Sick Leave

ConnorsMummy
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:11 pm 
Post subject: Sick Leave
Hi there I don't know if anyone can help me?

I'm aware that if you are off sick whilst pregnant then your employer can not discriminate or deduct any days off sick from your sickness allowance regarding the sick leave.

My question is that if you only get 5 weeks full pay for sick leave what happens if you are signed off by a doctor for more than your 5 week allowance, does your employer still have to pay you or is it unpaid??
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:32 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there,

If you are off sick during pregnancy it does actually come off of your annual sick leave entitlement. It does not come off of your maternity leave entitlement unless it is within 4 weeks of your due date. I'm not sure if you've got confused with those two. They cannot discriminate against you i.e they cannot take disciplinary action against you for being off sick in pregnancy.

You would go onto statutory sick pay after 5 weeks if that was your annual entitlement from your employer.

Hope that helps x
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:40 pm 
Post subject:
Strange, I asked ACAS and they said it cannot come off sick leave entitlement because to do so would be sex discrimination if it was pregnancy related?
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:46 pm 
Post subject:
Hmmmmm i'm not sure now!!!!! I have been off for 5 weeks now (pregnancy related) and as far as I knew it was coming off my sickness entitlement.....I will phone ACAS too and check for myself as I didn't ask them that when I called. I've got 13 weeks entitlement so it wasn't going to cause me any hassles anyway.

If this is the case then surely your employer would just have to continue to pay you your normal wages as the 5 weeks would never be touched?
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:55 pm 
Post subject:
Hello again,
Glad I checked that!!!! The guy said that it does not affect your sick leave entitement (sorry my mistake!) so if it's pregnancy related then you can pretty much be off as long as you need. I also asked if your employer is allowed to bring mat leave forward once it becomes the eligible date for it and he said no, as long as it's not within the last 4 weeks of pregnancy then your employer would just have to continue paying you as normal.
xxx
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:14 pm 
Post subject:
Well we both learned something then.

I'm having a horrendous time at one of the offices I work at (the main one) in terms of the office being dirty, unhygienic with hazards in places I HAVE to go, people not speaking to me now because I've kicked up a stink about it. I keep stressing about it and ending up crying myself to sleep some nights. I have asked for an office relocation and they offered me an office 10 miles further away from home. It already takes me over an hour to get to work and over an hour home!

I feel like going to the doctors as I'm sure all the stress is not good for me OR the baby??
wac77
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:27 pm 
Post subject:
Hi I know how you feel, I usually deal with stresful situations without a thought Im back in work for a day and ive had a small panic attack and am getting really stressed out about getting up and speaking infront of groups, I dont know what to do im only about 5 weeks im hoping this will pass along with the sleepy and sicky feeling.
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:33 pm 
Post subject:
Definitely go to the docs if you feel unable to go higher up and do it asap!

I was in a similar situation at my job where my boss was basically bullying me because I was pregnant and making my life absolute hell. After putting up with it for 4 months I had a breakdown, suffering severe ab pains and was in a terrible state.I have ended up now attending an ante natal depression group for anxiety/stress management sessions, I have to see my GP every week so he can check the baby's heartbeat and monitor my ab pains and I only deal with HR now as my boss was such a cow when I finally got signed off. I wish for my baby's sake I had done it sooner as I will always resent the fact that I have suffered like this when pregnant for no reason other than someone else's selfishness and spite. I felt it was going to be too stressful to put a formal complaint in at the moment but have agreed with HR to do it at a later point so this woman can be sorted out. My doc was amazing and had no problem signing me off xxxx
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:35 pm 
Post subject:
Wac, speak to your boss now if they are approachable and see if they can be supportive to you. You may well feel better in a couple of weeks when all the hormones settle down but it might be worth mentioning it now and saying that you need a little bit of extra support at the moment xxx
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:41 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks i will,
I just feel so stupid that i cant deal with things like i used to. Im shocked at how quickly this change has come on.
I will keep you posted on how i get on.
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:44 pm 
Post subject:
The hormones can be crazy in first trimester and make you feel quite unlike yourself. I said some very bizarre things back then and was going to divorce my husband and everything!!! After 12 weeks it did calm down a bit. I completely undertsand how you're feeling and hope you feel a bit better soon xxxx
Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:56 pm 
Post subject:
Well I've done as you suggested, I've been signed off for 4 weeks with "Stress". I asked my doc to put "pregnancy related stress" on sick note so that it doesn't impact on my sick leave/pay entitlement. I've also started to look for a job with a more sympathetic employer!!
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:12 pm 
Post subject:
Aww I bet you feel more relieved now. Make sure that any incidents that happened whilst you were there are recorded with dates so if you decide to make a complaint in a while you have everything ready.
As far as I know from ACAS, you can hand your notice in at the end of your mat leave so it means you might get some extra pennies from accumulated holidays or any bonus you would perhaps have gotten whilst at work. I am planning to do this and then go for something on a part time basis whilst the bubba is very young in a very NOT stressful position!!!!! Laughing How far on are you?xxxx
Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:18 pm 
Post subject:
I can't see me having the whole pregnancy off sick, they can find me a new office who I can work with. I'm only 17 weeks gone so far too early to be thinking of staying off til January!! (That's when I plan to go back after maternity leave) I've had interview with different company who will give 10 weeks full pay regardless of your length of service (apparently) so fingers crossed for that. I threatened to leave and my boss said "you're 4 months pregnant, no-one will take you on!!!" I don't want to work for a company like that!!

My hubby is looking for a new job closer to home with better pay so I may be able to go part time too. Fingers crossed!!
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:26 pm 
Post subject:
OMG that's awful that your boss said that!!!! Actually it the kind of thing my boss would say!!! At least the 4 weeks will give you a chance to relax a bit and regroup for what comes next. That interview you went for sounds promising so good luck with that xxx
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular