How to tell parents...

CorrieLea
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:18 am 
Post subject: How to tell parents...
I only noticed this forum tday..I wondered how did every1 break the news to their families.

I still have to do this and i am very scared of how my grandparents will react (thats who i live with)

Im 18 and me and my oh are really excited but we dont know how to break the news Sad

Any ideas?

Corrie
Xx

helenm73
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:53 pm 
Post subject:
hi there,
i had my 1st son when i was 18..
i just couldnt bring myself 2 tell my parents..i dont know why but i just couldnt..
i was visiting them with the intentions of telling them but i was worried how they would react..in the end i "accidently" left my confirmation results from the docs on their coffee table..felt silly afterwards though..xx
ErinsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:28 pm 
Post subject:
i fell pregnant when i was 16. i only live with my mom, so i guess it was easier for me because i only had one person to tell. but i just told her straight.initailly she was very disappointed but once she got used to the idea, she became excited and now she loves my little girl and even says she's glad i had her so early because she can appreciate her more (my mom is 50!). i think just go for it, tell them straight. they might be a bit upset at first but then they'll be excited about being great grandparents x
Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:28 pm 
Post subject:
Im 22 and 15 weeks pregnant. I was at uni when I fell pregnant. I wanted to tell my parents in person and also wanted toleave it for a while because they were under enoughstress because my Uncle who we were all close with was really ill with lung cancer (he died 3 weeks ago).

However, I got really ill with Hyperemesis when I was 7 weeks and had to go in to hospital so texted my mum instead, I didnt wantto talk to either her or my dad after, but she kept ringing, I kept crying on the phone because I felt like Id let them down. Im really close to both my parents and didnt want them to be disappointed with me. They said not to worry and that they supported me whatever decision I made and they just wished id told them sooner and wished they were there to look after me and now they are really happy and excited.
Mummy2Teagan
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:59 pm 
Post subject:
i was in slightly a different situation. I told my parents me and my OH were trying. Ive got my own place and i was 19 when i fell pregnant. Me and my OH went through a really rough patch so we decided to stop trying and i was going to go back on the pill after my period came but it never did. I was still worried about telling my parents but they knew there was a possibility i could be. I never kept my parents in the dark about wanting a baby or trying for a baby. My dad was worried at first but because me and OH are strong again they cant wait to be grandparents. dad still thinks he's too young though lol xx

Sami8701
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:26 pm 
Post subject:
i picked perfect timing to tell my mum... she had waived ta ta at the airport to my older brother for a year - he's gone to live in Japan for 12 months - and i told her that evening! she was so upset that my bro had gone then i go and tell her im pregnant!!

But i was upfront and straight with them... i told them few hours after i found out & although both were mega shocked, they now are extremely excited about becoming granparents Smile

My mum took it the hardest.... im 21 so she wanted me to 'live my life' and have kids when i was more settled with Craig, but nothing was stopping me, me and Craig wanted to have a baby & if id have got rid of her i wud never have forgiven myself.

It was extremly hard with the pressure at first from mum as she nagged me 24/7 questioning if i was doing the right thing... but i realise now she was only shocked.

She kisses my belly and gives it a pat on a regular basis now Laughing

brenzo
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:32 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Corrie Lea, dont have first hand experience in this myself but I would just like to say that a baby is so precious and even if they get a bit cross now their hearts will melt when the meet their wee grandchild..dont stress about it just get it over and done with, best in the long run as worrying about telling them wont be good for you. Good Luck..
MichelleHx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:55 pm 
Post subject:
I had been ill so went to the dr, and saw my mum after the appointment and when she asked what dr had said i just said "i'm pregnant". She said a few swear words, went to the loo, then came back and gave me a big hug. Said she was dissapointed i was young&pregnant but was really happy. Now she's really excited about it.

The other person i was worried about telling was my aunty cause we're quite close, so we gave her a card for her birthday and signed it "matt, michelle &baby bump" cause i knew i would never get the words out around her.

With other family i just phoned them up.

Hope it goes well for you. I'm sure they'll be excited once they get over the shock. xx

321mummy2b
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:34 pm 
Post subject:
i would just say .. i need to tell you something i missed my period and at first i thought it was just nothin (makes it sound better somehow).. then i went to the doctors (some reason the like it if the doctor told u rather than have a home test).. and ive just rang up n they said the test came up positive (sounds better than saying and im pregnant) lol thats what i did Smile x

BABY JAYDEN CHRISTOPHER ADDISON
stephanietoni
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:32 am 
Post subject:
i would just come out with it, be straight with them.. they'll come round to it eventually

sleepymum
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:07 am 
Post subject:
With my 1st, I wanted time to get my head around it myself. I was at the docs waiting for my 1st appt when my mum walked in!!She had an asthma clinic appt and I had no idea. When she saw me I just dragged her outside and told her. I didnt want to tell anyone else until I had my 1st scan. I couldnt find the words to tell my dad so I gave him my scan pic lol. I know I was a chicken!

My DS is now nearly 3 and I am Preg with my 2nd. Not told anyone yet, we want to wait for my scan so I might do the scan pic trick again Smile

babykate5555
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:38 pm 
Post subject:
well for me, my mum n me are realy close and she knew my period was due and everyday she had kept asking has your period not came yet...and i was so scared because i knew i was pregnant then eventualy a few days later she asked me should she be worried and i broke down crying.well it went down awful with my mum at first, my dad took it brilliantly, but realy in the space of 2 weeks they both were great and now they cant wait to be grandparents...but yea its not hte funnest thing in the world telling them i wish i had been able to do it in a letter but my mum got their first!good luck with telling your parents
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:39 pm 
Post subject:
just be straight with them hunni, you'll be suprised.
even if they don't take it too well they will only be mad for a little while. then comes the excitement of having their very own grandchild! xx

jcoogan
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:06 am 
Post subject: x
I just told my parents yesterday and honestly had myself completly worked up over nothing, my mummy also knows when my periods due and things as its usually pretty bad.. She asked me had my period came and I just started crying.. We hugged and cried and hugged and drank tea. She was very shocked.. When we told my daddy lets just say if it was on tv it would have been bleeped out lol hes fine now though, its amazing the feeling you get when u tell them, a big weight off your shoulders and your mind xx
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:20 pm 
Post subject:
hun, I was terrified when I fell pg with Molly. I didnt tell my mum 4 ages. especially as she was pg herself at the time with my little bro. but she was amazing when I told her. she was 15 when she had me, so me falling pregnant at 15 she couldnt really say much.

I dunno if anyone remembers this story I told everyone though:
http://www.askbaby.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2744&highlight=
just glad my mum was ok, unlike poor Faye Sad xx
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular