When should i see the midwife? Please advise

Shazi
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:43 pm 
Post subject: When should i see the midwife? Please advise
I am 11 weeks pregnant now. When i registered at my new GP they told me the midwife would see me in week 10. In week 9 i heard nothing so i enquired and was told by a covering midwife that i would be seen in week 12 not 10, and i should expect an appointment in the post soon. I recieved an appointment for my dating scan at the hospital in week 10 which is dated for week 12 of my pregnancy (next week), however i have just recieved a letter today from the midwife who has given me my first appointment for end of July which would mean i would then be 16weeks pregnant! This is my first pregnancy so i dont know if this is normal. Can anyone advise please. When should i see my midwife for the first time? I feel like iv been given no support/help from medical staff at the moment. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Confused
mumtobe
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:31 am 
Post subject: Seeing Midwife week 13
I have been booked in to see the midwife in week 13 - which my OH though was quite late but I chacked with the surgery and they said that's fine. I haven't had any other medical support so far but fingers crossed everything seems to be going well. I hope this helps.x
kirsty83
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:40 pm 
Post subject:
Very Happy hi i am 30 weeks pregnant at the moment and i feel i havent been given much support, believe it or not i still havent seen my midwife as she wasnt availble on my scan app at 16 weeks, all i have seen is my local doctor on my antinatal apps. x
sixclaws
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:36 pm 
Post subject:
hi, im 6 weeks pregnant and i thought that when i went to confirm it with my doctor he would do a urine test reather than take my word that my home test was correct. but all he did was poke my belly, take my blood pressure and told what to expec tand to wait for an appointment letter from my hospital. thats it nothing else. my mother got more care when she was pregnant with me than we seem to be getting.
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:05 am 
Post subject:
it really depends on your local NHS trust and the maternity services available I think. Look on it as a good sign - because you've had no problems so far, they aren't worried about you Very Happy

but yes, 16 weeks is pretty late to start midwife care, but it won't do you any harm. Have a read around the subject and prepare any questions to take with you, so you can make the most of the appointment.

I think (from reading all the posts above) that I've been lucky in Devon - my midwife care started at 8 weeks, and has been really good. Both sister's in law have said their's was nothing like that early though with any of their children - so probably your experience is far more normal!

Hope everything's good at the scan Very Happy
mcflurry
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:40 pm 
Post subject:
ahhh its so unorgonised im 29 weeks pregnant today Very Happy but ive not seen much of drs or midwifes in this time i seen my dr to inform them i new i was pregnant then i seen a midwife a few weeks after that and she done all the medical history and blood tests then i had a scan at 14 weeks then went to hospital for an antenatal appointment to get the results of my blood then i had a scan at 20 weeks then i booked 2 see my dr cause of tummy cramps ( and id been under stress and needed someone 2 spk 2 ) other than that ive not heard or seen a midwife they havent seem to get incontact with me or anything ive got to book an appointment with her as i feel i need to see her as im getting quite close to the end (only 11 wks left) and i jus dnt no if this is suposed 2 be correct or if i should be seeing alot more of her ?? any help ??
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:07 pm 
Post subject:
my midwife team gave me a schedule of appointments for the entire pregnancy right at the start - I'm now 34 weeks, and now seeing the midwife every 2 to 3 weeks (has been this way for the past 8 weeks really). This is because of the various test timings - you should be getting regular urine checks to test for protein, as well as occasional blood tests to check for iron levels and other stuff.

My advice would be to make an appointment and raise your concerns - and always before you leave the midwife, ask when your next appt should be and book before you leave - that way you always have one to look forward to.

If nothing else, it's just lovely to hear your baby's heartbeat and to have to opportunity to ask questions.

Hope that helps!

Anna
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:32 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, Ive just found out im pregnant by a home kit aswell. I went to see my doctor the next day but the receptionist just said come back at 8 weeks to see the Doctor and the midwife at 10 weeks. I said i thought i was about 5 weeks so she booked the apointments for December.

I wish you could see the doctor earlier though, i want some confirmation that im definatly pregnant and ok.

.... i am abit impatcient im afraid Smile
KayDee1979
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:34 pm 
Post subject: Not very helpful....
Hi there,

I have to agree with some of the girls here that the midwife care ain't that great......I know it's now "shared care" between the doctors and midwives but my doctor has been more helpful/knowledgable than my midwife who I have seen once since the start of my pregnancy!

I am now 29 weeks pregnant Very Happy and have an appointment with the midwife next week so it'll be interesting to see what she says/does when I attend that!

Hope everyone gets on okay!

Kay Dee

x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular