refusing rest of bottle after burping

tylersdad
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:43 pm 
Post subject: refusing rest of bottle after burping
anyone find a solution to this??
I desperately need help, we've tried many changes, and none seem to be working.
Do infants outgrow this??
CarryW
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm 
Post subject: poor feeding
Had same problem with my baby, gradually started eating less and losing weight. At about 2 oz he would refuse as if teat was hurting his mouth. His skin also became patchy. Health visitor mention something called "hot teat" which makes baby fell as if the milk is burning the mouth, which is due to milk allergy, I spoke to doctor who wasn't sure about this and gave baby gavison. I wasn't happy about giving gavison to a baby (due to sodium) and didnt think he had the syptoms of acid reflux. On advice of my HV I changed to soya milk and demanded allergy tests from my gp. The first time he had the soya milk he drank 6oz without stopping which was brilliant because normal formula he refused at 2oz. Now feeding very well and seeing a dietician next week after tests showed cows milk allergy
michau
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:37 pm 
Post subject:
Rolling Eyes hi all,
we are all togheter in this situation.My daughter is 4 and halif months old and the same with her she doesn t like much the bottle.For those who said they can t understand why only at times of feed the baby cried and doubt that it could be colic ,yes it could be from the milk cause after some time the milk goes in the stomach and the digestion and breaking of milk starts in the stomach the pain starts there!My pediatrician changed me the milk and started giving her NAN sensitive which improved the situation immeiatly.Till now she doesn t like much to drink milk but at least those screams and battles to drink stopped.My daughter takes long time to drink too all i have to do is be patient.I also use the nuk nipples no 1 as they decrease the air entry in the bottle but the main success was that i gave her the sensitive formula milk, and please don t think that you are doing something wrong ,i am first time mum too and i am sure we love all our children too much and we are doing our best.It s just life the cruelty of life that such precious creatures has to start with so much pain.But what to do ?just love them and hug them and show them comfort.It s the heartache of a mother! Confused
LaurenJohnston
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:01 pm 
Post subject: Reflux and Enfamil AR Power
I may have an answer.....My baby Archie is now 12 weeks old. in the beginning i was breasfeeding and it was going perfectly for about 4 weeks then he started, crying whilst feeling, screaming pain, raised legs, coughing, vomiting after and heaving...i was at my wits end until i took him to my health visitor who said he had oephageal reflux, she prescribed me a special milk called ENFAMIL AR....the milk is a pre thicked milk. Peace has been restored i cant tell you how much it has helped. he is now sleeping through!
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:45 pm 
Post subject: Re: refusing rest of bottle after burping
i would not worry about a thing your baby will feed when hes hungry,my boy was like that at times and i stoped winding him in the middle of a bottle and he would take the whol bottle and i would wind him at the end,it worked for me ,but every baby is different.
CarmelR
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:07 pm 
Post subject:
Hi all. My baby has just turned 6 months. I had to go private to get my daughter diagnosed as having silent reflux as the doctor just put it down to post natal depression. I found that if I actively winded the baby she often would cry and refuse the rest of the feed. I think this was because tummy acid was rising up with the wind. I found the best thing to do was to just sit her upright on my knee until she brought the wind up herself. It seemed to reduce the reflux that came up with the wind. On some occassions I also found that I had to wait until she was dozing off before I could pop the bottle back in her mouth and finish the feed. I found baby gaviscon did nothing to help so I started using Aptimil easy digest which is a thickened feed with reduced lactose.
AlpineMummy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:11 pm 
Post subject: Refusing bottle
My 16 weeks old baby girl has been doing exactly the same over the last few weeks and subsequently her milk intake has decreased - this has meant she is not sleeping for as long etc etc. I found a couple of brilliant websites about Silent Reflux http://www.infantrefluxdisease.com & http://www.livingwithreflux.org and this is what she has been diagnosed with - now I look at all of the symptoms it seems to fit. Ideally I didn't want to give her an anti-acid medicine so instead I have been told by the doctor to go on to a thickened formula milk (thickened with maize starch) and also give her a thickening syrup 20 mins before her bottle. He also suggested that I start weening her. 4 months seemed very early to me and I was rather unprepared to start her on pureed veg/fruit but apparantly it should help her keep her food down better. Hopefully a fuller tummy will mean a longer sleep and no more uncomfortable periods for her too. We have also propped up her cot on blocks so she is laying in a better position for acid not too come up. We found that she loved sleeping in her car seat but never in the pram. Lying flat obviously was uncomfortable for her. She also frequently had hiccups and bad breath. My Doctor said that as long as the baby is a healthy weight (mine is 7kg at 16 weeks) then taking in less milk for a short period will do no harm and she should soon start taking on larger quantities again! Good luck to all!
CarmelR
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:18 pm 
Post subject:
I should add that my DD was diagnosed as having silent reflux at 9 weeks old. Be careful what advise you follow as every baby is different and you may try something and find it makes things worse. We were prescribed meds but gave up on them as babs vomited every time we tried to give her the antacid.

