PATERNITY LEAVE

alfieb
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:12 pm 
Post subject: PATERNITY LEAVE
hi im new!!, and i am a proud father who has just had a wonderfull baby boy!!

I was just wondering if any one knew or had advice or thinks im in the wrong about paternity leave and entitilments....

I work for a large multi billion pound transport company and have just been on 2 wks paternity leave and returned back to work last night, saturday night! only to find out that i owe 2 weekend shift turns due to me being on paternity leave?,when i asked what i owed them for the reply i got made me think that we still live in the 80`s ...... due to the policy of this company paternity leave is only from a monday to friday,but even tho' my contract states that i work a 5 day shift rota which includes a SATURDAY NIGHT ( 3 in every 4 weekends) they told me that i owed them these weekends...(which the manager has actually put me on bank holiday weekend cos it suits him...but thats another story).
Before my paternity leave i asked them about this predicament and they told me that it would suit me and them that if we put down on are paternity leave form and roster sheet that i took paternity from monday to friday rather then saturday because of this ruling and that it would benefit myself due to payments??
If this is to be then to me it sounds like people who work different day and night shifts are on the same paternity structure as 9 to 5 jobs?

Im sorry for the rambling on but this has got my back up and im a doting father who wants to spend as much time with my son as possible and not have to work the next 8 weekends in a row just because i owe them weekends??...

PLEASE CAN ANY ONE TELL ME IF IM WRONG OR WHO TO GO FOR FOR THE BEST ADFVICE ON THIS ? MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO READ THIS AND MAY HELP ME AND MY FAMILY !!!

[/u]
MiniMeg
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:51 pm 
Post subject:
hiya - the only thing i can suggest is try the Citizens Advice Bureau (might b online) or try
www.directgov.co.uk - they shud b able 2 tell exactly wot ur rights r, good luck
Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:16 am 
Post subject: PATERNITY LEAVE
Quote:
just spoken to my union rep and to ACAS and i am in the right ....shift patterns are a reconised paternity leave and not just monday to friday as it may seem.

my union rep RMT told me that the only way they can do this is if they change your roster for a genuine reason ...not paternity leave they only do this to suit themselfs to get what they want so if any up coming fathers who have working shift patterns check with your contract first and make sure u know the facts and policy of that contract so that u can fight for paternity leave to include weekend shifts !

ACAS told me that there might be a clause in the contract that states some companys only reconise mon to fri workings but the law states that you shoud not have any grievence once you return to work (depremand) so if there is any problems chat to your employers first then if it cant be sorted if u have union reps speak to them if not speak to ACAS telephone number at bottom of transcript..

this is an on going problem in my work place and it has effected 5 men that i work with and its time that someone stood up and said this isnt right and we need help!! i blindly shrugged this problem off because it didnt effect me but now im a new father i am trying to stand and fight this problem within my work place and help my other employees....

my advice to new fathers is dont let them push u into a corner there is help out there and i know i ramble on but if u need help i can try and help you to the best of my knowledge or if u need advice on this the best people to talk to is C.A.B or ACAS or your UNION

ACAS NUMBER ; 08457474747

P.S sorry about spelling mistakes and the rambling on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> The Dads' Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular