FirstTimePregnant
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:27 pm 
Post subject: Nervous about telling work
Hi everyone

I wondered if you could help...

I've just found out I'm pregnant (10 weeks to be exact) and it's a bit of a shock, however it's also a really good suprise!

We have now told both my parterners family and my family, plus a few friends. Although I haven't yet told work (my partner works for the same company as me). I'm really nervous about telling my boss. He's a really nice guy and I'm sure he'll be ok about it but for some reason I just feel really guilty. Probably because it wasn't planned.

I work in HR (there is just myself and my boss) so we are a very small team. Therefore I've worked on my plan for pregnancy and when the baby is born (next March). We are currently looking to move house (we live in a teeny tiny apartment) so lots of our money will be spent on that, plus trying to pay off the last of our outstanding debts / credit cards. I'd like to just take the 6 weeks maternity leave (these are paid at 90%) so hopefully my boss will be ok with this as it isn't too much time out of the office...?

For some reason I really don't want them to get a person in to cover for me while I'm away, I'd prefer to just work from home for a few of the 6 weeks. Perhaps I'm nervous incase they get a replacement and they perform better than me!!

I'm think I'm just looking for some tips / advice / help about how to tell my manager and some opinions on whether or not 6 weeks seems reasonable? I do actually really like my job so would prefer to get back as soon as possible (as long as everything goes ok).

FYI: We already have family / care setup for when the baby is born and I return to work.

Help! I think I need a 'pep talk' before speaking to my boss!!

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Marie x
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:49 am 
Post subject:
Hi Marie

even small businesses are beholden to the laws that protect your job during your maternity leave - so you really shouldn't worry about a cover person. From what you say, it sounds to me as though you are being hugely thoughtful and accomodating towards your employer - and I'm sure your boss will recognise this!

Try not to offer too much of yourself straight off, just because you feel bad - you have nothing at all to feel guilty about! My advice would be to tell him that you are pregnant and see what his initial reaction is. Don't commit yourself to exact spells of time off until you need to. My senior manager was thrilled for me personally when i told her - then you could see the panic cross her face as she realised I'd be off work for some time (I'm taking 6 months) - in general I'm sure you'll find your boss is supportive.

rather than working from home when you will be tired, emotional and possibly breastfeeding every couple of hours, try setting up the possibility of 'keeping in touch' days (or half days) where you can be available on email and telephone for any questions - and your office will have to be aware of your situation when contacting you.

If you are put in any kind of difficult situation, or placed under pressure unfairly, check out the government websites on maternity leave laws. It's really useful stuff.

Good Luck!
Tilley
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:56 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Marie,

Congratulations - what a lovely surprise for you Smile

How did you get on? Did you tell your boss yet?

I completely agree with DevonMum - you shouldn't commit yourself to too much right now as you never know how you'll feel once your baby arrives.

I'm sure your boss will be really understanding but good luck anyway.

x
Pigglet
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:04 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there

Seems your in a very similar position to me - Head of HR and just found out I am expecting which was not planned but a very nice surprise.

Having just completed my 3 year strategy, telling my CEO that I am likely to be off work for 6 months is not going to go down well.

As a HR person I am sure you are well aware of your rights and that they cant replace you while you are on Mat Leave. I'm not sure what kind of work you do in HR so difficult to talk about cover for your absence.

As a HR boss myself, as long as I have sufficient notice then I would not envisage any difficulties in covering the work for a short period.

Hope this is helpful but the law is on your side!!!

Heidi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular