going from formula to cows milk

RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:47 pm 
Post subject: going from formula to cows milk
Hi all,

In a months time I am going to be doing this and just wondered how people did it. At the moment my son has 3 x 7oz bottles, 3 meals and snacks throughout the day. The nursery (he is there 4 days per week) are happy to go with what I want but it seems they offer milk twice a day with snacks at 11am and 4pm then I would expect to give him a bottle before bed.

My concerns are:

at the moment, he has Ready Brek and fruit puree at 7am then a bottle at 10am, sometimes earlier. I am worried he wont be able to wait til 11am for his snack and milk but if they give him milk at 9:30 for example - he will want more when the other children have theirs!

He has water from a beaker but is not great at using it - its an Avent one that I have taken the valve out of so its freeflowing. I am not sure whether to put the milk in this from now on or buy one of the Black and White cups my HV mentioned therefore he will know milk is in the black and white cup and water in his other beaker.

Finally (I promise!) his last milk of the day - should I give that in a beaker also or a bottle?

Sorry for long post!
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:25 pm 
Post subject:
Laughing Laughing We all have asked those same questions dont worry!!! Ok, Hunter has Nursary School too and even though they have set times for snacks etc every child has bottles at different times.
To intro cows milk I started adding a little to his bottle and slowly increased it over a week till it was completly cows milk, you will be suprised how much they enjoy it!! He had a morning bottle at Nursary, one not long after lunch and then one before bedtime. Once he was a year I cut out the lunchtime one because he was eating alot more food and loves his water. He is 14mnths now and has 125ml in the morning and before bed. The rest of the time is water which he loves anyway.
Just try and see what works for you both and let day care know what you are doing so they can follow. Good luck! xx
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:26 pm 
Post subject:
Oh forgot to say that he still has his milk in a bottle and his water in a sipper cup but do what ever suits you. Wil be moving his milk from bottle to sipper very shortly
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:00 pm 
Post subject:
hi i started by weaning my daughter of her baby milk, shes now 14mths and had her last baby milk last week. i replaced the afternoon bottle with cows milk at 9 mths then replaced the morning bottle with cows milk so it just left babyb milk for bed. but last week felt she was eating enough to stop the baby milk so she now has cows milk. she has breakfast at 7.30am ready brek followed by toast. then at 8.45am has a bottle of cow milk. snack at 11 usually a biscuit followed by juice in a cup. dinner at 12.15pm i do try and give her a hot dinner and depending on her some fruit. then a bottle at 1.15 for her afternoon sleep. snack at 3 with juice or water tea at 5pm with pudding and bottle for bed at 7pm. i found it easier to wean her of her baby milk but she still likes her cows milk in a bottle and warmed through. good luck hun Very Happy xxx
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:31 pm 
Post subject:
Hey,

thanks for your advice.

Bubble - how many oz/mls are those drinks?

Thanks
bubble08
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:34 pm 
Post subject:
she will have a 6 oz in the morning, 7oz for bed and 8 oz for bed all cows milk. her juice is just half of tippie cup xxx
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:53 pm 
Post subject:
hey hun my son stsrtade drinking cows milk at about 18months old before that he was on sma progress he took to it straight away and was only drinking 1 bottle of cowsmilk warm before going to bed as he had cut it out during the day and dint like drinking it other then before bed its good to get them on it when they r eating more solids as it only acts as a drink and not a food aswell xxx
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:11 am 
Post subject:
hey RW

we'd already cut out daytime bottles except for one after breakfast porrige and his supper bottle, I just waited until the formula ran out, then gave him cow's milk - don't even think he noticed lol.

We now use cow's milk to make his porridge, and he has a 10oz bottle before bed. Other than that its water from a cup all day. We top up to roughly a pint of dairy a day with yoghurt after lunch. If we don't have yoghurt I will either make banana miklshake or give him a cup of milk after lunch - tat's in his highchair from a 'proper' cup, with no lid at all. The only things he has from 'proper' cups at the moment are apple juice and cold milk - water is a tippee cup and warm milk is a bottle.

Anna
xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular