how much milk does your one year old have?

RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:29 pm 
Post subject: how much milk does your one year old have?
Hi all,

my little man used to drink between 18 and 21oz a day of milk, it has been slowly dropping and today he's only had 9oz maximum. We have had to do 5 parts formula to 2 parts cows milk as he flatly refuses a bottle of cows milk only whether its in a beaker/bottle/warmed or not... I am not too worried about that, just concerned that it is such a sudden drop....he does have milk in his Ready Brek and at least one yoghurt with a very balanced diet throughout the day...is this alright or should I contact HV as a bit worried?

thanks
Atana
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:47 pm 
Post subject:
I've always tried to give my kids about a pint of milk a day, which used to include the milk I put on their cereal (until they decided they didn't like cereal) Your little one sounds like he's getting quite a lot if he's drinking about half a pint and having it on his cereal and having a yogourt, so I wouldn't worry too much. Their appetites do decrease once they're passed the age of 1 as their growth rate slos down. He may want to dink more once he's more used to the taste. My second son was fully breastfed and when I first tried to introduce cows milk he refused to take it from a bottle or cup and I had to spoon it into his mouh until he got used to the taste.
Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:00 am 
Post subject:
Hi, I wouldn't worry too much, you know what they're like, some weeks guzzlers, other weeks don't want to know!!! If you are worried about him getting all the nutrients, you could always think about trying the 1+ formulas which are far superior to cows milk - maybe just one of those a day and the rest of his milk as normal..... I know that Aptimil do this and also I think I may have seen an ad for Cow and Gate. Has he been taking just cows milk for long or have you recently moved over to it? Personally I cannot imagine anything more revolting than drinking full fat milk, soooo creamy, it makes Star throw up everytime even if I just add it to her cereal which is why I have been looking into the 1+ options.

Anyway, hope that helps..... good luck!
moonhare
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:56 pm 
Post subject:
Seren will have between two and three 21oz bottles a day, she loves her milk! She still prefers formula to cow's milk though.x
my2beautifulboys
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:09 pm 
Post subject:
Oliver was off formula milk from 1 year and now drinks whole milk

he is now nearly 14 months and i have cut out his morning bottle and he has a beaker full of cows milk in the morning. he then has milk on his porridge at 8am. He has cheese as a snack, at least 1 fromage frais a day and a 8oz bottle at night.

i wouldnt worry to much about the exact amount. they are all different xx

DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:59 am 
Post subject:
hey RW, Isaac is like lm's baby above - all he has now is milk in his ready brek, usually a yoghurt or some cheese in the day (sometimes cauliflower cheese for lunch which tops up the milk lol). His only actual milk in a day is his supper bottle - usually 7-10ozs depending on how much he decides on.

HV told me that was fine, and he seems well on it - he's so into his 'real' food that milk has taken a bit of a back seat recently!

Anna
xx
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:44 pm 
Post subject: how much milk to give at one?
hello everyone... this is my first time doing one of these things but i've read so many of them... i just want to say to all the mums who breast fed well done it's such hard work, and you all deserve an award. I breast fed for 5 and half months and my baby wasn't gaining much weight which didn't help my confidence... and now with any food or milk feed i worry a little if i'm doing it right... so to cut a story short. My lil girl is now 1yr and a week... and she has had three formula bottles of 7 oz but as of last night we have cut out the second bottle after her lunch of solid food/and fruit for dessert. but i don't know how to introduce the whole milk stage to her diet we've tried adding whole milk to her now 4 oz formula and 5 oz whole milk morning and bedtime bottle. (though i miss the second bottle)

i guess i just wanna know what's best really? help!!!

m x
RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:57 pm 
Post subject:
You can just go straight to whole milk without the need to mix if you would like but otherwise stick with what you are doing and gradually move towards a 9oz of whole milk, I too did what you have done and cut out the afternoon bottle and made the other two bigger. Make sure you offer water throughout the day from a beaker, you may find her especially thirsty in the afternoon now Smile

You can also put whole milk in cereal/cooking.

hope that helps

PS congratulations on the breastfeeding - it is THE hardest thing!
cutesybaby
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:32 am 
Post subject:
thanks, for the vote of confidence. And i have, found she gets very thirsty in the afternoon she will drink her whole sippy cup of water. I give her french toast or cereal after her bottle in the morning then she'll have a little nap... I'm sure i could just give her whole milk fully without mixing it but i've read so much things saying formula milk has nutrients they still need that whole milk doesn't. x
xtine1985BScHons
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:47 am 
Post subject:
Just thought I'd recommend goat's milk to you RWneedssleep!
It worked brilliantly for us and it's easier for their little tummies to digest!
xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular