Newbie!!

Alowicious
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:25 pm 
Post subject: Newbie!!

Hi everyone, I have been reading the forum and it seems there are lots of people in the same/similar situation as me so I thought I would share my story.

My husband has two kids from a previous marriage. I have none. We have been married for 4 years, together for 9 and my hubby had a vasectomy reversal on dec 23rd 2008 as we would both like to try for a child. Unfortunatley the op didn't go as planned and the surgeon could only reconnect the left side tube. At the same time my hubby had a biopsy so we could freeze some sperm.

The sperm freezing was successful and we have 8 - 15 IVF attempts of sperm frozen, the sperm is good quality and has sufficient mobility apparently. This gave us hope that the vasectomy reversal may have been successful too.

We didn't start having nookie again until 6 weeks after the op, our surgeon advised us to wait at least 1 month but we decided to leave it a bit longer just in case. He also advised us to have the first test after one month of the op so our first sperm test was carried out a few days ago and we have just received the results.

Apparently the lab found 2 sperm!!!!! 2 sperm only and they are not moving. They don't know if this is residue sperm from the tubes or new sperm since the op. For the first few seconds I thought this was funny, my hubby and I had placed bets at how many would be found, to try and keep our spirits up, he guessed 3 and said they would be swimming in circles. I thought he might have a few hundred.

I am now gutted, but as he is a sensitive man I have tried to sound positive and assured him it is early days and it can take up to a year for the sperm to come back. Deep down I am convinced that it hasn't worked.

So there is my story to date.

I am not going to give up, its a healthy diet, exercise and no more ciggarettes and wine for hubby Very Happy

Copious amounts of baby dust to all x x
HoneyNurse
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:20 pm 
Post subject:
Well come and good luck!!
How long had it been since your hubby's original vasectomy/
I thought that the first sperm test was 3 months so maybe one month was a bit soon.

We have our initial consultation march 9th and have been penciled in for his op on the 8th may.

xxSUExx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:39 pm 
Post subject:
Hello & welcome to askbaby!! Razz

I was just wondering.....how come a sperm test was done at one month after op? seems a bit too soon to me Confused My hubby is having his reversal done on Friday & we have been told 3 months will be when they test for the first time. I guess I wouldn't worry too much at this stage about only seeing 2 sperm. You said they did a test after a month but you waited until 6 weeks before nookie.......your hubby needs to ejaculate to get rid of the old dead sperm before new ones will be produced, maybe this is why there weren't many there. I have heard it will take 12 - 24 months to conceive after a reversal but even so, I think we all hope it will happen immediatley (me included!) try not to convince yourself it hasn't worked as it is still very early days for you! Good luck ttc & fingers crossed for a few million sperm next time testing!!

Sue x
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:27 am 
Post subject:
We have also been told that the test will be at 3 months as it can take this long for the healthy sperm to reappear.

Welcome to the forum. xxxx
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:58 pm 
Post subject:
hi everyone,
this is all very new to me but would love some advice if any1 could help, im 34 and was sterilized 9 yrs ago and it was the biggest mistake of my life, im thinking of seeing my GP about a reversal but would love to hear from any1 in a similar situation or with any good advice. thankyou
ClairaBell
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:11 pm 
Post subject:
jemm, you might be better posting on the Sterilisation Reversal thread. xxxx

Hope you get it sorted. xxx
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:14 pm 
Post subject:
thankyou xx
Alowicious
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:40 am 
Post subject:
Hi everyone, thank you all for your reassurance Surprised)

To answer your questions it has been about 14 years since hubby had his vasectomy and we were told that we had a 30% chance of the reversal working because of the length of time and because hubby is a smoker.

We were told by the doctor to test after one month but we waited until 6 weeks to do the first test because we wanted to make sure hubby was all healed and back to normal. We didn't have nookie until after the first test.

I am feeling a little better now I have read your posts about waiting for 3 months, fingers crossed there will be more sperm next time Surprised)

For those of you whose hubbys are having the reversal soon I thought I would share some details about my hubbys op. -

The op took three hours because the surgeon couldn't find the tube ends for one testicle. The op took place at 7.30 on 23/12/08 and my hubby said that when he woke from the op he had some slight pain until the nurse gave him some painkillers. He wasn't allowed to move from the bed and he had some pressure things on his legs to keep the blood flowing round (a bit like when the doctor takes your blood pressure on your arm except these are on your legs and inflate then deflate every few seconds). He had to keep those on overnight and had trouble sleeping with them. He also had a drip in his arm. He was slit down the front in the op and he swelled up quite a bit and had black bruising. If any of your hubbys are smokers they will not be allowed to have a ciggarette at all so advise them to take a patch with them to stick on! Also they won't let your hubby leave the hospital until he has had a wee.

The next morning 24/12/08 when hubby left hospital he walked like John Wayne and found it uncomfy to sit down. He had a pad over the area of the op and was told he could have a bath to help ease the swelling if he wanted. He was given paracetamol and codeine and ibruprofen. The nurse told him alcohol would be the best painkiller!!!! Hubby didn't use any of the codeine at all. He was a bit scared of going for a wee but did it - yey!!

On Christmas morning hubby was in agony. He nearly cried. He had trouble getting out of bed and his face just crumpled in pain. He had to wait a bit for the painkillers to kick in and then he was ok until he went to the loo again and noticed that his stitches were bleeding. The bleeding didn't last long and he was ok again (apart from having a mild heart attack wondering where he could go on xmas day to get it sorted out). I played nurse maid and bathed the area and we used a sanitary towel in case there was any more blood but there wasn't. The next morning he was fine and didn't have much pain. He still walked like John Wayne because of the swelling but it was going down. I think it took about 2 weeks for the swelling to have completley gone but that might be because the surgeon did quite a lot of routing around for the tubes on the side they couldn't reconnect.

Now you can't even tell he has had it done.

I would advise you all to have some sperm frozen if you haven't already just in case, we had this done at the same time as the reversal and I am so glad we did because now we have a back up if the results are still pants in April.

Good luck to all x x
HoneyNurse
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:16 pm 
Post subject:
Aw.
we have to travel for a while so i hope Dan is ok...i wont let him read this lol!!
Especially the nursing part...that will be it.
We have 2 weeks off together after the op!
Its been the same time frame for my OH and dan is a smoker..although he has cut down!
Did you hubby have his op 7.30 am or 7.30 pm?

Thanks for all that info its handy to know1!

HoneyNurse
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:17 pm 
Post subject:
Also..sorry another question.....lol
did they give 30% chance that it would work with only 1 tube reconnected?

hopingforamiracle
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:29 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Alowicious

Welcome to Askbaby.com

I want to offer a bit of hope. My hubby had a reversal in 1999 after one month we were told that NO sperm had been detected, after several months we were told he was infertile.

Since then we have had 3 x pregnancies, and apart from having Anti-sperm Anti Bodies his SA is normal.

I hope things get better for you and you get a BFP naturally.

Lisa
xx
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:52 am 
Post subject:
Hi everyone Very Happy

Honeynurse, my hubby had his op at 7.30 am on the 23rd. He was given some support pants to wear at the hospital but they took them off him when he left as they said the type of undies he wears would do the same job.

Also the 30% chance was given at the consultancy meeting the day before the op. The consultant didn't mention the odds again after the op and we were too dissapointed to ask! As long as there is no blockage I assume that the odds will be the same???

Thanks Lisa for your story it does give me some hope. Its a couple of days after the bad result and I am feeling fine again now and I have renewed hope that we tested too soon and it will all work out somehow Very Happy

x x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular