Hospital bag checklist (Feel free to add to...)

gembabes
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:48 am 
Post subject:
HI LADIES PLEASE IF YOU ARE ON FACEBOOK JOIN MY GROUP BREASTFEEDING ADVICE/WEENING ADVICE FROM A MUM NOT A DOCTOR....

I STARTED IT YESTERDAY TO GIVE ADVICE, ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS AND GIVE SUPPORT!!

WE ALREADY HAVE 92 MEMBERS AND MY AIM IS TO MAKE BRITAIN BOOBIE FRIENDLY!!!!

EVEN IF YOU COULDNT BREAST FEED OR HAVE A RELATED STORY THAT COULD HELP US PLEASE PLEASE JOIN!!

BREAST IS BEST XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
EmVar
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:12 pm 
Post subject:
which one is it Gem? There are a few.

[/url]
thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:07 pm 
Post subject:
I'd put dressing gown in labour bag, I needed mine through labour, it was overnight and even if it's during the day you might be cold.
xx
EmVar
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:56 am 
Post subject:
Hiya,

Been for my ante-natal classes now and thought I'd put up the list they gave us - loads of things mentioned already but a couple of extra things so I've just added the whole list, along with their comments:

Labour Bag
- Baggy t-shirt / nightie (to wear in labour but can be thrown out later)
- Warm socks (some women suddenty feel chilly during strong labour)
- Sweater
- Hairbrush
- Hair bands (to keep long hair out of your face)
- Tooth brush and tooth paste
- Face cloth (this can be used to wash or as a cold compress)
- Lip Salve (lips may dry during labour)
- Unscented massage oil (for partner to do massage)
- High energy snacks (bananas, raisings, nuts for you and your partner)
- Fruit drinks
- Magazines / books (things may be a little slow)
- Camera with spare film and full battery)
- Music and player (with new batteries)
- Sweets (to help keep your mouth moist and help with energy)
- Glucose drinks
- Slippers (in case you want to have a walk)
- Dressing gown (in case you want to have a walk)
- Towels for mum
- Hat for baby (during skin to skin, best way of keeping body heat)
- Change for parking and phone

For the Ward
For You:
- Night shirts (something light as the wards may be warm)
- Knickers
- Bras (nursing bras if you have them)
- Light dressing gown (something light as the wards may be warm)
- Wash bag (shampoo, shower gel, deodorant)
- Make up (may make you feel better)
- Maternity pads
- Breast pads
- Clothes (some for the ward and some for going home)
- Magazines / books

For Baby
- Body suits (enough for your stay in hospital)
- Sleep suits (ditto)
- scratch mitts and booties (ditto)
- nappies (ditto)
- Cotton wool (for bathing baby and nappy changes)
- Clothes (for going home)
- shawl / blanket (for going home)
- nappy bags
- brush (for making sure your baby looks their best)

[/url]
TiNiStar
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:11 am 
Post subject:
wow.this is my first pregnancy and even though i was there when my newphew was born i didnt even think about all of this stuff!! and its good information too!! ((hubby swears im anal about these things, but better safe then sorry!))

thanks you guys for adding your comments and for putting these several iteams together in a list, i cant wait till i hit week 32 so i can start packing! ((though honestly, im probaby going to already have it done by then Razz ))

thank you!
.tini.

EmVar
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:11 pm 
Post subject:
Well my bag has been in the boot of the car "just in case" since xmas eve when we went over to manchester to see my dad.

Yesterday I was unloading groceries and left the boot lid open as obviously it takes more journeys these days what with not being abe to carry so much at once.

When I went back to the car some scumbag was poking about in the boot and was about to make off with my hospital bag! Well I was stunned to say the least; it took a moment to realise what was happening - yes it's my car, no it's not the neighbours spontaneously deciding to help out (as if!).

I knew I had absolutely no hope of giving chase - I stuggle to keep up with OH's walking speed these days. So I got as close as I could before yelling out a few choice words, which fortunately must have startled the scoundrel enough and rather than legging it with my bag he threw it to the side of the road saying "here have it, just have it, here...."

OH never even heard a thing going on, the dozy lump! He thinks I should have phoned the police but they were gone round the corner in a flash and it's not like I could even give a good description cos it was dark, let alone recognise them.

I was proper shaken up mind, but did have to giggle when I thought about the looks on their faces if they had taken it and got it home only to find a load of maternity pads, a nightie, a towel, breast pads and the oldest knickers in the world!!

[/url]
StaceyRD
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:33 pm 
Post subject:
Eek, how frightening, EmVar!
Nice to have a funny side to look back to, though. Not sure what he could've done with your knickers!!
Hope you aren't shaken up anymore. No idea what I'd have done in your situation. x
EmVar
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:05 pm 
Post subject:
I'm OK now but realised today my maternity notes are in there as well so I'd have been a bit lost without those!

[/url]
Clairekiss01
Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:37 am 
Post subject:
hiya all - very good tips thanks! was only in 1 night or my first but I ran out of baby grows and had to send my sister home to get me another set of PJ's!

For dressing gown, pack a really light one - you won't be needing the extra warmth! Also a blanket / shawl for baby on way home. I used this for me in the bed, i hate crisp hos sheets so i cuddled up to that Smile

Pack of tissues, or box. I was in floods for ages afterwards, again not liking the crisp hosp toilet roll!

Will be reading posts again in about 12 weeks when i start packing my bag! Primark cheap nickers here we come Smile
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:41 am 
Post subject:
I was thinking it might be a good idea to get some of those big sealable freezer bags or some zip wallets to separate stuff. Like knickers and pads in one, baby clothes in another etc etc and labelled as well. I'm guessing your OH might have to get the stuff out of the bag for you and knowing him he'd not only mess it up but also not know the difference between a pad and a nappy or my pants and what the baby wears Laughing Laughing
Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:25 am 
Post subject:
hi girls..
not sure if anyone has asked this but how many maternity sanitary towels would you recommend taking? its my first baby and don't know how much on average people bleed for and how much? x
EMM4SCARLETT
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:13 pm 
Post subject:
Cant beleive im having to pack Another hospital bag so soon , my bloody comments are still on here from the first bag i packed when preg with scarlett lol

The best thing i took with me the first time was flannels Sounds silly but the pain you get in Well with me i was in pain i get hot and worked up the flannels bein the only soothing thing for me constantly gettin other half to wet them and having them on my head

EMM4SCARLETT
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:13 pm 
Post subject:
nikk871 wrote:
hi girls..
not sure if anyone has asked this but how many maternity sanitary towels would you recommend taking? its my first baby and don't know how much on average people bleed for and how much? x

about 2-3 packs Very thick ones to , you soak the pads quickly with any slight movment eww

mummaof2
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 pm 
Post subject: pre prepared hospital bags...
If its your first pregnancy or you're a busy mum like me..... you could buy one thats already made. These are fab!! www.mumma-and-bubba-bags.co.uk
sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:35 am 
Post subject:
Take lots of nighties. We only stay in hospital here for 4 hours after delivery (if all went well). I had packed 3 (only cos couldn't decide which one would be most comfy) and went through all three of them during labour - 2 times vomit everywhere and then of course the blood etc... from delivery.... Smile xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to:  

Community

Popular