Making up of formula bottles - advice required

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:35 am 
Post subject: Making up of formula bottles - advice required
Hi

Some of you ladies might have seen my posts regarding lo who has started to refuse the breast. I have been expressing and giving via a bottke and on the odd occasion have toppedup with a little formula from a carton.

Sounds stupid but how do you make it from the powder form, I keep getting conflicting advice. As per the brand I have bought it says boil the kettle, leave for 30 mins, make up, then cool immediately, then have 2 hours to use the feed.

Firstly, do I really have to wait 30 mins for it to cool (bearing in mind I feed on demand). Secondly do I have to cool it immediately, or can I leave it to stand until lo wants it (as long as she drinks in the 2 hour limit)

Thanks
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:52 am 
Post subject:
Well I tend to boil the kettle, wait for it to cool and fill all my bottles using that water and leave it. Nothing can get in there cause the lid is on the bottle. Then I have formula in the little pots that I quickly pour into the bottle when needed and give it to Harry. If Im going to warm it I stick it in some hot water if not, he has it cooled.

I never give him milk from a bottle that I made up and he drank from more than 2 hours ago.

Miriam84
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:16 pm 
Post subject:
The advice here in the ROI has changed, they say you can make up the bottles and leave them at the back of the fridge for up to 24 hrs. Once LO has drunk from the bottle though you have to throw it away after 2 hrs.
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:39 pm 
Post subject:
I tend to boil the kettle, pour into the bottle and leave to cool. I also used to to make up bottles as well and keep in the fridge. Guidelines do change but as the doctors keep telling me just do what you think is best.

Theosmum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:48 pm 
Post subject:
I do the same as RacheynHarry.

I pour boiled water from the kettle into 3 bottles at a time and leave it to cool. Then I add the formula when Annabelle wants a feed and warm it up in my bottle warmer.

TBH if you're feeding on demand (which I pretty much still am) it seems a bit unrealistic to wait 30 mins for the water to cool down. Especially during the night - there's no way I'm going to get up 30 mins before she might need a feed! Shocked

I did it the same way with Theo and both he and Annabelle have been totally fine.

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:58 pm 
Post subject:
Miriam84 wrote:
The advice here in the ROI has changed, they say you can make up the bottles and leave them at the back of the fridge for up to 24 hrs. Once LO has drunk from the bottle though you have to throw it away after 2 hrs.

i found similar information to that online, but it was only to keep them for 12 hours. I did it with Sam and she was fine. the reason i made mine in advance was because she was on colief, and I was supposed to boil the kettle, leave for 20-30 mins make the milk, then add the colief then leave for 30 mins, shaking occasionally, so an hour to make a feed, and when she was feeding 2 1/2 - 3 hourly i was making bottles constantly!

rachelle79
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:18 pm 
Post subject:
I boil the kettle, wait for 30 minutes for the water to cool slightly and then make up all six of my bottles for the day ahead. I have done this for both my girls and they have both been completely fine. It's important to leave the water to cool for a bit though because if It's too hot it can affect the milk powder. Not sure of how or why hut I read it somewhere x
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:41 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the replies ladies, much appreciated.

Cab I check one more thing, once the bottle has cooled, if needed can it be warmed up again or not?

Thanks x
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:08 pm 
Post subject:
i used to warm them up as sam was fussy and would only drink them warm, but only warm it once. i had a friend who would warm her sons bottle he would drink half, then an hour later she would warm it up again for the other half.

Greggy09
Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:51 pm 
Post subject:
I'm due to have my second any day now. I have a 2 1/2 yr old and started bottle feeding him after 4 weeks but I never was quite sure that I was making up his bottles correctly but he was fine. I intend to bottle feed baby no 2 so ought to find out the correct procedure. I used to boil the kettle and half fill them, then seal them and leave them to cool before putting in the fridge for up to 24hrs. When I needed one, I'd boil the kettle with new water, top the bottle up and then add the formula so it would end up the right temperature. Never had a problem but can anyone think of a reason this is totally wrong?
Aprilxxkayne
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:30 am 
Post subject:
I tend to make feed by boiling the kettle and pouring it into the bottle straight away and add the powder. I then leave it to cool on the side or if i need it sooner put it in cold water. For Kaynes night feed though i make it before i go to bed and he is sleeping through most nights now so generally has it between 6 and 8am so that feed is standing for around 7-9hours and its never done him any harm. He also has all his milk room temp and i make his bottle about an hour or 2 after he has finished one so its ready for when he wants it. xxx

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:37 pm 
Post subject:
I used to sterilise all my bottles and put freshly boiled water in and leave them to the side, when my lo wanted milk I just used to add the powder and he had it at room temperature. It was much easier that he it it cool for when I was out and about or during the night. The reason the guidelines say to boil the kettle and leave to cool them add the powder is because the powder is not sterile and the hot water kills any germs. It's never done mine any harm having it cold.
You may not be able to give it cold because breast milk is warm and that might be what your baby is used too.

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:01 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies, everyone seems to do something different which is reassuring. I'm managing to express just about enough breastmilk, although I give lo one bottle of formula a day so that she gets used to it.

I boil kettle, leave for 30mins, make up the bottle, cool in water then leave on side until lo wants it, but I make sure she has it within the two hours from when I made the bottle up.

Xx
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:53 pm 
Post subject:
It depends on the type of milk. I don't know about soya or medicated milk but all comfort milk should be made with BOILING water, this is advice from the manufacturers to ensure that (I think its the protein, but could be wrong its something in it) mixes correctly and doesn't react with colicky or constipated tummies, but normal milk doesn't need this.

I make a few bottles in advance and keep them in a special baby bottle/food thermos bag that keeps it at a steady temp. I have done this since he was about 9 weeks old with no issues. If its overly warm in the house I store them in the fridge and then take out roughly 10 mins before he'll need one to ensure it reaches room temp.

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:41 pm 
Post subject:
Trace, how long do you keep bottles for when prepared in advance, I've been following instructions making sure I use within two hours of making the bottle. (not ideal when trying to make a bottle in the night when have to wait 30 mins for water to cool)

Also may I ask what bottle warmer you use?!?

Thanks, jo
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular