research project

justinz
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:02 pm 
Post subject: research project
Hi, I'm sorry if this is not entirely appropriate but I am doing a design project for school and I was hoping some of you can help me.
My course is about transport systems and different users, and I have to research about a family that has a 10 month old boy and a 7 year old girl.
If anyone has any information about traveling on public transport, or in a car or any general information/problems it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
JustinZ
RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:56 pm 
Post subject:
sorry but I only have a four month old otherwise I would help.

Good luck in finding someone - you could try local nurseries.
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:29 am 
Post subject:
Hey Justin

I'll relate my recent experience of long-distance publice transport for you! Virgin trains need a complete design overhaul for families!

I went to see my Mum by train with my 3 month old baby boy (this was a couple fo months ago now). I live in Devon, she lives in West Wales. I went to the train station to book my tickets as I wanted assisted passage to get me on and off trains with a pram, rather than relying on the kindness of strangers. The staff were all fab - but the trains varied greatly! Virgin trains on the way up had no space for a pram or buggy, so I spent the 2hrs to Bristol stood in a corridor beside a toilet. Luckily baby slept the entire time. I then switched to First Great Western - who had nice space for a pram,but my seat was booked in a different carriage (nice guard sorted me out though). I then switch to Arriva Wales, again, lovely family carriage designed to accomodate buggies, prams, toddles etc (although another lady travelling with her 18month old had a scare because the door open with hand pressure, and slide into a tiny gap - her boy came very close to a nasty accident!). On the way back, Arriva and FGW were OK again, and Virgin cross country was horrific. It was absolutely packed, there was ONE wheelchair space on the train, located in the quiet carriage. This already had a buggy in it, as well as a lot of suitcases. The nice guard moved the suitcases, and the other Mum and I managed to maneuvre our prmas into the space together. Poor baby was v hungry and had been terrified by a train blowing its horn on the station, so was screaming his head off until i could find a seat and get a bottle into him - VERY popular in the quiet coach!! When I did find a seat, I couldn't sctually get my feet in because the footwell was completely full of rubbish from previous travellers (beer cans and coffee cups). Absolutely disgusting.

Hope that helps Very Happy

Jump to:  

Community

Popular