important, try and get them in a routine from a younf age and put them down awake from young so they get use to it
2) don't leave a baby cry, if they want a cuddle give them a cuddle, a newborn doesn't even know what attention is, they are not crying for it, they are crying because they want a cuddle
3)tresure every single moment and don't rush them to grow too quickly, it goes so fast
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:08 am 
Post subject:
This thread is so useful, particularly the stuff about visitors. I posted on the labour and birth forum last night. My mum is insistent she wants to know as soon as I go into labour and as soon as the baby is here and she intends to visit in hospital as soon as she can!! She actually said "If you go into labour on Wednesday night and have him/her thursday morning I could visit on Thursday afternoon, that's my afternoon off!!

My feeling is nooooo that's too soon, I guess I'll just have to firmly and politely ask her to back off a bit. Banning visitors for a week sound like a great top tip!!
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:09 pm 
Post subject:
Mines would be:

1. Learn how to make animal noises, make stupid faces, sing, how to blow good raspberries from day one......nothing beats mummy making a fool of herself in asda to stop a crying baby!!!!! Old Macdonald's Farm is a good song!!!!!!
2. Bath and massage every night before bed! No matter what time but it really helped me get Lewis into a bedtime routine. He always associates bathtime with bedtime now so it's great.
3. WALK!!! Get out of the house no matter if you have a coat over your jammies...it really does work when you feel about to cry! It may seem a tiring thought but most babies settle in the pram so it actually gives you a break and you lose weight which makes you feel more confident too.

Totally agree with the visitor thing. My MIL tried to bring the entire family to my house on one afternoon and I just said NO WAY!!!! Also the housework thing....don't do it!!!!! Laughing
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
Also for anyone who has digital tv, Cbeebies has Bob the Builder karaoke on interactive just now and its fab fun for mum and baby!!!!
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

Community

Popular