Early weaning can work with some babies but not all. Bear in mind that weaning early can result in allergies and this will make the reflux much worse. I held off weaning my DD until 24 weeks. Even then I gave tiny amounts and stuck to just baby rice (which she hated) and carrot puree (which she loved). However, I am finding that now she is 6 months and I am weaning her properly her reflux is much worse. With silent reflux the baby does not normally bring much feed up. Since properly weaning DD she has started vomiting a lot. My HV told me that it was because babs is trying to crawl. I pointed out that she has been trying to crawl since she was 4 months and it has only been since she turned 26 weeks and we have been weaning her properly that she is refluxing a lot of her feed. I also explained that the increase in the reflux seems to be caused by trapped wind that is not coming up as easy due to the solids. When it does come up it brings the feed with it.

Something else you could try when your baby is refusing feeds is to give small amounts, often for a day or two. I did this a few times with my DD and found that after a day or so she settled back to her normal feeding pattern. With reflux babies they can get sore throats etc. due to the acid reflux and the milk can help neutralise the acid. However, if they are in discomfort they may just take enought to take the edge off the hunger until the discomfort goes away.

I would also like to add that if your doctor or HV tells you there is nothing wrong with your baby as they are a good weight, point out to them that babies with silent reflux often gain large amounts of weight and feed very frequently as the milk neutralises the acid and makes it more comfortable for them. My DD was having up to 12 feeds per day before she was diagnosed and has been on the 92nd centil since she was 8 weeks old (despite being 7lb 6oz when born).
minimooxbec
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:47 am 
Post subject: hello im new looking for advice on weaning
hello im bec i have a 6 month old boy, hes my first i breast fed for the first 4 months and now hes on farleys follow on milk he doesnt really like the jar foods only desserts so i started blending my own he'll eat near enough everything .

i worry about salts in food im going back to work in june and my mother in law is going to be looking after him and thinks the old way is the best the other week she gave him a couple of spoons full of macaroni cheese which is high in salt ! which he reallt liked apparently !

do anyone know how much salt in take a baby is allowed cause im real worried about it ?? Razz
Zeph
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:45 pm 
Post subject: Just the same
My 4month old boy is doing just the same as others here have described. He's never been an easy feeder but at 2months was drinking 6-7ozs 6+ times in 24 hrs, much better than now. In the last month he has got progressively worse at feed times and often screams/writhes or arches his back after a few mouthfuls or an oz or so. It's now a struggle to get him to take 15 to 20ozs a day and very stressful for him and me. He's always been a windy baby and i've been using the mothercare anti-colic teats (with avent bottles) which he seemed to tolerate ok until recently. We've tried different formulas too (he's been exclusively formula fed since 3 months, before this i was EBFing at least one feed a day). The main formula he has been and is currently on is Cow and Gate Premium (he won't touch the comfort anymore - hates it with a passion!). My HV suspects he may have reflux and the doctor also said it's a possibility so for the last week i have been adding gaviscon infant to his feeds. I started off adding 2 doses (to 8ozs) but this made him really uncomfortable so i've reduced it to 1 dose in 6ozs of formula for 4 out of 6 feeds a day. He seems a little better - less screaming, but when he does get uncomfortable the variflow teat seems too much for him so today i've changed to dr browns bottle with a number 2 teat (i've tried the number 3 but he has quite a strong suck from being on the variflow teat that it's too much for him at the moment). So far so good, he drank all 6ozs this afternoon and much quicker than using the avent/variflow. He was a bit uncomfortable but seemed to be able to tolerate it and finish his milk more easily than before. So perhaps reflux and a tiring bottle/teat combination has been the problem. Here's hoping that we've got it cracked (but i'm not holding my breath!)

Additional info - if you are using the mothercare anti-colic teats (with a vent in the base of the teat), check that it functions properly. Some of the teats i have bought appear to have the slit either in the wrong place or not fully made. Also the slit can stick after washing/sterilising and so needs to be operated manually immediately before feeding. My son also seems to have teething discomfort so this may be an additional factor in his poor feeding.
alexsmom
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:43 pm 
Post subject: just the same
My 15wk old is just the same. He refused the breast from birth but at 3wks he had a go. I have always tried to use a bottle and a breast aproach. Whatever he will try really. Bottle or breast produces the same results now. He arches his back midway thru the feed, flings his arms out and screams and refuses to try any more feed. He has always been a very windy baby but burping him makes no diffs as he still refuses to drink more. He has been prescribed gaviscon but he consumed even less milk on that. I tried bigger teats with that as the stuff is thick.

I have tried baby massage but he doesn't like to lie on his back for very long. I tried infacol early on but it had no effect after awhile.Gripe water sends him to sleep and Dentinox made him throw up quite spectacularly.Colief did seem to help at first but after awhile he seemed to get even worse.

As well as trying the breast, I started him on farley's then after that tried C&G but its been rough going. I could sugest Aptimel easy digest as that seemed to help slightly. At the moment am trying sma soya and that produces less screaming and he seems to have less wind problems but he isn't taking much still. He was born at 4.2 kilo's (9&half pnd) and is now 6.0kg(think that 13half pnd). Doctors only now taking me seriously as he has crossed from 91st to 25th centile. Took him to hospital pediatrition and baby gurgled and charmed him.typical.no screamy baby. after much persuasion he prescribed Ranitidine. I tried it a few hours back but no real miracle yet as he screamed and refused milk still.

There aren't any sreams during the night but he hardly takes anything as he just falls asleep after he has had a quick snack. days seem much much worse.very strange! he wakes me up three times at night on av. i try feed him every two or three hours during day. he also has very infrequent bowel movements. Anyone else have this?

i'm sticking to the soya formula/ranitidine/nodairyformum cocktail at moment and hope this will finally do the trick. am tempted to try solids as i've tried just about everything else.my poor little guinea pig...hope you all have better results and hang in there.
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:54 pm 
Post subject:
If they refuse more food after they've been winded, does this not mean that they are just full up?? My little girl is breastfeeding and stops when (i assume) she's full, I never take her off the breast until she's stopped naturally. I then wind her, sometimes she has colic and screams and is sicky. Sometimes she does a few burps and is happy. I've never attempted to put her back on the breast after this? Am i doing it wrong??!
alexsmom
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:33 pm 
Post subject:
Hi PetraLou,

my boy is defiitely in pain when he comes off the breast or refuses to go back to the bottle. You can try offering your baby some more if you are worried yours isn't getting enough but it sounds like you are ding fine.

I know mine is stilll hungry as he turns his head towards the bottle or breast and is very frustrated, will try a few sips and arc his back and scream again..

If your girl is being weighed and puts on weight in line with the graph the hv maps out, she is fine and you are doing a great job.
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:02 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Alexsmom, thanks for reply. I was starting to worry. She was weighed at 7 weeks, and I was told she was spot on (11lb 2) and was born 8lb. I'll take her to be weighed on monday and just check she is ok.

Its so confusing sometimes, cos my daughter turns her head to the side for more food when she has wind, and its only when she's burped that she stops doing it. The midwife says this is normal, and i used to carry on feeding her, which resulted in even more wind, and usually projectile vomiting!!

Hope your little one is ok x
Zeph
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:53 pm 
Post subject:
Tom's much better now than he was - he's taking between 25 and 30 ozs in 24hrs! I'm still using the Dr Brown's bottles which he has adapted to well. He's also getting 1 dose of infant gaviscon in each 6oz feed. It took a couple of weeks for him to improve after he started on the gaviscon (i also put his cotbed on blocks at one end and think this has helped too). He still has offdays but generally he feeds much better (still struggles and pushes the bottle out often, especially when he needs a burp or break - but no screaming/arching etc). His episodes of hiccups are also much less. I think perhaps it took a while for the soreness to heal after he started on gaviscon. I'm keeping an excel spreadsheet of his feeds now too (geeky i know! but useful). It makes it much easier to see what he's eating as he still feeds at various times and has varying amounts. I can see the improvement in his feeds on the graph and it helps me not worry/be more relaxed about his feeds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

Community

Popular