Irregular Cycles

whoopsie77
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:51 pm 
Post subject: Irregular Cycles
I wonder if someone can give me the benefit of their experience and possibly offer me some advice and reassurance.
I have been ttc for 7 months now after coming off the pill for the last 14 years. The trouble is, since then the length of my cycles has varied enormously! They have been 28 days, 26 days, 31 days, 27 days, 26 days, 31 days and 28 days. This means I'm finding it incredibly difficult to pinpoint when I might ovulate. I tried using ovulation strips last cycle, starting on day 9 right through to day 16, but no surges detected. I thought I felt some twinges around day 15. We bd every couple of days throughout my cycle and more often that than between days 12 and 15, but no joy yet.
I really thought we'd been lucky this month as AF was due on Monday and on Tues I just had some light spotting (?implantation bleeding, I hopefully thought) but today she's arrived with all guns blazing!
I'm starting to wonder whether I should go to the doc, but I'm sure there's nothing wrong with me. I'm only 31 but want to conceive so badly! Would really appreciate some advice from anyone who's had a similar experience.
Squibby06
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:59 pm 
Post subject: Hi
Hiya.I came off the pill in december and my periods cycles have been all over the place too.For the first 2 months,I was 6 days late and then the next was 3 days late,so I'm hoping they are settling down a bit now.

Bear in mind it can take up to a year for your periods to properly settle,especially as you were on the pill for so long.If you are still having irregular periods though,I would go to your doctor.Also,as your periods are so irregular,if you were to get pregnant,it would be hard for the doctor to work out when the baby would be due,this is why they say to wait until your periods/cycles have settled.

As for when you ovulate,I have been using a free calendar that I found on line but it may not work for you,with your cycles being so irregular.It may be worth investing in some ovulation tests.

Good luck and lots of baby dust for you ~*****~
MrsE27
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:51 pm 
Post subject:
Hellywelly! Wow, I am in a very, very similar situation to you. Everything you mentioned is happening to me!! I have been ttc for 4 mths but been of the pill for 7 mths after being on it for 10 years. My cycles have been 28, 24, 30, 25, 29, 26, so a little irregular too. This month 26 days would have been monday, and started spotting (brown discharge tmi! ), this hasn't happened before and I wondered if it was implantation bleeding but dont feel pregnant (not that I know what thats like!), did a pg test and it was BFN. Anyway 2 days later..today, still haven't come on properly so was a bit worried.

So, I decided to go to my doctor...but couldn't get an appointment until next week (as they are rubbish!) so went to my local family planning clinic who I have found very useful before. Spoke to a nurse who was very reassuring and seemed to think everything was fine. She said that as I was getting fairly regular periods and that everything is working as it should be. She said that they wouldn't test my hormones or anything until we have been ttc for a year. Although I did wonder whether you can just say you have been trying for a year???? She asked if I had had bleeding after sex or between periods as this can sometimes be a problem, but the brown disharge just before af is fine.

She did recommend trying not to stress about it and just relax!! I am now going to assume everything is fine and book a holiday!!! Cool

Hope this helps ka xxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular