refusing rest of bottle after burping

linda16
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:28 pm 
Post subject:
Oh My God!!!!

I thought this was only my baby. He 9 weeks old never really taken much milk about 5oz max but recently only taking 2oz per feed, he thrashes around like in pain and just will not take any more. I have tried different formulas, teats, bottles. At first doctor said just colic but it is only at feed times, then they said silent reflux so he has gaviscon and a thickener to hold in tummy, i dont think really helping and i am in tears most days because he wont eat, despite this he is growing and putting on weight? strange? They say he will get better but my first son who is now 5 refused milk from 5 months and i dont want this to happen again.- help!!!
Rodders
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:44 am 
Post subject:
Hi there - this is my 1st post and I must say it's a great wee site.

This post especially has helped as my baby girl (now almsot 6 weeks old) started to get difficult to feed after burping once she was regularly eating 100ml per feed and it was really stressing me out.

We feed her Aptimil 1 and changed to Dr Brown's bottles with a No 2 teat at the weekend and she is back to feeding properly again - 100-150 Ml per feed every 3 hrs, 5 or 6 times a day. Broke the 700Ml in a day barrier yesterday Very Happy

Anyway - I wanted to share something I discovered in my search to work out what was wrong. It relates to teat flow listed and actual teat flow. It's a bit long but please stick with me.

We were using Advent bottles and anti-colic teats. From advice on this site I decided to go to the No2 teats which initially seemed to help. Then she started having the same problem again. I was convinced it was a problem with the teats so I took all the No1 and No2 teats we had and done a flow test by simply seeing how easy it was to suck air through them. The results were very surprising.

I had 8 No1 and 8 No2 teats. 4 of the No2 teats had a worse flow than 3 of the No1 teats. 1 of the No1 and No2 teats were extremely difficult to get any air through at all and 1 of the No2 teats was like an open tap - air flew through it.

Basically the actual flow through the teats was extremely inconsistent and I was very surprised - and disappointed. Awful quality control for something that parents assume is a carefully produced product.

I tested this by simply sucking air through the teats and using my judgement. However there is another way to test that is very visual and less prone to human error. Simply take a teat and sit it upright on a surface it can easily produce an air-tight connection with (your kitchen worktop, a plate etc...). Press the teat all the way down and simply let it go. The time it takes to pop back up again indicates the teat flow. Do it with 2 simultaneously to compare 1 teat against another.

Obviously teats rated the same should come up at the same time, or at least very close to one another and a No2 should always rise quicker than a No1.

As I said I got Dr Brown bottles and I tested all the No1 and 2 Dr Brown teats I got. All of them were exactly the same as the other similarly rated ones and all the 2's had better flow that the 1's - just as it should be.

The quality of workmanship on the Dr Brown's teats just seems considerably better than the Advent ones. Don't assume a quick or slow feed is just because of your baby. They could be on the end of a frustratingly slow or uncomfortably fast teat that you think is a controlled flow speed of your choice.

I also don't think the Anti colic system on the Advent teats works properly as I could clearly see air coming into the bottle through the teat tip when I fed her sometimes instead of the side vents - probably due to poor teat quality again. The consistent flow of the Dr Brown's teats in conjuntion with the better venting system has definetely helped considerably.

Hope this helps and doesn't just confuse you further Shocked
cmiller
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:35 pm 
Post subject: Try Changing Bottles. It worked for me
Hi All,
My Baby girl is now 6 weeks and I have been having problems feeding and winding her. Se has been taking the feed then getting trapped air and I have been spending hours winding her with the help of Infacol etc, she wouldnt settle and would be crying alot. Went to see my health visitor who turned out to be different this week. Wow is all I can say. She suggested Dr Browns bottles which I had never heard of and after the first bottle this morning all i can say is they are genious. 2 burps and she is fast asleep and hasnt brought her knees up and hasnt got a blue mouth. Settld striaght away. To any new mum buy these bottles and dont waste your money on Avent and Tommee Tippie I have spent 80 on these and they are rubbish. The Dr Browns are 5.50 a bottle and worth every penny.....

Good Luck
ShazDar
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:11 pm 
Post subject: same prob
hi am so glad i found this website my baby has started to do the same thing he is 2months old n started refusing drinking after half his feed when he turned 8 week hoping it is a faze he will grow out of he has always been a lazy feeder falling asleep during feeds then getting agitated because he is still hungry (did the same when i was breastfeeding resulting in me feeding every 15 to 30 mins!) he got better with bottle feeding but seems to have gone back to old ways i have found if i soothe him n let him fall asleep then give him his bottle he starts drinking again hopefully this will help u guys too x
Joy21
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:42 pm 
Post subject:
I think I have the answer. My DD does the same thing with breast and bottle. I give her a back massage after she burbs and slowly bring her back to the breast or bottle. It works most of the time!
Bobski1980
Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:56 am 
Post subject:
Hi girlies

I think this post is 5 years old? Although an interesting one as my boy was the same, I think sometimes they have just had enough milk x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

Community

Popular