Almost through first cycle of IVF

Lizziej
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:12 pm 
Post subject: Almost through first cycle of IVF
Hi everyone,

I am almost through my first cycle and hopefully last of IVF. I thought I would post my experience as I know after my consultation with the doctor I wanted to hear from anyone who had gone through the process.

The first six weeks the doctor put me on birth control pills to regulate my cycle and to gain control of my cycle. HOnestly- so far the birth control pills were the worst part of the process- I was moody and short with people.

On March 5th I started Lupron shots- one in my belly every morning. They didn't hurt, were easy to give myself.

On March 9 I stopped birth control and my emotions were more in check.

On March 17th I began fertility drugs and stopped Lupron. I was on Fallistim and Menupur injections- again, while I was giving three injections- they were quick, painless and didn't really affect my mood- I did feel bloated like AF was about to arrive. Dr. said it was the overies swelling.

From March 17 until 27 I went to the doctors 5 times from blood work and internal scan. Appoints took about 20 minutes. The scan was not bad- as my overies swell it did become a bit uncomfortable but did not hurt. The doctor counted my eggs and measured them each visit.

When the doctor thought my eggs were ready I used a trigger shot- Ovidrel- to stimulate the hormones that cause you to release an egg. I had two shots to take- both really easy in the belly and painless.

My egg retrieval was yesterday- I'm gassy but not in any pain. Last night my DH began progesterone shots into the muscle. Again, the nurse taught him how to do it- I didn't feel the needle and the injection did not hurt. I continue those shots to my first trimester.

The doctor retrieved 22 eggs- I find out Monday how many of them were mature and how many successfully fertilized.

ON Tuesday or Thursday they go back inside me to implant. My doctor is doing ICIS- which is when they inject the egg with the sperm to make sure each egg does get fertilized and before putting back in will do assisted hatching to help the egg implant onto the uterus wall.

In honest- I was freaked out about all the shots and how it would change my moods- I teach and I did not want to have my hormones yelling at my students or saying things that were harsh. I was also petrified of all the hyperdermic needles they sent me. I was sure there was no way I would be able to inject myself-

It was all alot of mind over matter. I did all the injections- except the progesterone and none of them made me crazy or hurt to much.

If you have any questions I would be happy to share my experience.

Lizzie

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/21d047
JulieWoo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:03 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Lizzie, well done you - sounds like an amazing journey. I sincerely hope everything works out for you, and you get your bfp. Hopefully you will have some spare embies to freeze for another go.

love Julie xxxxxxxxx

Our baby Eleanor lost 6 Apr 10
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:35 pm 
Post subject:
Hello, thank you for that information it was very interesting.
Now your in your 2ww are you still at work or do you need to rest totally?
Good luck, I really hope it goes well for you.
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:02 am 
Post subject:
Hi Lizziej

what a good post, thank you for sharing your story. It was really interesting as I am starting my first cycle of IVF in April - period due 8th so we will start then.

22 eggs is fantastic - Wishing you really good luck for the next bit of your journey. Really hope you get your BFP.

Terina x
AD2
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:11 pm 
Post subject:
Good luck lizzie i really hope it works out for you x
Good luck to you aswell terina wishing you loads of luck x
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:01 am 
Post subject:
AD2,

Hi Hun how are you?

Thanks for good luck wishes I will keep you posted.

xx
AD2
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:09 am 
Post subject:
Im fine thanks i have my down days but i just have to try and snap myself out of them im just still waiting on the doner list i do wish they would hurry up and fined me someone ha x
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
Well I am now on 48 hours bed rest- just had the embryo transfer.

Fertility report is:

22 eggs retrieved
20 mature
10 fertilized
(4 fertilized abnormally- 6 viable- 3 very low cell divsion by day three)
3 viable- an 8 cell embryoa 6 cell embryo and a 5 cell embryo, 3 other embryos were 1 or 2 cell divsion.

Because of my age- Doctor placed all 6 back in.

In the two week wait- and the bed is already driving me crazy. and it hasn't even been an hour.

Lizzie

mimilo
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:01 pm 
Post subject:
hi, just wanted to say best of luck to you, hope this is it for you!
and it was a really great post, fantastic to read. i might have to start ivf later in the year so i loved reading this. let us know how you get on! all the best xx
TTC #1 since Nov 07
Surgery to remove endo Feb 09
Starting ICSI Aug 09
Lizziej
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:21 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks mmilio,

I really know how much I just wanted to know about how others were dealing with IVF, what the abrievations were- what it was like. I felt so alone. The IVF section of ASK baby is not overly active like the TTC section/board, Fertility friend has some boards but honestly- I feel like people post messages in reply without really hearing what a person hs said- Their responses are short and general and often only really provide a artifical feeling that someone else cares. I personally like ASK Baby much better- everyone I have posted with or to or who has responded to a post seems to really care.

As a result I wanted to add some information on ASK Baby about IVF procedures.

What I found out today-

Is that once the eggs are fertilized by day three they should have divided into 7 to 10 cells. I have only one that has divided into 8 cells- one at 6 cells, one at 5 cells- the others 1 to 2 cells- so my quality control is off- I have great quanty but low quality.,

Lizzie

fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:06 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you for the updates. Try and relax even tho it must be so hard. I really hope at least one takes for you. With 6 there must be a good chance? Where are you from? I might be wrong but I think in England they will only put back a maximum of 2! You might end up with a whole family!!

Good luck and keep the updates coming.
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:19 pm 
Post subject:
baby dust and lots of luck Lizzie

fingers crossed for you

xxxx
Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:35 am 
Post subject:
Lizzie, how are you now? Any symptoms yet? It must be a nerve wracking time for you, I can't really even imagine how it must feel as I get impatient simply in the normal 2WW.
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:06 pm 
Post subject:
Hi everyone,

Well we are down to the last few days of the two week wait before blood tests at the doctors office.

Frist to answer some questions- I am actually in US, right outside NYC. 6 embryos was a lot of my doctor- he normal procedure is 3 max- but due to my age and the egg quality he wanted to give me the best chance possible.

I have been doing well. On Monday my first sign was that I was a bit dizzy and light headed for no apparent reason.

On Wednesday- I sat up from a chair and felt an awful tear sensation on the inside to the right and below my belly button. I seem fine- but can not help but wonder if one of my embryos detached from the uterus wall.

My boobs have been sore and huge since I started progeserone- but yesterday they were not- a bit scarey.

I just took a shower today and was light headed, extremely hot and feeling a bit sick. I'm hoping that is positive.

Emotionally I go back and forth from feeling really positive to preparing for dissappointment.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and holiday.

Lizzie

fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:46 pm 
Post subject:
I've been waiting for your next update. I really hope the next few days go quickly for you and you get your BFP. I've got everything crossed for you. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular