studying with children

AmyandLewis
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:52 pm 
Post subject: studying with children
anyone else going to be a mummy and be studying at the same time?
how do u cope?

x x x
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:56 pm 
Post subject:
well i dont study but i do work at the same time well not staright away i went back tow rok wen louise was almost 6 months and it is difficult still getting up sometimes in the night and trying to get into routine that suits everyone can be difficut.

bexs84
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:25 pm 
Post subject:
i was at college when i had my eldest it was ok they had a nersery at the college so she came with me .. she was just down the corridor from me she couldnt go there till she was 8 weeks old but they just gave me work to do from home for them 8 weeks ..
it was quite good i would drop her off in the mornin i could get her at lunch if i wanted to see her then take her back and pic her up at end of day .. the only thing i did find bein a problem was that when i was on placement days the college wouldnt look after her i had o be on site so i ended up failin my course because of missed placement days but they say that things are different now and that they have to offer you childcare !!
so if you want your baby with you while you finish your studies i would ask about childcare ..
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:04 am 
Post subject:
the uni im going to has a nursery too but im not sure if they will look after bubs when im on placements will have to find out about that x x x
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:12 pm 
Post subject:
i'm in my first year at Leeds Met. was an absolute nightmate having to take time off to have the baby and trying to study...have gotten so far behind i've had to apply for mitigation as i missed all my exams...yet i'm trying for another!!!

i seem to be on top of the uni/baby thing now as me and sam juggle schedules(he's in last year and works part time) but if i have another it's pretty likely i will have to take a year out x

StephanieeB
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:07 am 
Post subject:
amyminibump - I don't know if this will be of any help, but as you have no or low income you are entitled to tax credits, I dont think you will be able to appy until the baby has arrived but they pretty much cover the costs of childcare so say you had to use a day nursery a few days a week while your on placement you wouldn't have to worry about the cost too much.

Give them a call and explain your expecting and studying and they can outline what you may or may not be entitled too. I know the child minder/nursery you use has to be registered but I think you can get a list of these that apply from your local council.

08453 003 900

hope this helps?
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:04 pm 
Post subject:
hey thanks a lot hun will definatly look into that and see! x x x
Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:34 pm 
Post subject:
yeah i was studying at uni until 28 weeks. now am on leave until october. thought id be okay but financially i am screwed. cant claim income support coz still classed as a student and too heavily pregnant to claim job seekers or get a job... duno what im guna do!
jade25
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:43 pm 
Post subject:
hey i was traing to be a hairdresser but couldnt of done it with out my mums help she always looked after my little girl i started my traing wen she was 3 n finish wen she was 5 just last december it was a evening course at the city college they do evening class n then i done a one day placment in a salon plus i was working to xxx

XxSunshineMummyXx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:58 pm 
Post subject:
I can't really say as i'm currently a stay-at-home mum whilst my partner goes out to work however i am going to uni part-time to do an English language degree and am looking for just a few hours work a week, more just to give me a break and get me out for a few hours than financial reasons Very Happy xxxx

xSiobhanAx
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:30 pm 
Post subject:
I was in yr 10 when I had Molly and now have just finished school.
I went back coz my mum had my baby bro a couple of months b4 I had Molly and she thought (as did my step-dad) that it was important I got GCSE's so she looked after molly 4 me Smile
Think I will try and get Molly into a nursery coz am going to try 2 go college in sept
xx
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:28 pm 
Post subject:
I had Emily during summer so went straight back to school when the new term started. I was studing whenever I got the chance. trying to fit little sessions in here and there. But then I figured out a little routine and that helped alot. I think if you can work out where to cram it all in it helps.

God knows how I'm going to fit everything in after I have my second…

You just have to work out a routine and then everything fits into place.

Nic xx

(I know I'm a little late with the advice but better late than never!)
katieleah
Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:50 am 
Post subject:
hi there, i had my daughter Leah 7months ago. i found out i was pregnant the week befor i was due to start at teeside university to do my nursing degree. i decided to set my starting date back to september 2010. I suffered really bad with mornign sickness and figured i wouldnt get much work done with my head down the loo 24/7. I have been able to enjoy watch my daughter develop for 7months and i feel it is important to spnd quality time with your baby in their 1st few months. i go back to work in may and then start uni in september.

My partners mam and my mam will be looking after Leah but i also popped into my local surestart nursery to get a price list. Its £38 for a full day which might seam like allot but if you are able to claim child tax then i think they pay unto 80% of your child care costs,

So i am thinking of putting Leah in there a few days a week so she can learn to interact with other children her age.

look into it there is loads of help out there and they always premoting young mums to keep studying so there will be help for you.

hope thius helps you
simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:03 am 
Post subject:
hi im currently at college doing an access to nursing course, i started in sept when was 27 weeks pregnant and i also have 2other children (7 and 2) it was quite hard to catch up after having 3 weeks off to have baby and because he was quite poorly. but i have caught up now and doing well, my cousin looks after my children for me as i culdnt get any help with childcare costs Sad but working out wellso far xXx
kylzzzz
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:26 pm 
Post subject:
hey i was in college and found out i was pregnant in my NVQ level 1 of hairdressing! I completed the course in june, gave birth in july and went back for my NVQ level 2 in september.. im currently studying my NVQ level 3 in college and doing teaching next year, if u have help with the little one its much easier to cope Smile x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Younger Parents All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular