Blooming employers

Chutzpah
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:59 pm 
Post subject: Blooming employers
Please bear with me, I really need to rant a bit. My wife's boss is really beginning to **** me off.

First she phoned me earlier to say that her manager and her area manager both "hinted" today that they would like her to take her maternity leave just after the beginning of July, nearly two months before the baby is due. Their reasoning? They have a sale starting then and think that she might not be able to cope.

Well, that's illegal. I told her that if they suggest it again she can tell them to suspend her on full pay.

And now I've just found out that her boss has mentioned that she probably won't get a lunch break next Wednesday. She has to go to the doctors first thing in the morning for a pregnancy check up and will get into work an hour 'late'. But.......

Employers have to give pregnant workers time off for antenatal appointments by law. And on that day she will be working more than six hours so will be entitled to at least a 20 minute break.

So on this occasion I've told her to politely yet firmly request a break. If she says no, say she really needs a time to go on her break. And if she still says no, head off out anyway. She can try and take disciplinary action.

Some of you may remember she's had problems at work already, with her boss telling her at eight weeks not to get too excited in the early stages as she might miscarry and the assistant manager telling her that she shouldn't feel tired in the early stages and to stop making excuses.
Cleo2008
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:11 am 
Post subject:
good on you sounds to me that they are bullying your wife because she pregnant
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:53 am 
Post subject:
Chutzpah - OMG do you know I hear about this all the time and it makes my blood boil, I work for a Local Authority and to say they are very very careful with pregnant employees is an understatement, tell your wife to stand strong you need to log conversations, dates, times and content etc then present these 2 b***es with it if need be. I cannot believe that another 'woman' would tell her not to get too excited how utterly disgusting, do you know it sounds like jealousy to me. I have been told I can take time off for Aquanatal classes at our local leisure centre also, tell her to enrol that will really hack them off. I am very strong willed and I do appreciate that not everyone can be but sounds like you are for her (which is lovely). Good luck sounds like these two need some HR training, fast.

Kind regards, Flossie.

Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:05 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Chutzpah, I've just written about this similar topic in the Talk section and i'm guessing your wife works in retail like me. Read my post and you'll see I understand!!!!! If your wife wants to PM me for a rant to someone who knows exactly how she feels, let her know! Smile My boss actually makes me launch the sales and run around like a mentalist doing the work I really shouldn't be doing at 24 weeks pregnant!!!! I had the midwife yesterday and even though I haven't taken one appt paid yet as they've always fallen not in working time, yesterdays one caused so much hassle it was unreal!!! She says I owe back 2 hours beacause I hadn't done my contract hours (i would have done 38.5 out 39 if I counted my midwife appt as 1 hour and I left work only 15 mins before the appt!!!!!!)
All i hear from my boss is how she only had bad morning sickness and no other problems and how she could hang wallpaper and was up a ladder etc etc. Every time I say anything about a stretching pain, sore feet etc she acts to the rest of the staff (who are all really young and not had kids)as if i'm making it all up!
Good luck and hope your wife gets on ok,
xxxxxx
Chutzpah
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:16 pm 
Post subject:
I find it amazing that it always seems to be the female bosses!

I know a lot as I used to be a manager for a large national company. They had very certain procedures and paperwork for pregnant people and I even had to do a course on rights and responsibilities as part of my training. It is from this how I know so much about the law.

When I had a pregnant member of staff we did all the paperwork, I set aside ten minutes to run her through the maternity pack then we had monthly (and later weekly) reviews to ensure she was coping OK in what could be a fast-moving environment. I just can't believe that someone - especially a woman since us men are meant to be the horrid ones! - can have this uncaring attitude.
Chutzpah
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:24 pm 
Post subject:
cjarchibald wrote:
Hi Chutzpah, I've just written about this similar topic in the Talk section and i'm guessing your wife works in retail like me. Read my post and you'll see I understand!!!!! If your wife wants to PM me for a rant to someone who knows exactly how she feels, let her know! Smile

No way, this is my domain! She has her own pregnancy forums and I have mine. This way I can rant about any hormone rages she goes on without any comeback! Wink
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:32 pm 
Post subject:
Hahahaha I love it!!! It's so nice to see there are men who are so interested in their babies! My hubby is pertrified the minute I mention the E word ...... Episiotomy!!!!! Oh by the way if you rant in about hormones in a forum full of women you may get comeback ten fold!!! x
Chutzpah
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:16 pm 
Post subject:
To be fair, her hormones mainly make her cry at the most ridiculous things on TV Razz
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:20 pm 
Post subject:
That's me aswell....he keeps saying "what can i do to stop you crying" and all i can say through the snot and tears (from watching something pathetic like Hollyoaks!) "just give me a cuddle you sh*thead" Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy I can see the fear in his eyes the minute my bottom lip starts to tremble over CSI !!!!!! Smile
gingin
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:53 am 
Post subject:
i havent read all the posts here but please please please listen to me - i was an employer and i had to learn about all the pluses and minuses laws etc and trust me the law is very in favour of your wife and by the sounds of it her employer hasnt done their homework about employment law - i have oodles of literature about it and trust me as a former employer your wifes boss is treading on very thin ice - i would find out a little about your nearest "tribunal" rep etc, just by reading what you have written you already have a case ! its a very very scary area and honestly the law is very very much on side with employees not the employer - if i recall it is mandatory to allow pregnant employees time out for doctors - the employer cannot interfere or stop or prevent or restrict this - I dont think they can force an employee to take maternity leave at their "times" - suggest maybe that there are several breaches of the law and you should document as much as possible - there have been a number of cases taken to tribunal and they generally always go in favour of employee with a large payout and a huge fine for employer !!
g
x
xamberx
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:45 am 
Post subject:
hello evrybody, i have a similar problem, last week i had to days off work as cudnt stop being sick and my boss told me yday that hes going to have to get sum1 to replace me, he sed i wasnt sacked and that he wud still need help on sat and mon mornings so basically he is pushing me out because i was unable to attend work those days, and he sed the problem is going to get worse bcoz im only 15 weeks, im nt rly sure wot to do, i have to actually wrk wv him as wrk in a fruit and veg shop and ther is only me and him and 1 other employee, im nt going to let him cut my hrs dwn that much as i want b able to survive, im only 20 and have taken loans out and got a contract fone etc, sorry to go on bt does anybody have any advice it wud b greatly appreciated, thnx xx
Chutzpah
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:26 am 
Post subject:
gingin wrote:
i havent read all the posts here but please please please listen to me - i was an employer and i had to learn about all the pluses and minuses laws etc and trust me the law is very in favour of your wife and by the sounds of it her employer hasnt done their homework about employment law - i have oodles of literature about it and trust me as a former employer your wifes boss is treading on very thin ice - i would find out a little about your nearest "tribunal" rep etc, just by reading what you have written you already have a case ! its a very very scary area and honestly the law is very very much on side with employees not the employer - if i recall it is mandatory to allow pregnant employees time out for doctors - the employer cannot interfere or stop or prevent or restrict this - I dont think they can force an employee to take maternity leave at their "times" - suggest maybe that there are several breaches of the law and you should document as much as possible - there have been a number of cases taken to tribunal and they generally always go in favour of employee with a large payout and a huge fine for employer !!
g
x

Hi Gingin, as I said I'm an ex-employer myself so quite well versed. I just had to rant somewhere so this was the place I chose to do it! Maybe also to remind others that they should be bullied at work and have the right to take a stand for themselves... unfortunately it appears from replies on here that this sort of attitude by managers is all too prevalent.

xamberx wrote:
hello evrybody, i have a similar problem, last week i had to days off work as cudnt stop being sick and my boss told me yday that hes going to have to get sum1 to replace me, he sed i wasnt sacked and that he wud still need help on sat and mon mornings so basically he is pushing me out because i was unable to attend work those days, and he sed the problem is going to get worse bcoz im only 15 weeks, im nt rly sure wot to do, i have to actually wrk wv him as wrk in a fruit and veg shop and ther is only me and him and 1 other employee, im nt going to let him cut my hrs dwn that much as i want b able to survive, im only 20 and have taken loans out and got a contract fone etc, sorry to go on bt does anybody have any advice it wud b greatly appreciated, thnx xx

Hi Amber (I'm guessing that's your name)

If you've got a contract of work then he is in breach of that (if you've got nothing written down on paper don't worry, just the fact that you've done those hours and days for a certain amount of time will still be a contract). You could change someone's work pattern or dismiss them on terms of capability to do the job, but taking one day sick for a pregnancy-related illness is hardly that. There are a lot of 'hoops' to jump through for an employee to make changes to your contract.

I would give your local citizen's advice bureau a call, they are really helpful for things such as this.
xamberx
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:07 pm 
Post subject:
thnx alot sum1 else suggested this so am going to ring them tomorrow. thnx agen
gingin
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:45 pm 
Post subject:
being pregnant is stressful enough without additional unness stress - remember though to write everything down and where possible get said "ignorant" employer to put things in writing - it was so dificult actually being an employer but perhaps i knew too much ?? we had an employee who after starting announced she was 5 months pregnant - there was nothing we could do - she returned to work on her terms - it disrupted everything and everyone - in the end i had grounds to dismiss her but it was a very very stressful time !
good luck
g
x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular