Palpitations after pregnancy

Sakura
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:58 pm 
Post subject: Palpitations after pregnancy
hi ladies, i posted something about this problem iv been having a while ago but things are getting worse. basically, since my youngest son was born in April 08 i have had strong, numerous palpitations, chest pain, tingling, breathlessness etc a number of times throughout the day, EVERYDAY since he was born. so i have been having these for nearly 9 months now. i have had all the usual array of blood tests for anaemia, hypothydroidism, trace elements, you name it iv had it and they are all normal. iv also had an ECG that was ok and recently an echocardiogram (an ultrasound of the heart) that looked fine. iv had a heart monitor that showed these palpitations but all i got from the consultant was "lets see what happens and see u in 6 months". iv been carted off to hospital a couple of times because they got so bad and felt like i was havin a heart attack or something. im not stressed or anything but since this has been going on for so long i have started to become anxious and iv had a few episodes of what i can only describe as being a panic attack maybe? im not sure, its like i get this overwhelming warm feeling that builds up in my chest and i feel like im gonna start hyperventilating if i let it carry on and if that happens i try and occupy myself and it seems to go away. its just ruining my life because i cant do anything without this continually happening. it controls everything i do. i can be watching TV, doing housework, lying down it happens when i do anything and particularly if i pick up my boys, carry something heavy etc. whats even more worrying is that it has now started happening really badly when i exercise, even the lightest, easiest form. its destroying everything and the GP cant give me an answer and neither can the hospital. i dont drink, smoke, take drugs or have any caffeine or too much sugar. iv always exercised before ( i used to be a personal trainer) and have never had this problem before, only since having my 2nd son. has any1 else had this? does any1 have any suggestions on what i can do or what it may be? or does it sound like anxiety more than an actual heart prob? im worried that maybe theyve missed something as on every test iv had, i havent had an episode so unless i get one while im having a test, how can they tell whats happening? please help, im desperate, iv had enough of this now.
Kristyricki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:06 pm 
Post subject: Heart pulpertations
Hi Sakura , im sorry i dont have any advise for you, but i just thought i would share my experience with you as it sounds very similar to yours. i was googling heart pulpertations when i cam accross your post. I gave birth to my first child in april 08 also , i had high blood pressure during my pregnancy but otherwiseeverything was normal. Since then i started going to the gym and experienced heart pulpertations , up to 45 a day i saw a doc about this he said avoid the gym and see how it goes. So i did. They eventually went away after 3 or more weeks so i thought i might try to get back into the excersise again. As soon as i did i have had these pulpertations again and this time havent gone away. i see no rythem to these pulpertations they are just random all thoughout the day , although they seem to be getting more and more frequent. I am due to get a ECG and ultrasound tomorrow. I shall keep ypu posted on what my Cardiologist says, tough i feel i will get the same answer as you have been given. will let you know.
Sakura
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:51 pm 
Post subject:
hey thanks so much for your reply. im really sorry that youre experiencing this too as its been quite frightening and frustrating that no one seems to be able to give me any answers and im sure youre feeling the same. the only thing i can say is to keep pushing for all the tests. and dont let them tell you youre neurotic, which seems to be the favourite in my case.

im completely at a loss with what to do now because these palpitations are getting worse - not in their strength as such but the slightest thing i do sets them off, even dusting the furniture or carrying my boys. i went to a wedding reception the other day and couldnt even dance because that sets it off too. im talking ANYTHING. as i said in my earlier post i was perfectly fine before the birth of my second son and since then my heart has been mucking around so much. have you had any other symptoms? iv had chest pain, breathlessness, dizziness and panic attacks. there are other symptoms too but they all indicate a mitral valve prolapse, which my mum has and it took them years to diagnose that and im worried that they have missed something and they dont seem bothered because im only 24. yet, the echo scan i had apparantly was fine. but unless you have an attack of these palps on / during a test, how will they see?!?!?! im getting so fed up with this as it affects everything i do everyday. it has to be something related to our births but what? maybe hormonal? i dunno - i would just like a doctor to say exactly whats wrong so i know and can get on with it.

please let me know how you get on, im actually having another heart monitor to wear on the 13th feb and im wearing it for 10 days so hopefully it will give them a better picture of whats going on as last time i only had a monitor for 24 hours and as luck would have it, i only had a couple of palps that day! so i will let you know how that goes. id like to know what your doctors say too as mine havent offered any explanation, all i get is "see how you go and review the situation in 6 months"

hope youre ok and looking forward to hearing from you soon xxx
Kristyricki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:11 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for your quick reply .

I do get other symptoms although i dont know if they are related. I get a tight chest feeling but i think this may have something to do with anxiety ,as you know when you have these palpertations they are quite stressfull, the thought of not knowing is the scary part. I get a little dizzyness when i stand from laying down or exercise .Infact the other day i actually blacked out in the shower , lucky my husband was close by and apparently caught me after i said i though i was going to pass out. When i gained my conscience, my hearing was muffled, it eventually came back to good after 3-4 minutes but this was vey scary at the time. Have you had any blackouts ? I told my doctor this and he just said it must be unrelated , but i have never blackedout in my life before this.

Unlike you though, i get these palpertations even when im sitting still or trying to sleep at night , i get terrible nights sleep and Iam always lathargic (please excuse my spelling) and tired. i dont know if this is contributing to the problem or not. My doctor said to me have more caffeine to perk me up and then the cardiologist told me to avoid such drinks!. i cant win!.

Did you tell the docs about the your mum, and is this something you have been tested for?( mitral valve prolaps) if so how is this tested? I feel sorry for your mum having to put up with this for so long.

Well I'm off for my appointment now I'am only having a 24hr ECG so i hope they pick up something in that time. We shall see when i get results in a week how things went.
I shall keep you updated .
I hope you get a few more answers with your 10 day ECG, please let me know how you go.
Thanks again for your reply x
Sakura
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:32 am 
Post subject:
good luck with your appointment today, hopefully you will get some answers! im appalled that the doctor told you to drink more caffeine! thats well known to increase the chance of heart palpitations! i do wonder where some of these "proffessionals" get their qualifications from! i don't drink any caffeine whatsoever but that hasnt helped my palpitations yet Sad

i too have had these chest pains, sometimes they are tight, other times more like a dull ache and iv had aching and tingling down my left arm and numb fingers but this didnt seem to bother any of the doctors. but i do get palpitations too even when im relaxing watching the telly and i do get them when laying down in bed. as i said before i can be doing anything and it just comes on. i have always had low blood pressure but since this heart stuff has been happening the symptoms of that have been worse. you know when you stand up from sitting / lying down and you get that dizzy/faint feeling with the head rush, well i get that all the time at the moment particularly if im bending up and down doing housework or playing with the boys or something and iv noticed that i get a lot of palpitations if i have been bending up and down a lot and my breathing seems to go out of rhythm, i hate it. i havent actually blacked out yet but as i say im always getting these dizzy head rushes.

i have found that i have been extremely lethargic too. i do have fibromyalgia and lethargy is a symptom of that but its been noticeably more since these palpitations so i do think it is related. i did tell the docs about my mum and they did check the valves but didnt say anything so i can only assume it was ok. but then they told my mum for years she was imagining it etc etc and iv had all the scans she has had and it was only while she was having a scan for something else that they accidentally picked it up after 15 years. in fact one doctor said to her "oh i think i can hear a murmur....oh hang on, Mrs N?? oh yeah i heard youre neurotic...yeah youre fine" and just brushed her off.

i thought id give you a list of the symptoms iv had and funnily enough it all points towards a leaking valve but just wondering if you have the same. here goes:

pounding fast heartbeat
palpitations - no particular rhythm, come in groups or singularly, some strong some weak
fatigue and weakness
low tolerance for exercise
chest pain and panic attacks
headaches and sleeplessness
dizziness and shortness of breath
problems with memory
cold hands and feet and hot flushes in my face
hot, dry environment sets of palpitations and sometimes after eating food as well.
both arms in the air sets off palpitations as does any exercise or housework
carrying bags, my boys or anything relatively weighty sets them off
stressful situations cause palpitations

hope all goes well today, best of luck xxx
rosie36
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:27 pm 
Post subject:
hi sakura, was just reading your post and you sounded so much like i felt when i had my daughter!!! i literally thought quite a few times i was going to die!! this went on for well over a year with numerous trips to the doctors!! i was usually complaining about really bad headaches too!! so bad i thought i had a brain tumour or something really serious! i felt i could pass out at any moment too etc. i was sent for verious tests and nothing came back as a problem. then my dad died when my daughter just turned 1 (in fact on my sons 3rd birthday) and all came to a head, believe it or not it was all down to post natal depression!! Shocked i never felt actually depressed and because of this is was easy enough for a doctor to miss. anyway, cut a long story short i went to see a councillor every 2 weeks, needless to say in a few months and without medication i recovered......and my aches and pains all disappeared!!! Very Happy im not saying this is what you have hun but if the doctors cant find another problem it maybe worth a mention to him/her?? good luck hun xxx
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:46 pm 
Post subject:
hi rosie36, thankyou for your reply. its funny you should mention what had happened to you because i felt like maybe i did have post natal depression and i have found that since my youngest was born my temper was very short and the slightest thing would send me into a rage and id be really scared when my OH went to work etc and crying for no reason, anxiety...all sorts of things...but because i didnt have any feelings of resentment towards my baby or lack of interest in them (which i have heard is a classic sign of PND) i never told anyone how i was feeling. and i know what you mean when you say youre worried about dying, i feel like a lemon saying it Embarassed but with my heart mucking around, i hate being on my own incase i keel over, and i must admit, the palpitations are usually not too bad when my OH is home. and i feel quite panicky for example, if he goes to bed before me and im up by myself and when i eventually go to bed, my heart is pounding. its so stupid because theres no reason for it, i feel really silly! and for a while back in october my heart seemed to settle for a number of days and then started again when my gran died suddenly. but our situations do sound similar and i will definitely mention it to my GP. how did you go about getting counselling? did you go through your GP? thanks again for your reply it has really eased my mind, i will definitely go down this route if the other tests come back ok! x
SteviC
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 pm 
Post subject:
Hi everyone, I am new to this but found your posts while searching for answers! I am relieved that other mums are suffering as i am. my daughter was born at the end of october and for 6 weeks i felt fine (exhausted but normal!) and then my palpitations started. I mentioned them at my postnatal check and was told nothing basically. I then tried to live with them for a while before going to see my doctor who told me i could have PND. i dont feel sad or depressed but he explained that i might not actually feel sad. so i let it until monday when i went to see another doc as on sunday night i woke in a panic as i felt like my heart had completely skipped a beat. he listened to me and is running some tests which i will get on friday, he says it is almost definetly not my heart as this would have shown up before. However last night i was drifting to sleep when i woke with a strnage sensation all over my body and an immense feeling i was going to die. this passed after a minute or two (seemed longer at the time) and i was left with a racing heart beat which eventually subsuded with some deep breathing. I am glad i found your posts as i was beginning to think i was going mad as everyone kept saying it was just the trauma of birth and my fathers illness so close to birth but I feel like I am not enjoying myself. I live from day to day afraid to be alone with her in case i die and afraid to shut my eyes at night in case i dont open them. I will let you know if my doc finds something that may help you also.

be well....
Sakura
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:02 pm 
Post subject:
hi SteviC, thanks for your post. i understand how you feel. i really feel sorry for you that you have been having this too. iv been scared witless by all this and im sure you have as well. i have had a couple of episodes similar to yours and dont like being on my own in case something terrible happens. iv been having this problem for almost 10 months now and mine started 2 weeks after my youngest was born and all this time i have been searching for an answer and then in the last 2 days iv had you reply along with Kristyricki and Rosie36 all having the same, so although i hate that you guys have it too im relieved in a way as well knowing that im not the only one. all i can think of is that it has to be something related to our births but so far none of the doctors or cardiologists seem to know Sad but at least we have found each other and can all support one other. one doc tried to palm it off as having a traumatic birth but to be honest other than being bloody painful, my birth went very smoothly and was so much better than my first birth, which was traumatic! i have never had this before, during pregnancy or after with my 1st son nor during this pregnancy. it only started 2 weeks after. lets try and keep our chins up xxx
Squibby06
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:02 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ladies,I hope you don't mind me joining in,as I've also been suffering from something similar.

Mine started before I was even pregnant though and at first it was just that I'd get really out of breath and my heart would beat really fast just walking up the stairs but then if I tried to lie down,I'd get pains in my chest and it really scared me.

it seemed to go away for a while but when I was 36 weeks pregnant with my son,I was going up the stairs(infact only made it to the 2nd step) and my heart started racing really fast all of a sudden,so much so that I couldn't breathe and had to go to the local minor injuries unit (not a&e,just for minor things and at a small hospital near me,not the main one,where I was put on an ecg and it showed my heartbeat was 217 bpm!(the normal amount for just resting is between 70-100 at this point I was on oxygen and gasping for air.I ended up being taken by ambulance to the hospital and they thought it might have been a blood clot,so I had a chest x-ray but that was clear.

I had to stay in overnight and was on oxygen for the whole time,everytime I tried to take it off,I couldn't breathe but they could find no cause for it and just said that sometimes girls my age can have this happen but they sent me for an echocardiogram to make sure and that came back normal,but like you have all said,my heart wasnt doing it at the time of the scan,so how would they be able to tell.it may have looked fine but that's because it was at the time.

so now I'm a little bit unsure of where to go next,i mean they've said it's all fine but I still don't feel fine,it still happens now.

SteviC
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hi everyone, i have had my tests results back and everything was normal (heamatology, biochemistry etc) but my thyroid tests were not. My T4 was normal but my TSH was low which points towards an over active thyroid. My doctor said he wants to wait a month and repeat the tests again just to be sure as i will need to stop breast feeding t get treatment. He said at the moment he could prescribe beta blockers or diazapan but i would also nee to stop feeding and he doesnt like prescribing pills when they are not greatly needed.

I have beenon the internet (i really shouldnt though!) and have found that postpartum thyroiditis is common in women in the 12 months following child birth and most of my symptoms fit, often misdiagnosed because symptoms are out down to new mother syndrome! so i will wait a month and see what happens, at that point my daughter will be 20 weeks so if i have to stop feeding her for the sake of my health then i'll just have to stop. I kinda feel now that if stopping BF will mean i can feel normal then this will be good for both of us.

I'll keep you posted on wht happens at next tests but i hope this might help somewhat or at least get your doc to check all thyroid levels (there are quite a few i believe)

will keep you all posted, be well......
Kristyricki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:57 am 
Post subject:
hi guys, i got my results back. I had the 24hr ECG done and i had heaps of palpertations. The Doc said they DID pick them up on the ECG but because my hart scan came back normal (I had no palps in the scan) they are not a thret to my heart. He said he can put me on some pills to stop the palpertations , iam still undecided wether or not i will take these yet. I asked him if i could go back to the gym ect . he said "yes but it may trigger more palpertations". I said "well is that the worst that can happen?" he said "yes" and that the palpertations did not mean i would have any future heart problems. He also said they are an extra beat in my heart coming in earlie. I asked him why they have all of a sudden started now in my life? he said that know one knows?? (GEE THATS GREAT!!!) So like most of you i have now come to a brick wall. Not sure what to do from hear.

Last night i had a wine with hubby and when i went to bed i felt like i was going to die , i had a palpertation every few heart beats. I just cannot understand how these can put no stress on my heart and be no problem???.

So i guess thats it , its just something I/we have to live with? I also have cronic headachs but i have had them all my life , even as a child. No answers there either! So now iam $500 bux out of pocket with the result of ... just live with it.

However I have been reading alot about meditation latley and it has been helping me slow my heart rate down and to fall to sleep at night. Its feels so good to get some good sleep!
If any of you are interested a good book is called THE HUMAN MIRACLE by Loriene Chase and Clifton King. Before i read this i would lay awake at night for hours and hours now i can fall asleep within minuites and even wile i have palpertations.

Well guys hope someone finds some answers , I may even go get a second oppinion.

x Kristy x
Sakura
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:53 am 
Post subject:
hey everyone!

my hosptial mixed up my appointments and i was meant to be having a 10 day heart monitor a couple of weeks ago so its now been moved to tomorrow morning. im really hoping it picks something up that can give them some answers but as luck would have it, the last few days ive hardly had any (it does this occassionally and then they come back with a vengence) so its probably the only time i will be wishing that they do happen. ive then got an appointment to see the cardiologist at the end of march.

Does anyone know if palpitations are linked to post natal depression at all? just that iv had PND since my youngest was born and was wondering if that might have something to do with it???
SteviC
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 am 
Post subject:
Hi there, first time i went to see my doctor he suggested i had PND. palpitations, anxiety and panic attacks are all symptoms of depression and so this is the first thing suggested by medical professionals I have found! it was suggested I had PND and like you kept trying to convinve them I didnt. I love my baby and enjoy spending time with her so i was getting quite angry that they werent looking for another cause other than PND. its seems to me PND is an easy diagnosis for all issues after child birth and we should really press to get tests, etc done so we dont have to suffer anymore! I have to go back next week to check on my thyroid levels but i am feeling way better than i have been although i still get palpitations and that dying feeling, i am no longer so ruled by it.

hopefully you will get some answers and can let us know how you go.....x
luclew123
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:24 am 
Post subject:
hi i had my little girl in march 10th i was great for rhe first 6 weeks but then i started having problems really heavy periods feeling really weak then i hadinner ear infection tec.. i had a really bad birth i had a really big blood loss which was scary, i came out of hospital really scared thinking that something bad was going to happen to me, i have been rushed in to hospital with alot of panic attacks chest pain breathlessness and feeling really weak and scared something bad was going to happening, then a couple of weeks ago i started getting these palpertaions and it catches my breath when it happans its really scary i am also really breathless, i am have problems with my balance at the min and waiting for a appointment with a ent doctor, i have had loads of blood test done and had three ecgs.... i have been told its my own head that is making me feel like this ad that its panic and anixty attacks.. i have also been told i have post natel depressing, doc whats to try me on beta blockers first to see if i calm down and counciling if not then anti depressing its awful thing because i have seen aload of doctors and been told the same stuff but my mind wont let me beleive them i am only 23 and hate being like this....i ahve been panicing about every thing thinking i have cervical cancer, brain tumer, heart problems.. i keep thinking some thing bad is going to happen to me, i probs have vertigo but i carnt accet thats propley all that it is... so i do know how yous all feel caus getting palpertaions is a scary when it catches you breath its even worse..... xxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Postnatal Health All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular