nearly 8 weeks old and sleeping less!

larrydan
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:02 pm 
Post subject: nearly 8 weeks old and sleeping less!
Our baby is practically holding mummy hostage, she moves, he cries really hysterically, sometimes it's so bad she can't even go to toilet without him bawling his pretty head off! We have been very careful not to pick him up too much and are very surprised that this is happening, Please help us as this is our first child - he's a boy. Thanks Folks

P.S. When he was still under a month old he slept too much! now it's the opposite, now he doesn't like sleeping during the day, but around 6pm he will fall asleep and more often than not likely carry on till the next morning.
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:22 pm 
Post subject:
Hi larrydan, my baby is 8 weeks old, and can be very clingy sometimes too. Have you tried putting him in his cot with a cot mobile turned on to distract him? I also put my little girl in her bouncy chair with the vibrate setting on, and potter around doing the hoovering, washing etc, but pop my head in the room every few minutes and say 'hello sweetheart mummys here', so she knows im there, but can also play independtly. Have you also tried laying him on a baby gym, and leaving him to play on his own or does he cry when you do this??
Holmesy
Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:53 pm 
Post subject:
At the risk of sounding silly Embarassed I used to put my little girl down with one of my worn nighties either under or beside her as the smell seemed to comfort her, this is a tip I got off my health visitor and it really worked for me, apparently it tricks baby into thinking that Mammy is nearby, hope this helps x Smile
Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:35 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks to both Holmesy and PetraLou for taking time out to reply to my post, We've tried everything that PetraLou does to no avail, I came home this evening to find my wife very exhausted, and just as I said in my post it was just after 6pm when I walked into the lounge and there was Imoesi sleeping peacefully, it's now 8:32pm and he's been asleep all that time, I've had my dinner and mummy has gone out to get the shopping(she had to so she could get out of the house) and is just making her dinner now. Holmesy's suggestion about laying one of mummy's item of clothing next to him is an interesting one which I will definitely be suggesting to my wife that we should try. I will keep you posted. Thanks once again!!!
larrydan
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:26 am 
Post subject:
I have to say we've tried placing mummy's old nightgown next to him on the bouncer and he still cries a lot. He seems to want to be picked up because when we do, he stops and as soon as he's put back on the bouncer he starts crying almost immediately.
claire78
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:50 pm 
Post subject: baby sleeping
I'm a new mom to a now 8 month old. The best advice I can give which others gave me is that you can't spoil them. At least not that early. My little girl would take her naps on me...she hated her crib during the day. But it all changes so quickly, now she won't sleep on me unless she's completely exhausted. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is who cares if he won't sleep in his bed. Let him lay on you...it's the best and it ends so quickly.
I understand that you have stuff to do like laundry and cleaning and such but that can wait...if he won't let you put him down for even a moment...try a sling, it's very helpful for freeing your hands and it keeps him close to you, which is what he wants.
Hope my advice helps.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular