Tongue tied

Emma89
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:07 am 
Post subject: Tongue tied
Hi all,
My 8 week old son is what they call 'tongue tied'. I was just wondering if anyone else has babies with this. Or toddlers, and do you know whether it affects their speech or not?
Thanks
kellyinlondon
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:57 pm 
Post subject:
My friends baby has it. He is now 16 months old and saying a few words, it hasn't seemed to have affected his speech but i suppose each case may vary. They are currently assessing him to see if they will operate or not but the plastic surgeon would not see him until he was 1 so i guess it will be the same for your baby. They will monitor your babies weight though as it is sometimes difficult for babies with tounge tie to feed properly.
Emma89
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:08 pm 
Post subject:
Thankyou very much for that. It's give me a better insight into what they will do because i didn't have a clue. Although he seems to feed ok and is putting on weight nicely so ill just see what happens.
Emma
xxx
Marmalade
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:00 pm 
Post subject:
My friends daughter is tongue tied. She's now 8 and it doesn't affect her at all. Shes far better spoken than me! lol
Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:05 pm 
Post subject:
hi

i was tongue tied as a child I had a small op when i was about 9/10 yrs ish it didn't effect my speech just couldn't poke my tongue out as far as other kids or roll my tongue.

my brother was also tongue tied and someone said something to hi at school and he was upset so my mum took us to docs who said if we wanted then "sorted" it was a minor op, they cut a little triangle of skin from under the tongue and put in dissolveable stiches.

I have been wondering if my child has this as i did, do you mind me asking how you found out he had this, was it effecting the way he was latching on if you BF??
Emma89
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:42 am 
Post subject:
Hi,
It was my midwife doing her home visits who first noticed it but now that he's much more aware and smiling all the time you can tell. Although, people don't notice until you tell them and when they do they think it's cute (which it is) so i don't think it's a major problem.
Emma
xxx
kellyinlondon
Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:17 pm 
Post subject:
Since my last reply my friends baby has had his operation. It was under general anasthetic and he was fine. In reply to the person who asked how you know if a baby has tounge tie, the midwife noticed it after my friends baby lost weight. He couldn't latch on properly and subsequently lost weight.
lucyloving
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:57 am 
Post subject:
Have you heard of singleparentloving.com ? That's is a fantastic dating site for single parent. Only several minutes to create a full lifetime personal chemic ads... start your search, have fun with these interesting singles/non-singles from all over the world.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular