potty probs with child who is 5!!!

terri007
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:21 am 
Post subject: potty probs with child who is 5!!!
my daughter refuses to poo poo on potty. she is in daycare and cannot wear pull ups to school. she tends to hold it at school or either poop in her panties. on weekends, when asked if she has to poo poo, she says no but will poop in panties. she is taking medications to soften stool due to chronic constipation since an infant. i am sure her reluctance to go potty is related to pain related stools. however, i am going crazy due to her lack of even trying to poo poo in potty. we have tried rewards, punishment (taking toys away), etc, etc. any advice would be welcome as my daughter is very bright but just refuses to poop on potty.
dolphinannie
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:02 pm 
Post subject:
HI

Have you tried her on the toilet instead of the potty. It might make her feel a bit more grown up and she might be encouraged a bit more. Also try not to punish her, only praise her when she tries. At the moment, any sort of attention is good for her so she will just keep going the way she is.

Jut try putting her on the toilet at the same time every day to see if she will go. And keep all praise and encouragement consistant. Make a big deal out of her even trying. When she does mess, just explain that she's a big girl but do not scold. Hope this helps and she gets better real soon.

xxx
Marien
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:11 pm 
Post subject: Just a suggestion
HI! My sis-in-law had this prob with her girl too. She sat her on the loo with a book and it helped loads because it helped to make the experience more fun and the book relaxed her, then she was able to GO! Then she was praised loads when she went and now she reads regularly on the loo Laughing Just thought it may be worth a shot?! Good luck!
andrea28
Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:52 pm 
Post subject:
it looks like she is assiation poo with pain and most normal reaction is stop the pain... throw away that potty she is a big girl now and can use toilet. she wont be using potty at school. keep a record of what times she is messing her knickers and around 10min before take her to toilet with a book for big girls for her to read while trying. alway praise praise praise never pinishment.

hope u get it sorted, its normal to try to stop what hurts u. u would do the same. its pshyilogical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Nappies, Changing and Potty Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular