HELP!!!!!!

rach4444
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:21 pm 
Post subject: HELP!!!!!!
Hi !!!!! Please help !!! My little girl is nearly 4 months now and is a law unto herself !!!! She was 5 wks prem and we nearly lost her. Consequently she has been spoiled rotten. She has been unsettled from day 1. Cries a lot and generally grizzly.She is on medicine for reflux (silent reflux - shes never sick ) and passes a lot of wind so I have recently changed milk to cow&gate comfort. Always looking for medical reasons but am facing facts that there is prob nothing wrong with her. Anyway ..here goes.....
She is happy for bout 10-30 mins following feed then cries unless jiggled/rocked. Will then grizzle til asleep (in my arms) then i have to swaddle her and attempt to put her in cot.constantly picking up and putting down in cot due to waking and crying. Very unsettled sleep. Waking-sleeping-waking-sleeping etc. OCCASIONALLY goes 7-8 hours in night but only half of that in basket. The rest on me !! On bad day wont sleep at all in cot. Isnt enough to just hold her - have to jiggle her-do squats etc !!! Get nothing done during the day and cant cope with this any more. I know this behaviour is my fault but I dont know how to change it. She just seems so grumpy all the time. Pls Pls help
honie
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:28 pm 
Post subject:
hi i had this same problem with my son he was 10 weeks pre so was spoilt rotten then had reflux cried all the time but im afraid to say that he just grew out of it there was nothing we could do
have u checked maybe his reflux med needs increased just a possibility my sons did cos after a feed he got really aggitated
take care let me know how u get on
ladydee
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:08 pm 
Post subject:
You may have to practice giving some tough love. You will have to put up with the crying for a while until she learns maybe. when you put her to bed make sure you have a routine in place like bath, a song, dimmed lights etc after feed. Stop doing what you used to do and she will eventually learn. As long as you know she is fed, warm/not too hot, clean etc you will have to leave her to cry it out sometimes until she stops. It's really hard but it eventually gets easier. Kids will keep pushing the border until you put a stop to it. It takes a lot of patience and you will have to put up with a lot of crying before it gets better. When she wakes is she hungry? if she is feed her and put her back to her bed. Try soothing music or white noise when she wakes to see if that comforts her but try as much as possible to leave her in her bed. Maybe if you swaddle her that may help her sleep as she may feel like she is still being held. It will take time for it to get better but you will have to be a bit rigid to being and then it will pay off in the end. Easier said than done but if you are at the end of your tether and have tried everything then you may be willing to put up with a bit of her crying just to get her to change. anyway I hope this can help.

I don't have this problem because I made sure that from day one my little one was not held when asleep and not rocked to sleep so he could sleep on his own. He is now 6 months but doesn't sleep through the night like so many others I've heard of but he knows that when he wakes for a feed he gets it and it's straight back to the cot. He wants to be held and rocked to sleep but I have cut that out and now he can go back to sleep himself. Now and again he wakes and after feeding wants to be held but I still just return him to his cot, sing a song and kiss him goodnight. I used to play white noise after puttinghim back to bed and that used to work when he was colicky but he is over that now so it is no longer as effective.
FD
Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:46 am 
Post subject:
Hi Rach,

Your little girl sounds just exactly the same as my little girl was and it was a nightmare so I know what you are going through.
Please dont think this is in anyway your fault, she may have colic or just requir lost of attention but you are not to blame.
It does get easier - although I know where you are and you are just wishing for an immediate cure!

My daughter only sever slept on my chest and I finally had had enough as I had a 2 year old son to try and deal with. I was recommended to try white noise by a friend and was a bit sceptical at first but it worked.
If you want to read more on white noise and how it worked for me then go to calmsleepingbaby.com and you can also read the other methods I found worked with by daughter.

I am sure you will find something to work - they key is to find a routine and stick to it. Write down what you try and the effects and then you can see what she does and doesn't like. I kept a journal of what I used an for how long etc and within a couple of weeks I had her sleeping no problems for her afternoon naps and then through the night.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

FD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular