Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:09 pm
Post subject: What not to buy?
I am currently in the process of sorting out all my baby stuff for the charity shop/car boot and thought that it could be useful if we have something on here about stuff you've bought and not really used, or stuff you wouldn't be without. It could help those expecting a new mums make decisions about what they really need for their baby and potentially save them money.
Stuff that was a waste
Baby Bath (a total waste of money)
Moses Basket (as Luke was a big baby)
Bebe Pod (like a Bumbo, great for helping babies sit but Luke was sitting unaided at just over 4mths so a waste for me)
New Born Clothes
Stuff I wouldn't be without
New born baby bath seat (brilliant)
6mth + Bath seat (brilliant)
Cot Top Changing mat (£14.99 from Babysrus and they are brilliant)
Bath Temp tester
Baby sleeping bags
Hope this helps some people not waste money as I did. lol.
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:27 pm
totally agree on the moses basket being a waste of money, andrew isnt a very big baby and he was in his for maybe 4 weeks then he went in his cot.
my fave thing ive bought is my changing table as i found i was getting a bad back changing him on my knee etc.
bouncy chair is a god send dont know where id be without it.
i personally have used my baby bath but i must admit it is awkward.
dummies are a god send too for me but its up to each parent if they want to use them obviously.
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:36 pm
waste of money -
moses basket + stand
monitors, can hear him thru the walls lol
nappy bin x2
looooaaadddsss of bibs
Baby bath has been used for 13 weeks so far so cant really complain!
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:19 pm
i agree with the bibs, i have loads and still run out really quick! shoes were a big waste to me, have loads she's never worn! i agree on the monitors too.... my mum bought me some with motion sensor (cost around £70) and i hardly used them. those baby carriers that you wear on your front (hope you know what i mean) are terrible, they dont feel secure and kill your back, would definatley advise against them!
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:53 am
Have to totally disagree on the moses basket being a waste, Freya is still in hers and as there is limited space in the house at the mo, it has been a god send!!
My life savers have been,
Dummies (have got a cupboard full!!!)
Baby swing (great for getting her off to sleep during the day)
Waste of money,
Baby bath (Freya hates it and we are now showering together!)
Bibs (I just use a muslin)
Shoes (she just kicks them off!!)
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:02 pm
I completely agree with you about the bath! I use mine as a washing basket now though as I am determined to get my money's worth!
Newborn clothes were a bit of a waste for me to but Toby was a bigun!
Couldn't live without the bouncy chair in the first few months it was brilliant!
I lvoe Toby's bumb although he seems to be getting a bit big for it now but its great for feeding him his breakfast in the morning!
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:14 pm
Couldn't live without:
Dummy in the first couple of months
Monitor - have to disagree with others here, we just have a sound one, not motion but is great for reassurance, especially if you need to pop out to the garden or at someone else's house where the walls are thicker and you can't hear her cry.
Bibs - Poppy lives in them at the moment as otherwise would be changing her top every 2 minutes as she dribbles or sicks on it.
Bath support (not baby bath)
Total waste of money:
Lots of toys - she only plays with one or two at the moment.
Automatic rocking seat - My mum got this for us and it is just so bulky we have had to put it in the loft as don't have space to put it up!
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:36 pm
Waste of time/money
- Baby bath
- Baby shoes
- Baby oil things we were given
- Monitors, our house is quite big so you can hear them through the walls and over the noise of our family
- Front slings, especially when they're both crying, i have one in a car seat/buggy and the other on my front.
- Nappie genie bin
- Cot changing top
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:29 pm
Waste of money
- sling (used it a couple of times but he only liked it when he was tiny
- moses basket in a way (we were given my orig vintage one but we wouldn't buy one cos Lewis was only in it for 4 wks and then had to sleep in his carrycot until his big cot)
- baby talc and baby oil
- cotton wool balls
- tommy tippee bottles (only cos lewis had colic and they didn't help)
- tommy tippee sothers (no cap so they get minging and they make you buy a seperate pod to put them in!)
- pre walker shoes (fall off and lewis hates them!)
- those burp cloth things (not muslins the other ones!) when a baby spews you need more than those teeny things!
- bouncy chair
- door bouncer
- cotton wool pleats and pads (for changing bum when tiny before babywipes)
- olive oil for baby massaging and overdue dry skin
- dr browns bottles
- avent soothers cos they have little caps to stop them getting dirty
- hot water bottle to warm bed!!!!
- nappy bin!!!! love it!!!!!
- Gap socks (they never fall off and you can usually get them at the till in the bargain bin for 99p!)
- digital/sky tv for kids channels!!!
- video monitors (so you can see whether they are really awake or just babbling)
- baby bath (lewis is still in his at 16wks)
- sponge bath support (great so you can have two hands to wash
I'm not on here all the time so if you need anything PM me Arch x
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:01 pm
have to agree,about the baby bath,easier to put baby in bath with you(have even put her in the kitchen sink!)both options easier than all that bending when youve just had the baby,and may have stitches and are still sore.
godsend for me was the grow bag sleepingbag,as neve was a winter baby i knew she wouldnt be able to kick the covers off and get cold.also pampers bed mats stopped the matress getting soiled when she had leaky accidents xx
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:42 pm
waste of money for me
baby bath (mine always came in with me, filling the baby bath was a pain in the bum
moses basket, not in it for long enough
baby sling, i used mine once
shoes, they really don't need them , let there fet be free lol
things i loved
baby gym to go over chaning mat
there are probaby so many other things but i can't think lol