Top tips

emmafield82
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:03 pm 
Post subject:
* I use cheapest brand kitchen roll sheets under his bum bum when I do nappy time to save the mat and keep him clean whilst wiping other bits.

* Put up pictures (I have a laminated wedding pic) and objects to distract during nappy time. Sruli loves to look at his 'Its A Boy!' balloon, a rubby ducky and our wedding pic.

* Put bright squares of wrapping paper on his nursery wall

*Put enlarged smiling photos of you or hubby on his nursery wall

* encourage them to use a blankie toy to keep them comforted.

* after washing his bed sheets sleep with them under your pillow so it gets your scent on it before using it for baby
Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:52 pm 
Post subject:
Sleep when they sleep and this isnt just when newborn. I actually didnt do it when she was tiny and should have. I do nowadays!

Dont compare. You baby will do things their way in their time and will tie you in knots if you compare them with others their age

Dont be afraid to be a loon. Kids love funny faces and singing.

Talk to your baby. Even if you are just brushing your hair tell your bubba what you are doing and they get so much out of just hearing your voice.

Have a good routine early on. Not neccesarily for feeding but for bedtime. We started our bedtime routine at a week old and she slept 12 hours a night from 14 weeks onwards and still does unless teething

Trust your instincts, they rarely lead you wrong

Take all those baby books you have on your shelves, bid them a fond farewell and THROW THEM AWAY. Instead find a couple of friends or family with kids who you trust and use them as your sounding board. Books make you doubt yourself!!!

notthemama
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:57 pm 
Post subject:
watch a lot of other kids and learn haha
Pigkate
Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:40 pm 
Post subject:
1. Don't give yourself such a hard time - some babies just take more time to get used to things and learn thing than others. Just because you know some one whose baby slept through the night and loved a routine within five minutes doesn't mean you're doing something wrong if yours doesn't do the same.

2. Listen to your baby - it took me over four months to realise I had been panicking every time Felix cried rather than paying attention to what he was trying to tell me. I realised I had not calmed down and taken time to get to know my own baby. It took two painful weeks of watching him and writing everything down to get my confidence back and start to understand him.

3. Have the confidence to do what YOU know is right - everyone and their mothers will give you opinions and advice but only do what you are comfortable with.

4. You cannot 'spoil' babies - they need lots of love, attention, cuddles, kisses and will grow to be more secure and confident people if you give them everything they need when they're so little. Discipline, rules and independence can wait until they are actually ready to learn these things.

5. Take all the help you can get and seek it if needs be - there will be times when you struggle or even feel you really can't cope. Let the people who love you help you and milk the healthcare system for all it can give you in terms of the help on offer (that's what it's there for).
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:49 am 
Post subject: Re:Top tips
Here is my top three list.

1. I agree with Luckyducky that the most important is to relax and stay calm. It is so tiring being a parent and the best thing to do is learn to relax and stay calm. Go to spa once in a while or hire a massage therapist to massage your tense away. Drinking chamomile tea helps and listening to soft music calms me down.

2. Stay away from junk food and soda. Eat nutritious food as much as you can because our body need proper nutrition to over come stress. The more healthy food we eat the more energy we have to take good care of our babies and husband.

3. Having children does shift our attention from ourselves and our spouse so the third important thing for me is have quality time with my husband. Like going out together for a couple of hours like we use to before we had children. Watch favorite movies, eat out on favorite restaurant or just strolling in the mall. Hire someone whom you totally trust to take care of your children for 2 to 3 hours once in awhile so you and your spouse can go out on a date just like the old days. Razz

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:29 am 
Post subject:
All these tips are really very essential to know and the most important and basic tips that should be known are, when baby is sleeping then dont make hm/her awake and even when he/she is in half sleep dont wake up, otherwise she will get disturb.

Thanks
Katiesmummy
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:14 pm 
Post subject:
Ok as a mum to 3 aged 15yrs 12yrs and 3months advice i offer is..

1. Make a date with your hubby once a month
2. allow him to do things his way, remember thats its different not wrong..(lol)
3. I agree with everyone that says you cant spoil a baby. If they need comforting, then do it, it wont make them clingy.
4. The most expensive is not actually the best, buy basics thats all you will need, a pushchair is a pushchair regardless of name, a babygrow is the same if its from Harrods or Asda etc... you get my drift and your baby couldnt care less..
5. Any yes your baby is the bestest baby in the world....xx
Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:57 am 
Post subject:
Something that took me a few weeks to learn ! if baby wakes up it doesn't mean you need to pick them up straight away (unless been long time between feeds or the are pooey !) they might be happy to lie there for a bit or might go back to sleep. This gets you an extra bit of lying down time or time to do stuff in house.

Have enough baby bed sheets, bibs and mulins so you don;t need to wash every day !
I found Matalan has really really good baby bedding for a few

Keep visitors to the minimum and if people do come when you arrange it say something like - it would be lovely to see you for half hour/hour then you can come for longer visit next month. So they know its just a quick one in advance.

You don;t need to get dressed for the midwife/health visitor or anyone else !
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:41 pm 
Post subject:
my top tips would

1. sleep when you can ............ even if it 3 in the afternoon!
2.if your baby wants picking up do it, they will be happier than if you ignore them
3. learn to tune out all the conflicting "advice" that you get from family, professionals and tv ect follow your instincts they are probably right.
4. accept help but also accept that someone else will do things differently to you
5. get out the house even if it is just for a short walk, you will feel better for it
6. (this helped me alot with a colicky baby) SOMETIMES BABY'S CRY AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO HELP, IT ISN'T YOUR FAULT YOU ARE NOT A BAD PARENT.
7. following on with the one above : if you find that you are struggling to cope with a constantly crying baby then put them some where safe (like in their crib) and go downstairs and make your self a cup of tea. by the time you are finished drinking it you will be calmer and ready to go and help your baby again.

and remember although it doesn't seem to. the first 6 months fly by

treasure every moment and take 1000's of photo's!
Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:57 am 
Post subject: new
hi everyone im a teen dad and am about to have a little girl in a day or so really excited can wir till she gets here hop me and me wife can ask for some help Razz
Xandersmum
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:58 pm 
Post subject:
1) muslin cloths, muslin cloths and more muslin cloths!!!! when I bought them being a first time mum I got them as I read they are very useful but for what I wasn't sure? Now I know, obviously for those milky spit ups especially if you have like Xander a reflux baby but also for putting on your lap when he hasn't pooped for a while and you are giving him a lovely warm feed as that is usually when they do it and it explodes out the side all over you and lastly can be used as a sun shield over the pram or car seat without suffocating them by using a thicker blanket.

2) Buy lots of cheap plastic backed bibs again especially if you have a reflux baby better to change a bib 10 times a day rather than changing their clothes.

3) For new born rash get oilatum prescribed by GP liquid bath and cream works wonders but costs a fortune don't let HV or GP say it's just a rash they'll grow out of it as my HV said that for first couple of visits but then when visiting GP about something else he said he would also give us oilatum to sort his rash out and within a week it was gone now I just get a repeat prescription when I run out and Xander's skin is so good!!

4) last thing for those mums still expecting, don't let your midwife dig around under your tummy to try and feel the head of the baby etc it is really not nessecary, they say it helps to gauge the baby's position but they can do that from listening where the heart beat is and I let mine do this each visit which was always really uncomfortable and now I have very deep stretch marks only there where she used to dig her hand in! I think sometimes they want to test out what they have been taught aswell as use the technology thaey now have.
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:18 pm 
Post subject:
Hi everyone. Mine would be to unplug the phone at a night time just before little one falls to sleep. You can always guarantee someone will call just as they fall asleep. I would also agree with the post on getting into a good routine, we didn't as our precious bundle of joy had severe colic but we are now trying but it would have been a whole lot easier if we had started earlier.

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  

Community

Popular