Definition of Prematurity

dprivett
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:44 am 
Post subject: Definition of Prematurity
I just thought this was interesting, since I came home with my little guy I get this alot from people. They will ask why he is so small I will either say he is premature, a micropreemie, or something along those lines. Then I usually here Well my baby... or so and so's baby....
was premature. She weighed 5lbs 10 oz, lol. I do understand that larger baby's are often in the NICU for major medical problems, but as the following article says just because you have to but the preemie clothes it doesn't mean the baby is premature! When my little guy was finally allowed to wear clothes he wore clothes that could have fit a tiny baby doll, his diapers came in what looked like a sanitary pad package. I really didn't understand what a extremely premature baby was until I saw mine, and then I realized how most people have no true idea of prematurity and it's effects.

"The technical term for preemie is defined as a baby that is under 5 pounds (2500 grams), though the general public chooses to call any baby under 7 pounds (3000 grams) a preemie. This is partially due to the fact that it is difficult to find clothing that fits these babies unless shopping at preemie stores for preemie sizes, so some parents refer to their little baby as a preemie. Another reason is that many people are uninformed about the definition of prematurity.
To an NICU medical professional, a micropreemie is defined as a baby that is under 1 pounds (between 700-800 grams) and is generally born before 26 weeks gestation, but most people prefer to loosen this term up to include any baby under 3 pounds (1500 grams) or under 29 weeks gestation. Micro preemies require a lot of medical attention in order to survive, and many more micro preemies are surviving than ever before in history. The statistics for the survival of a micro preemie can range from 10-80%.
A micro preemie born before 23 weeks gestation has no chance of survival to 10%. Every day inside the mother increases the chances of survival for a micro preemie, and every week is a major significance continuing to push that percentage higher. This also lowers the numbers of short and long term health risks."

I found this info at http://www.preemietwins.com/articles/what_is_a_preemie.htm
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AskBaby Talk -> Your Premature Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular