breastfeeding

fallleaf
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:23 pm 
Post subject: breastfeeding
Hi Reader;

I'm pregnant with my first child and considering breastfeeding but I heard some talk that if a mother breatfeeds a baby she's more likly won't get pregnant as long as she's breastfeeding, is that true?
I'm 35 and going to give birth within 2 months and would like to have more babies before it's too late.
What do you think?
Thanx for reading.
mumof3boys
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:59 pm 
Post subject: Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding does serve to be a contraceptive of sorts, though doctors would recommend that any Mum wishing to protect herself from another pregnancy should take the mini pill or use condoms etc.

I am unsure as to why you would consider not breastfeeding because of this though as surely you wouldn't want to get pregnant again too quickly. My suggestion would be to breastfeed until it feels right for you to stop.

I have an eighteen month gap between each of my three boys and I would say that was too little a gap. I chose this and they are very close to each other now (aged 8, 6 and 5) making lots of noise and chasing each other etc, yet I appreciate now that I did not have the time I should have done to spend with each one and a slightly larger gap may have benefited them.

That said, now I am pregnant with my fourth which was a complete surprise and I now worry that the age gap will be too big!!!!!
joshlibmum
Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:11 pm 
Post subject: breastfeeding
I understand your rush because Im also 35 but just had my second child and dont personally want anymore. But your more fertile after just having a baby than any other time yes breastfeeding dose reduce that but only slithly you can still get pregnant

I wholely recommend breastfeeding its better for you and you baby easier cheeper better for your body, I could go one but Im sure you know the positives with it

aleast wait till after the birth of your first child to think about your next you might not want another baby straight away your body needs time to recover whether its a hard or easy labour its still tiring as is having a new baby enjoy them first youll never get that one on one time again when you have your second

plus 35 is not old for having children in 2008
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:29 am 
Post subject:
falleaf, you wont want to get pregnant straight away, so even if you breastfed for a month, its sooo beneficial for your little one! They say one day of breastfeeding is better than nothing, as the baby will gain immunities. Also, as the others say, its free and so conveinent, especially in the middle of the night. I just take my little girl out of her basket and sit up in bed, and she's fed!! The only thing is, You cant tell how much they've had, so often Kaitlin will want to be fed more often than 3 hours, but hey, its doing her the world of good so i can hardly complain! Good luckxx
honie
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:36 am 
Post subject:
hi mumof3boys
i have 3 boys they r 7 5 2 and i would change the age even if i could i think its better for them to grow up with a close age they will be really close when they r older can do things together its lovely seeing them talkin about school and its just great the 2 year old try,s to be like the older ones
Jewbell1
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:01 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

Breast feeding can prevent you from getting pregnant, but Midwives & Health Visitors etc do advise you to use contraction if you do not want to get caught again.

My daughter is now 6months old and I am still breastfeeding. My periods started last month. If you do breast feed your periods should come back at about 6months, I presume this is because the baby is not feeding as much due to solids. I think you should breast feed if you feel you want to.

Spend quality time with your first before trying for another baby so soon. My brother has 3 children, the third child is only 2years yonger than the second and they are a handful when they are together.

My sister has a 16month old and is now due in May, this was a planned pregnancy, but she is wishing she had waited until her little boy was about 2-3, as she feels she has missed out with being involved with him due to tiredness & sickness through this pregnancy.

I understand that you feel your time is running out, I am in my thirties and would definately like another child. However, I want to spend quality time with my daughter before having another child too soon. Also she has only recently started sleeping through the night!!

I think positively as to how lucky I am to be blessed to have ONE wonderful daughter whatever my fertility future holds.

Goodluck & enjoy this wonderful experience with your first child
Marien
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:07 pm 
Post subject: Breastfeeding as contraception
Hi, I wouldn't rely on breastfeeding as contraception! EVERYBODY I know who thought they were safe got pregnant Laughing It really is best to use extra contraception if you really don't want to get pregnant so soon after giving birth - FYI my midwife, doc and friend who is a nurse all say to use contraception as even if you are breastfeeding you are more fertile just after having a baby. Good luck whatever you decide. XXXX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular