Castor Oil

Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:16 am 
Post subject: Castor Oil
Hi all, unusual question time!!! I have just read some advice from 1 member to another about bringing on labour - take castor oil. During antinatal classes 1 of the mums to be asked about that and were told under no uncertain terms to take castor oil. Do any of you know why you shouldnt or where the wives tale came from?
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:35 am 
Post subject:
Hi Huntermac

I think they advise you not to take castor oil as it is a very strong laxative and can cause you to have very bad onset of diarrhoea! So they usually advise against it as it doesn't always make you go into labour. As they say sometimes your bowel actions can stimulate you to go into labour

You are most probably better off trying to use natural methods, sex as could make the uterus contract sex releases a natural hormone oxytocin that can bring on contractions and also semen contains a hormone that can bring on labour when you are ready.

Also stimulating your nipples!

I was due on a Wednesday, had a loving morning with my partner, then a hot bath and did perineum massage Embarassed and an hour/two later I started to get irregular contractions and a show! I then gave birth early hours Friday morning/
Marmalade
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:38 am 
Post subject:
It's because it can cause diarrhea that could leave you dehydrated. If it was to cause labour at the same time you could lose to many fluids and cause complications. I found this on a website....... castor oil or other bowel stimulants should not be used to provoke labor. While they can initiate contractions, they tend to produce significant abdominal discomfort and may cause dehydration and electrolyte disturbances that can endanger both mother and child. Hope this helps. xx
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:23 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for that guys!! I wasnt lucky enough to have contractions at all, had an emergency C Sec insted. Sad Have had friends discuss castor oil so at least now I can point them in a new direction!!! Very Happy
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am 
Post subject:
i tried caster oil last week and i would never do it again yak i was sick all night xx not good
Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:50 am 
Post subject: caster oil!!!
Hi, I was advised by family members and a few friends to try castor oil and orange juice to help bring on labour and empty bowels before hand, I tried this with my last pregnacy and trust me DO NOT TRY IT!!!!!! it made me violently sick and empty my bowles it did which did bring on labour but toooo fast and strong and PAINFULL from the start. Please please please don't try this it was the worst thing i COULD OF DONE.
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:11 pm 
Post subject:
God that sounds awful, bowel pain with contractions?? Geez how did you cope!! Amazing how old wives tales still live on, I think we are a new breed of mother these days. There a so many do's and dont's that there are not many people that can give us advice thats right!! LOL Its kind of scary that we now have to place so much trust in our midwives and docter because they are the only ones with the most up to date info.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular