Is my 2 year old ready for potty training?

Sakura
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:46 am 
Post subject: Is my 2 year old ready for potty training?
my son is 26 months and have been trying to potty train for a little while but i dont seem to be getting any results.

he started to tell us when he had already done a poo, which is showing he's aware of it and that its uncomfortable but then he'll not tell us for the next few days, then he'll start saying again etc.

he's absolutely fine with sitting on the potty and not scared of it but he seems to think its a toy and would rather play with it and stand in it! we've not had any deposits in the potty other than 2 farts on different occassions...

does anyone think he's still not quite ready or should we just persevere? also how often should i be trying to get him to sit on the potty in a day as i dont want to force him and put him off using it. or should he already be potty trained at 2? he poos and wees at different times as well so i find it hard to judge and pre-empt when hes going to do one! please help! x
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:43 am 
Post subject:
all children are different so maybe your child is not ready yet. but he is showing signs that he is aware of his bowel movements which may sugest he is ready and you just need to persevere. my daughter is almost 19 months old and she is sitting on potty but hasnt done anything yet but she doesent know when she is doing bowel movement or wee yet.

sarahangharad
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:10 pm 
Post subject:
Yes, every child is different and it's worth remembering that boys are tougher to train than girls. You're doing the right thing in letting him become accustomed to the potty - and it looks like that is working really well. It's crucial to not get impatient or frustrated as your little boy will pick it up and associate going on the potty with Mummy asking loads of questions and fussing around him. We let our eldest do what you're doing for a good while then when he was totally comfortable with the idea we flipped to pants and the toilet. He was over three by this time and it was right for us. Good luck - do it when you sense that your little one is ready. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Nappies, Changing and Potty Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular