weight gained during pregnancy

teju
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:13 am 
Post subject: weight gained during pregnancy
Hi,

I am 21 weeks old preganant. in the first month i was 67 kg and by 20 weeks i am 79 kg. is it ok to gain so much weight or should i try controlling it?

if i have to control how should i do it?

Regs
teju
Rayn
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:47 am 
Post subject:
Hi Teju,

I'm almost 20 weeks and have put about a stone on- I was looking through this website to see if that was about right and I found the following info (longwinded but covers everything!):

[b]Weight gain during pregnancy is not only inevitable, it's also necessary. While the phrase 'eating for two' shouldn't be taken literally (you only need approximately 200 extra calories a day), while you are pregnant you are the soul provider of the vitamins, minerals and nutrients your baby needs to grow. Throughout the duration of your pregnancy your body naturally puts the needs of your baby before its own. For this reason, it is essential that you eat a nutritious, well balanced diet not only to ensure that your baby develops healthily, but also to ensure that your body is nourished enough to carry, deliver and care for a new baby.

There was a time when a lot of emphasis was placed on maternal weight gain during pregnancy. This was mainly because midwives used this as an indication of baby's growth and development. However, since the introduction of more sophisticated and accurate measures such as ultrasound, this practice has tailed off. Now, while an eye is kept on weight increase, it is no longer carefully monitored, unless a specific health problem dictates otherwise.

When you attend your first antenatal appointment, the midwife is likely to measure your height and weight and use this to calculate your BMI (body mass index). This figure will help the midwife to establish whether your pre-pregnancy weight was healthy for your size and enable her to make recommendations relating to your ideal weight gain over the course of your pregnancy.

Recommended weight gain

There are four major BMI categories in which you are likely to fall:

Underweight - BMI less than 18.5 - If you are classed as being underweight your health care provider is likely to recommend that you gain between 28 and 40lbs during your pregnancy. Even if you have been particularly conscious about your figure prior to pregnancy it is important to put this weight on as it will help your baby to grow healthily and provide you with the energy stores you need to delivery and feed a new baby. Research has suggested that women who do not follow a healthy pregnancy diet and fail to put on sufficient weight are more likely to deliver smaller babies who require more medical attention. If you are finding it difficult to put on weight then you should discuss this with your health care provider.

Normal - BMI 18.5 - 25 - If your pre (or early) pregnancy weight is classed as 'normal' this means that your weight is in the ideal range for your height and you should aim to gain between 25 and 35lbs during the course of your pregnancy. You should aim to gain approximately 5lbs in the first trimester and then about 1lb per week for the rest of your pregnancy. It is important to aim for a steady weight increase as this will ensure your baby receives the spread of nutrients he or she needs. If you notice any sudden increases or decreases in your weight then you should notify your health care provider as this could be a sign of complications. Many women find it helpful to keep a weight diary throughout their pregnancy so that they can monitor both their own and their baby's progress. Weigh yourself on the same day each week - mornings tend to be best - and remember to account for small fluctuations due to water retention.

Overweight - BMI 25 - 30 - If you are classed as being overweight you will need to put on less weight during pregnancy as you are already likely to have sufficient energy stores to help ensure your baby has all the nutrients needed. For this reason you are likely to gain between 15 and 25lbs during pregnancy. If you were trying to lose weight before you fell pregnant any strict diets should be abandoned, pregnancy is not the time for calorie counting. Instead you should focus on a healthy diet and plenty of gentle exercise to help control weight gain - talk to your doctor before starting any exercise program.

Obese - BMI 30+ - If you are classed as obese with a BMI of 30 or more you should expect to gain less than 15lbs during pregnancy as you already have the maternal energy reserves to help your baby develop. If you had a poor diet before you became pregnant you should focus on eating healthily and taking part in gentle exercise such as walking or yoga. This will also help reduce the risk of developing gestational diabetes, high blood pressure or complications with delivery. If you are concerned about your weight or your diet your doctor will be able to advise you.

The above advice only applies to those carrying single babies, for those expecting twins or multiples you should expect to put on more weight simply because you have double the baby to nourish and carry.

While you should aim to maintain a healthy weight gain for your size throughout pregnancy, your focus should be on what you eat rather than how much. Current recommendations suggest that you only need between 200 - 300 extra calories a day which roughly equates to a banana and a pot of yogurt. While pregnancy may seem the perfect time to 'let yourself go' and make the most of eating whatever you fancy, do remember that it is much better for your baby if you stick to a balanced meal plan based on 3 nutritious meals and regular healthy snacks. This will also help to keep your blood sugar levels steady, giving you more energy too.

You should ensure that you eat plenty of varied fruit and vegetables, lean protein and wholegrain carbohydrates and drink plenty of water. Remember it is ok to treat yourself too - but just try and have 1 donut rather than the whole box - your thighs will thank you for it once your baby arrives!
[/b]
ccrice
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:56 am 
Post subject: weight gain
This is my third pregnacy I am 31 and really depressed and also worried about to much weight gain as I am only 5ft tall(or small). I am 20 weeks also and started at 140lbs and have gained 14lbs already, was already overweight to begin with!! Have put on the 14lbs in the last 7 weeks which is even more worrying!!
Rayn
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:22 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Ccrice,

Sorry to hear you're depressed about your weight- just think about the beautiful little baby you're making! I have to say though I haven't enjoyed clothes shopping since getting pregnant but I just keep thinking about the end result. We can lose the weight afterwards can't we? Maybe you should speak to your midwife to see if you're eating a healthy balanced diet. I'm trying to eat a bit of everything and not give in too much to my chocolate cravings but I've still put a stone on. What kind of cravings are you having, if any?

Rayn
ccrice
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:35 pm 
Post subject: weight gain
Hi Rayn

Thanks for your reply! Feeling wonderful today as when I was in town shopping today a stranger noticed I was pregnant while standing in a large qeue and let me go ahead of them which was nice.......dont feel like I am just looking obese! Dont get me wrong cant wait till this baby comes but have always had trouble losing weight so dreading feeling guilty about hating the way I will look after the birth, as I will have this wonderful gift at the end and should count myself very lucky!!! Ye shopping for clothing is terrible but i have found that next is great and its prices are ok 20 for maternity jeans cant beat that!

I have been craving cheese and chocolate! What date r u due is this your first? Good luck to you!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular