holiday pay & maternity leave

wriggler2008
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:40 pm 
Post subject: holiday pay & maternity leave
hi,

just wondering if anybody can shed any light on this. i leave for maternity leave mid july, which means after 39 weeks paid maternity leave i will be going back in april 09. the thing is the holidays at the company i work at the holidays run from april to march not jan to dec... the thing i was wondering is i know you can accrue holiday whilst on maternity leave and spend it once you get back however what happens when all you accrue you cant claim back ? becuase i go back in april that will be a whole new set of holidays meaning i will only have used 2.5 holidays for the entire year, but i read in my contract that holiday accrued whilst on maternity leave can only be taken when you get back or paid out if you quit at the end of it, but it looks to me like i wont get anything at all for holidays? its a bit rubbish if thats the case?

is this happening to anyone else? or just me Sad
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:43 pm 
Post subject:
wriggler i am in the same position. the hols at my work run april to april so i nhave a whole year of accrual. my company are paying out the whole lot at the end of march so i get in my april pay!! woo hoo! i would check with your boss and i'm sure it will be something similar xxxx
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:33 am 
Post subject:
My hols run april 2 april and whilst your on maternity leave you are intitled to the same benefits so you shud i do but some companys are different i would ask for a maternity policy! Thats the first thing i did when i found out i was pregnant Laughing
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:47 am 
Post subject:
yer my holidays run from april to april too.

i know what u mean obviously when you will return you will lose your holidays. you will have to speak to your work see fi you can use them up in the april and go back later they may be understanding and let you or if not they may pay you for the holidays u never used. all companys are different.

Debz354
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:19 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

My hols run July to July and we are only allowed to carry 3 days over so am in the same boat. Instead of losing the rest Ive decided to take 2 days leave a week from 27 weeks (therefore working part time really) the other option (if you can) would be to take all your leave just before you start your maternity - that extends your time off then too!

Just a couple of ideas for you!

Debz
x
DebLG
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:31 pm 
Post subject: Maternity Leave and Holiday
Dear All

I run the legal department for my company, when it comes to Maternity leave a woman is still entitled to her rights as an employee, including holidays, bonus payments and bank holidays.

Your employer should be adding bank holidays that take place during your maternity leave to your holiday allocation. Your holiday should accrue as normal as noted in your employment contract.

The working family website states "Holiday accrues as normal under the contract during the 26 weeks of ordinary maternity leave. During additional maternity leave the employee will accrue holiday under the Working Time Regulations. This entitles all employees to 24 days holiday per year."

Also, don't forget that the amount of holidays employers must give employees increases in April 2009.

Most woman in our company take the holiday before the maternity leave or after to extend the leave.

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards
Debs
wriggler2008
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:08 pm 
Post subject:
just thought i would update you all on the situation. spoke to the lady that deals with hr at my place and she said that i get to take all my accrued holidays when i get back even though its a new financial year and new set of holidays, so i have an extra 3 weeks added to the end of my maternity leave meaning i can go back in may and have extra time with my little man!!!!!

all good, thanx for all the advice!
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:13 pm 
Post subject:
thats great. least ur not gonna miss out on ur holidays.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular