Type 1 Diabetes and children

jenshayne
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:48 pm 
Post subject: Type 1 Diabetes and children
My daugher Madisyn, who is now 7, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes(insulin dependant) at the age of 2. It was heart breaking to watch my little girl go from a plump happy sweet toddler, into a skinny, poked and prodded scared wee one. As a parent I felt helpless and guilty and absolutely terrified at the time of diagnosis. Five years later, she is thriving active young lady who knows no fear. Since diabetes is on the rise, I thought I'd put out this post to help other parents who are/have gone through this with their kids. Compare notes..vent or just learn about the disease. All comments are welcome.

Weasleywannabe
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:50 pm 
Post subject:
Hello,
I just wanted to thank you for your post. My little bean has a one in four chance of developing type one diabetes during childhood and i'm absolutley terrified. Would you suggest trying to get some wee dip sticks so I can keep checking on my baby if they become lethargic or thirsty? I do not want to BM a tiny baby and I think my GP may get fed up with me if I'm always going in because I'm worried that each little thing means Beany has diabetic.

I am really glad that your little girl is doing so well. she sounds like a little star.
Thank you
xxxx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular