I have a back injury should I have an elective cesearean

KirstiePickles
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:27 am 
Post subject: I have a back injury should I have an elective cesearean
I have long term back problems including slipped discs and more recently a disc herniation. i am never without back pain really and I am really worried that labour will aggravated my condition. Also, the muscles that corset around your back......mine are very weak and physio's cant seem to help me strengthen them

I am not sure this is reason enough to have a cesearean, and I am worred about the operation itself and how I will recover from it. For instance are you bed bound after the op, or can I get on with looking after my new born???

Any advise would be appreciated

Thank you

Kirstie
Hellbells
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:28 pm 
Post subject: Re: I have a back injury should I have an elective cesearean
KirstiePickles wrote:
I have long term back problems including slipped discs and more recently a disc herniation. i am never without back pain really and I am really worried that labour will aggravated my condition. Also, the muscles that corset around your back......mine are very weak and physio's cant seem to help me strengthen them

I am not sure this is reason enough to have a cesearean, and I am worred about the operation itself and how I will recover from it. For instance are you bed bound after the op, or can I get on with looking after my new born???

Any advise would be appreciated

Thank you

Kirstie

Hi,

I had an elective c-section as my little girl was breech. My cousin had an elective c-section as she has had back surgery several times. You need to ask the doc (Orthopaedics?) dealling with your back whether it would be better to have a c-section. I think eventually for my cousin it was the Anaesthetist who advised a GA for the section as she would have otherwise needed a spinal block (an injection into your spinal column) to freeze you for the c-section. I had this and I would recommend it but if you've a back problem it may be problematic. You are aawake throughout the delivery of the baby with the spinal block. It's a little like an epidural.

Recovery-Mmmh. You're only numb from the spinal for a few hours but you have a catheter in for a day (I think-memory a little vague. Don't think it was any longer) and you're on a drip for a while too after the delivery so you can't really walk around with that in. I was up the next day walking around. You are a bit tender but just make sure you take all the painkillers offered to you. Somepeople don't and then you have pain in your tummy area rom the surgery. You'll need this for a few days. At least a week anyway. Once you're off the drip and the catheter is out, it's time to get on looking after your newborn. I found I forgot I'd even had urgery as it was my first baby and i had so much to learn. So I just had to get on with it. I was in hospital 4 days.

I have no regrets having anelective c-section. It was safer for the baby overall.

hope thi helps

helen
elainewithnail
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:53 am 
Post subject:
I've had 2 c-sections and am due to have a 3rd in 6 weeks. I was up after about 12 hours, off painkillers in less than 24 hours (I was breastfeeding). I didn't have a catheter, and my IV was removed because I was drinking a lot anyway. I had my second son on Thursday and was able to come home on Saturday (with my first, I had to stay in longer because he had some jaundice).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular