IVF question

fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:14 am 
Post subject: IVF question
Hello, after recieving a very poor result from DH's semen analysis (no motility and a count of only 1 million) IVF may be the only option for us.

I was just wondering for those of you who are private how much roughly does it cost? And for those who are NHS how long was your waiting list? Thanks
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:57 am 
Post subject:
i was told about a year ago that it wud cost 3500 and every other attempt after that 1500 as they wud hav collected the eggs xxxxxxxx
but i suppose it prob wud be different prices at different hospitals as it is with reversals xxxxxxx
good luck hun xxxxxxx hope you sort it xxxxxxxx

tubal reversal april 08
it worked!!!! i had 2 beautiful reversal babies
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:42 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you for the reply, Im just starting to look into it at the moment and still hoping it wont have to come to that. It seems like alot of money but a new baby is better than a new car anyday!
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:23 am 
Post subject:
HI there we've been told 3500 private too in Kent. We also will have to pay on the NHS too as we are out of the necessary postcode! Its 2years on the waiting list and we are currently trying other things whilst we wait and if I don't go completely mad first we'll be at the top of the list jan 2010!

Has DH taken any vitiam supplements for his boys?

Good luck xxx
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:04 am 
Post subject:
Hi,

Ours is costing 2636 + approx 600 for drugs. Any good fertilised embryo's are then frozen for 12 months at no extra cost.

The initial consultation was 160 and semen analyis is 95. We dont need ICSI but if you did that would be 810.

Hope that helps
Good luck x
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:26 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for that. He is taken vitamins and has cut right down on alcohol, he doesnt smoke and is eating more fruit and veg.
I think we would need icsi as it stands at the moment but hopefully all his efforts will improve things in the next few months.
In the meantime we better get saving!!
Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:33 pm 
Post subject:
Hi fc79,

My oh has has poor S/A results. I have made him reduce his alcohol intake - bit of a struggle! and given him a list of vitamins/ supplements to take and see if it helps.
I have him on:-
200mg Pycnogenol (100mg x 2 a day)
1000mg Maca root (500mg x 2 a day)
2 sachets of proxeed a day (taken morning and night with fresh oj - expensive)
200mg CoEnzymeQ10 caps (2 x 100mg a day)

He will be doing further S/A in about 8/9 weeks to see if he has improved. There are quite a few ladies on FF community that have had great results from this. I just hope it works for us.

Julie xxxxxxx

Our baby Eleanor lost 6 Apr 10
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:14 pm 
Post subject:
Hello Julie, I hope that his next test shows a big improvement for you. My DH is sticking well to his new regime (so far!) We even drank non-alcoholic wine last night when we had friends over as they dont know about it. I might try some of the other vitamins on your list, I've got him taking multi vit A-Z which has the zinc, vit e, vit c and folic acid, then also got the co enzyme Q10 and selenium.
Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:22 pm 
Post subject: Hi fc79
Hi fc79,
I'm new to this but my story is similar to yours and was wondering what stage you are at!
My OH is the same as your DH.
Please could you help?
Claire x
Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:58 am 
Post subject:
Hello Claire, I've sent you a pm with all the info I know!
Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:02 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you, I have PM you hope you have received it!
Claire x
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:29 pm 
Post subject:
Im currently getting IVF on NHS and I have up to three cycles on the NHS, just finished my first cycle and awaiting outcome in next couple of weeks.

It is a postcode lottery as some people at work have only been offered 1 cycles as they live in a different PCT area.

It has taken me 2.5 years to get from initial appointment to IVF, had clomid and IUI first (NHS as well).

I think that most PCT's now offer 1 cycle and are aiming for three following government recommendations.

The current criteria for funding is the female being aged between 23 and 39 and never partner can have any children at all (including previous relationships and adoption).

My advice would be get to your doctor and tell him that you want to be referred as you have been trying for years and years (they like you to have tried for at least a year before referring, so say you have for 2 or more years). Don't take no for an answer, I was fobbed off for years before actually getting the guts to put my foot down, so be strong and assertive.

As Ive had all the treatment (Clomid, IUI and IVF) I can truly say that the worse part in waiting for ivf, once it starts its not that bad and can get exciting. The injections are scary at first but don't really hurt and I found some spots on my thighs where I didn't even feel anything. I found Clomid and IUI (menopur) drugs a lot worse than the IVF drugs as well, so all in all its not been to bad an experience.

Stay positive and make sure you have support from family and friends. When I was first referred I didn't tell anyone and found keeping it a secrete made me more depressed each month when treatment didn't work. Ive told all close family, friends and work colleagues this time and their support is brilliant. Being able to talk freely about everything, getting support and encouragement on a daily basis has made me so much happier. Happiness is vitial for any fertility treatment success.

Good luck and let us know how things go
foxycg1
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:25 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Banner,
Reading your post has cheered me up, Hope u get that BFP x x
I have been trying for 4 yrs and nearly raady to start IVF, it has been so frustrating and hearbraking too, I hope soon they will get the ball rolling!
Good luck x x
Claire Very Happy
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:26 am 
Post subject:
hi i was referred in november and got the consultation letter in february for and april appointment. we have 2 free goes on the NHS. after the consultation we have to wait 2-4 months for the procedure to start.

we didnt think we needed ivf as i got a bfp in march but miscarried at 5weeks - luckily we didnt cancel the appointment. i was scheduled for iui (privately) which we cancelled and i miscarried the day of the original appointment. i didnt want iui after that.

goodluck, 6 months was all we waited for the consultation, i was thinking it would be more like 1-2yrs.

xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular