7 day year ol baby having fever

sujit
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:32 am 
Post subject: 7 day year ol baby having fever
Hi.
We have a new born baby boy, born on 16th may 08. his birth weight was 2.7 kgs and current weight is 2.5 kgs

the baby was on breast milk for the first week, and after the 5th day has been developing fever. the baby is having brown stools and is urinating a pale yellow color.

on 24th may again he has fever and is not drinking milk again.
the symtoms observed are
- sleeps for more than 4 hrs in the day
- is very quiet and sleeps when taken up for breast feeding
- he sleeps while breast feeding, we have started feeding him 40 ml of expressed milk as a supplement to the amount of milk he breast feeds
am a worried father
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:46 pm 
Post subject:
hi there dad and welcome. you have a right to be worried and i would seek medical adivice asap. i dont mean call an ambulance unless babe is very lathagic (spelling?) then do so!! but i would see your doc at the first chance. saying that if you do think babe has a fever of 38 deg or more take him to hospital for safety. They can not control their body temp and will need assistance. Please let us know how you get on!!
Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:50 am 
Post subject: what does increase in ecoli count mean and whats the efect/s
hi all

i am the proud and worried father of a 8 day new born boy,

the baby was fine for the first 4 days and then started having fever -

we have got him admitted to a hospital, and was informed that he had a urinary infection with an increased ecoli count.!!

i am wanting to know what that means and what are the side effects of the same, is it any form of meningitis, thats what i read on the related webpages

pls respond and advise
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:07 am 
Post subject:
Im so pleased you decided to take your son to hospital, good choice. In my first reply to you this morning (my time) I really wanted to tell you to get him to hospital but was afraid I would panic you. Your discription of his urine was the thing that got my attention.
An infection like that isnt common in babies but saying that my friends son got the same thing only a week ago. Your son was quite small when born so his wee body will be having a slightly harder time coping with things.
Ecoli is a form of bacteria which is found in the stomach, with an increased level he will be feeling a little on the sick side. His sleeping alot was his bodies way of trying to beat the infection. It may take a couple of days for him to feel better.
I hope that explains a little. You must be feeling lost having your wee man in hospital so soon after having him home. Keep in touch and let us know how he is going. Very Happy

Jump to:  

Community

Popular