Homesick

Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:48 am 
Post subject: Homesick
Hi guys, have an unusual request!! A girlfriend I met through baby type things is feeling really homesick for the UK. She is heading your way again in August for holiday and she is afraid she wont want to come back to NZ. Was wondering if you left the UK what would you miss the most? What would you like have or see to make you feel at home in another county? No matter how small. I would love your idea's. I dont like seeing her so unhappy. Sad
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:57 am 
Post subject: xx
id miss the people lol and i wud also miss the fairness i think this contry is really fair if ya no wat i mean lol x
somoslagente
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:06 pm 
Post subject:
hi - i lived in spain for several years

there is sooo much i miss when i am away some days

usually i get it worse when i am already down

silly things like certain foods, irn bru (fizzy drink in scotland), the television and people speaking english. cadbury´s chocolate and my dog blue boy.

its also other wee things that get to me like the culture and peoples attitudes and ways of thinking.

this varies day to day when you are away from home - so theres no one exact thing your friend is probably missing.

give her a big hug from me - i know how she feels to be homesick.
my boyf is spanish and so doesn´t really understand when i am feeling down.

what usually cheers me up is a good cuppa tea with fresh milk

but kettles aren´t commonplace in spain and you either have to heat the water in the micro or in a pot. tetley tea bags are expensive and most milk is sold UHT - that can have me in tears LOL

Holmesy
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:24 pm 
Post subject:
Huntermac, I don't have any suggestions I'm sorry, I just wanted to say I think you are a darling for caring so much about your mate. By the way your little man is gorgeous!! x
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:49 pm 
Post subject:
Well a good cuppa with fresh milk I can do and the Cadbury's choc is always on hand!! I think because she lives out in the country with no neighbours too that its quite loney. It only 20min to our town but that can seem soooo far some days. Wish there was something I could do for her. Thanks for your comment too Holmesy!!!
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:41 pm 
Post subject:
hey huntermac,

I think it depends where your from in the UK, the regional things are probably what you'd miss most, like for my mum and dad, they miss Henderson's Relish, Mylillamb will possibly know what I'm talking about but anyone out side Sheffield South Yorkshire won't have a clue! also things like real yorkshire pudding, not them rubbish aunt bessys wanabe's lol!

xx

mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:44 pm 
Post subject: xx
lol..............yep real yorkshire pubs mmmmmm (my mum is so [*@!#%*] at making them lol but my step mums are ace) sssshhhhh lol.................

id miss doncaste.....i moved to halifax west yorkshire and got so home sick lol.........
somoslagente
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:05 pm 
Post subject:
yep i lived in aberdeen and london

so even though was in the UK - there were things from home i couldnt get

also being able to speak "normally" and not have to repeat myself ALL the time.

maybe you should invite your friend out and do stuff together Hunter.

might just be that she is lonely and thinking that if she was back in the UK she´d have more company. sometimes think that when i am in spain - yet when i am at home i can be home alone for several days just the same

Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:15 am 
Post subject:
I'm actually not from the UK. I'm from the States and have lived here for about 2 1/2 years. I am feeling REEEALLY homesick right now for America, so I know how your friend feels.

That being said, if I moved back, I would miss a lot of things about the UK. The biggest and best is FREE HEALTHCARE! I get to have this baby for free, whereas it would cost thousands just to give birth in the US.

Other things I'd miss is the cool weather, the ease at which to travel without a car, good pubs, a decent cuppa tea, good chocolate and open minded people.
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:33 am 
Post subject:
Dev wrote:

Other things I'd miss is the cool weather, the ease at which to travel without a car, good pubs, a decent cuppa tea, good chocolate and open minded people.

lol Dev, you sound like a true brit now Cool

Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:34 am 
Post subject:
Don't tell my husband that! He'd never let me live it down! Laughing
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:27 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ya Dev, I have a m8 from Panhandle and some days he really misses the States. He was suprised how spacious NZ is and I think he sometimes misses the hustle and bustle!! He has been over here for a good 5yr now but I dont think you ever move away from home. One thing he loved was the 100+ flavours of ice cream LOL, we only have about 15, sad a Sad
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:56 pm 
Post subject:
Chip shop chips......I would definitely miss them xxxxx
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:32 am 
Post subject:
Huntermac wrote:
Hi ya Dev, I have a m8 from Panhandle and some days he really misses the States. He was suprised how spacious NZ is and I think he sometimes misses the hustle and bustle!! He has been over here for a good 5yr now but I dont think you ever move away from home. One thing he loved was the 100+ flavours of ice cream LOL, we only have about 15, sad a Sad

Where is Panhandle, can I ask?
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:58 am 
Post subject:
Texas, it is mostly farming area. He then moved to Nashville, just down from a major drug dealing gang street LOL he couldnt leave the apartment after dark Laughing
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular