first scan

Kenty
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:01 am 
Post subject: first scan
i recieved a letter today with my date of scan, is 15th april so i'm well excited!!

it says though that i won't see the doctor or midwife, it's just a dating scan...is this normal? i've not yet been given an appointment for a midwife or anything.

it also says ensure you bring your hand held notes...what are these? i've not been given anything or had any contact with anyone medical since i had my pregnancy confirmed at 7weeks.

sorry if i sound a little stupid but this is my first!

RHL
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:23 am 
Post subject:
Hi Kenty
Congratulations! I am also pregnant with my first and my scan is booked for 9th April when I will be 13 weeks. You don't sound stupid at all, i am quite surprised about how much the medical profession leaves us 'first time mums' to it!

I went to my GP as soon as I found out I was pregnant but she didn't give me very much information and just told me to make an appointment with the Midwife on my way out. But then receptionist then told me the midwife would not want to see me till I was about 10 weeks, so to be honest I felt a bit in limbo for a while, and had to save up all my questions till I eventually saw her.

That was 2 weeks ago and at that appointment she took my history, and lots of bloods and gave me my scan appointment. I wasn't given any notes to take away or anything.

If I were you i would try ringing the number that is (hopefully) on your letter about the scan, or if not, get back in touch with your GP. I think it is normal practice to have your bloods and history taken a week or so before the scan, although some people i know have had both done on the same day. Rolling Eyes

Good luck x
Kenty
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:45 pm 
Post subject:
congratulations to you too! and thanks for the advice. i'm in two minds whether to contact my local hospital and ask to be sure or not, i guess it can't hurt!

lisaken
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:53 pm 
Post subject:
hi girls dont no wher u live but i got my notes after my scan as it gives u the date your due good luck u will love seeing your lil one xxxx
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:57 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Girls, i had my booking in appointment with midwife at 6 weeks, she gave me a set of note to take with me, and lots of books and info, i've got my scan 10th april so mega excited now! i had one at 7 weeks due to abdominal pain and all was well it was just a blob with a heartbeat bless! can't wait to see it again you will love it!!! good luck, i'm sure they will give you notes at scan xx
Sam xxxx

Maxey
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:30 am 
Post subject:
Hi, I also had a midwife appointment at 8 weeks at the local GP. They filled out a long booklet with all my information and booked me in for blood tests, which I had friday. My scan is 7th April (yeah, can't wait!). I have to take this booklet to all appointments. It has a table in it for all the scan results and various pages for notes.
Maybe they will go through the form and take the blods before they do your scan.
I would phone your GP or midwife associated with your GP to ask what you should do as I thought they needed the bloods before the scan.
Good luck, I'm sure it will all work out.
Max xx
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:26 pm 
Post subject:
hi all, weve had 2 scans so far, one was at 3wks 3days where NOTHING was showing obviously but due to serious lower abdo pains they had to try and eliminate ectopic preg, we had another one at 5wks 3 days where we saw the gestational sac and what looked like a grain of rice...but all in the right place PHEW!!, were now waiting for a booking in appointment and to get the ball really going, we can't wiat either. Ive been told to book appt with my gp around 7th april so she can give me a full m.o.t and give the all systems go to the midwife, so excited, time is flying so its all good xxxx
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:48 pm 
Post subject:
before ur 12 weeks scan u shud have been to c the midwife and had a booking in appointment, this is wer u get ur notes and they go thru evrythn wv u basiacally and take bloods etc, bt like u i dint c 1 till afta scan its fine tho dnt worry and as for ur scan hope ur lukin 4wrd its the best feeling ever, make sure u drnk plenty of water an ur pic will b alot clearer and theyl b able t c it betta on screen gd luk x
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:06 pm 
Post subject:
i have had 3 scans so far and ALL were before my midwife appointment and i had no notes. ones at 5 weeks, one at 6 weeks and one at 12 weeks. i then had booking in appointment a few days after my 12 week scan where they gave me my notes and yellow book. i wouldnt worry too much about it hun as every area is different and follows different things.
hoping4
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:14 pm 
Post subject:
i think thing must vary alot depending where you live i am down in cornwall and i have always seen my midwife and had bloods and notes etc quite quickly because down here it is the midwife that arranges your 12 wk scan sorry prob not much help but maybe you shoud querie it as surely you will need some notes ??????? hope all goes wellxx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular