Charting BBT

jenniP35
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:04 pm 
Post subject: Charting BBT
Right ladies, here's a question I can't find an answer to anywhere on the net.

I chart my BBT but I work shifts so if I have been night shift it might be 1pm before I chart, if I am on day shift I usually wake up (for the loo) at 4:30 and take it then. Last night I was working til 3am so took it this morning at 9am. Some times I'll take it at 4:30 then again when I wake at 5:30 to see if there is any difference!!!

I should be post ovulation but don't have a rise in temp.

All the info says take it at the same time evey day but thats impossible for me.

Any ideas apart from having a kip during the night shift Smile
rosie36
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:47 pm 
Post subject:
youre usually a mine full of information jenni, cant believe you havewnt found the answer Laughing i have never tried to chart my bbt cos i quite often wake up for the loo in the night and ive read that doing this wouldnt give you a true reading? id go on keeping dancing for another day or so if possible, just to be sure. or find a comfy corner on your night shift and snooze! Smile sorry im not much help. x
jenniP35
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:01 pm 
Post subject:
Cheers Rosie, didn't think I would get a definitive answer unless there was a fertility doc somewhere out there reading this!!
Cazza9
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:42 pm 
Post subject:
Jenni, I'm afraid I'm not much help.. it probably doesn't make a huge difference on time of day so long as you get same amount of sleep, and take temp as soon as you wake up.

I have only started charting my BBT, and my cycle is completly out of sync as only came off pill in feb. Mine seems to show a rise, which I assumed mean't ovulation (on day 22) it is still contunually rising everyday, I am now on day 34, I would exect it to start going down by now.. have you ever had this? Is that normal? Question
Poppy99
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:55 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Cazza, They say you should expect to see a rise for 12-16 days after ovulation ie. first day your temp has risen by atleast two tenths of a degree, temp normally rises after ovulation. This is the 'luteal' phase of your cycle after this phase you should then receive a visit from the 'decorators' - unless of course you fell pregnant inwhich case the progesterone will continue to be produced hence no drop in temp again. They say if your high temps continue for 18 or more days with no sign of period then its a good indication of pregnancy. Bear in mind though thay your hormones could be out of balance if you have recently come off the pill. Hope this makes sense Smile

Jenni, Not sure if its much help but I checked a section in my fertility bible about Night shift work and BBT, here is roughly what it says: The definition of BBT is the temp first thing upon awakening, which will not be the morning for those who work nights (unless job is really boring and you sleep through!) The general rule in night shift situations is still take your temp 1st thing upon waking, but, it should be 1st thing upon waking from longest most restfull sleep, for many it may be late afternoon or evening. If you work various shifts, you will find it more challenging to see a clear pattern of lows and highs. depending on your work schedule, you may still be able to identify a clear thermal shift for every cycle, but if not you may need to rely on the other fertilty signs....sorry does not sound all that helpful but i thought you may find some use from it.
Cazza9
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:44 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Poppy, I keep on eye on my chart over the next week ! Smile
jenniP35
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:13 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for that Poppy. I don't think the charts are very useful for me. I finally got a rise in temp today from 36.44 to 37.0, day 20 and 4 days after the day I think I ovulated. Have had very little or no CM for those 4 days so think I'm right with that.

I 'half' woke up this morning about 6 when OH was getting up for work. I must have automatically stuck the thermometer in my mouth and fallen aslepp cos when I woke up properly at 7:30 it was still in the bed with me Laughing
Poppy99
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:19 pm 
Post subject:
Hi jenni, How is all the baby making going? Just had to chuckle at your last post especially after seeing th doc today - he said to me the optimum way of taking your temp is up the bum! Embarassed Whatever you do DONT fall asleep if you try taking it that way!! Ouch! Not sure I'm gonna take him up on that advice, have to keep some diginity somewhere surely? He is sending me for blood tests so guess I will see what they come back with before getting that desperate Laughing
honie
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:24 pm 
Post subject:
hi im new to this site just wanted say good luck and haope everything goes well for u
jenniP35
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:41 pm 
Post subject:
Poppy99 wrote:
Hi jenni, How is all the baby making going? Just had to chuckle at your last post especially after seeing th doc today - he said to me the optimum way of taking your temp is up the bum! Embarassed Whatever you do DONT fall asleep if you try taking it that way!! Ouch! Not sure I'm gonna take him up on that advice, have to keep some diginity somewhere surely? He is sending me for blood tests so guess I will see what they come back with before getting that desperate Laughing

Hi Poppy

Just read this!!!!!!

Ch***t I have enough trouble finding my mouth in the morning never mind my a**e. You dr is a funny bloke. I am due tomorrow and had a BFN today but it was at tea time. Don't feel pg but who knows. How are you doing X
Poppy99
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:27 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya Jenni, Laughing thought that would make you chuckle! Doc does seem to have a sense of humour but he can stick his thermometer where the sun don't shine 'cause I sure aint Smile I'm fine thanks, not preggers yet, had blood tests taken today to check hormones, thyriod etc so wait and see if anything shows. In a way I am hoping it does, atleast then we know what the prob is and should be able to do something about it rather than this long waiting game. If nothing shows I am thinking of putting a hold on the 'trying' and just leave it to nature. Tis all getting very strained but on the other hand it feels like giving up and I really dont wanna do that. Either way feels like a loosing streak especially with hubbies history of TTC with wifey #1 it is all a bit of a sore point for him which makes it harder and we could end up clashing soon...... but I'm boring you now so will leave you to your day/night.

Fingers crossed for you, hope the decorators dont show, keep me posted. x
jenniP35
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:07 am 
Post subject:
Hi Poppy

How are you? Thought I had timed everything right this month but so far no BFP. Period was due yesterday ot today but no sign and no signs of pg either. I've had a definate thermal shift this month though so will know when to expect ov next month.

When do you get the results of your blood tests and what would be the next step if there is something not quite right. Has your OH been for any tests? Men are funny about these things. I jokingly said to my OH that I had to take a sample of his sperm to the midwife when I went for a chat with her an he wasn't happy!!!!!!!

Anyway you keep your chin up and keep me posted Wink X
honie
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:25 am 
Post subject:
hi jenni just wanted to say good luck it must be a nightmare havin to wait i am too i wil find out at the end of the month if i am pregnant so fingers crossed we both get some good news
the end of the month seems so far away
jenniP35
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:54 am 
Post subject:
Thanks Honie

I always assume I'm not pg and then if it turns out I am its a bonus.

Good luck to you X
obe
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:29 am 
Post subject:
Hi Jennip and Poppy,
Just had to say thanks for making me chuckle about the charting up the bum! That would be hilarious my hubby would think I'd gone mad! I get some really erratic temps so often wonder if there is a better way to take them but not sure I'll be trying it that way! Also Poppy I am like you awaiting news on blood tests so anxious to know what the results are.......we've been trying since Sept last year and I went to docs cos keep spotting before and in between periods. Also she said we might as well get my hubby tested which we have been having a laugh about as she gave him a tiny little urine sample bottle for him to aim it in!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular