Egg sharing question

fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:41 am 
Post subject: Egg sharing question
Hello, does anyone know whether you can egg share if your a cystic fibrosis carrier? I know they test for it but then it doesnt say whether or not being a carrier prevents you from doing it. I always assumed it would so have ruled it out, but now Im thinking its worth finding out for definite as the Nuffield do IVF for free and free drugs when you share your eggs!
Thanks.
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:54 pm 
Post subject:
Hi fc79,
when we did egg share I was told CF carriers could not be donors due to the risk of passing the condition on. Sorry hun.

Julie xxx
sharon34
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:50 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Chick,

Sorry but im with Julie on this one .....im just starting ivf and we thought about egg share but decided against, but if you carry any genetical dissorder they will not let you share eggs .......

good luck best wishes

sharon
x
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:29 pm 
Post subject:
Ah, ok thanks for your replies. I did think that would be the case but was hoping otherwise. Suppose I'll have to wait in line for NHS treatment then.
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:35 pm 
Post subject:
We were going to go down the egg share route but decided against it and have decided to fund the treatment ourselves.

Good luck hun, i hope you don't have to wait too long x
October 2010 2nd ICSI, short protocol BFN
trying to raise funds for round 3, hoping to cycle august 2011
MrsE27
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
Hi fc79,

How are you? Just thought as I am going to donate eggs, I would share with you what I know. If you are a carrier of cyctic fibrosis, i'm not sure that would rule you out entirely, I think it depends on the clinic. As long as the male isn't a carrier it would be fine, found this on the following website: http://www.ivfcliniclondon.com/en/egg-donation/selection-of-egg-providers.html it says:

1 in 25 people in this Country carry a gene abnormality for cystic fibrosis. If you are a carrier it does not mean that you have any medical problem. It just tells us that we cannot fertilise your eggs with the sperm of a man who is also a Cystic fibrosis carrier as this would lead to a 1 in 4 chance of a baby being born with the disease of cystic fibrosis. You could still donate your eggs to a couple where the man is not a carrier.

Thought it may be worth you asking or phoning around a few clinics, to find out?

Hope it helps
ka xxx
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:07 am 
Post subject:
Thank you, that really helps. I did email a few clinics near me, my nearest one came back saying they wouldnt accept me for egg share and I havent heard back from the others yet. I think I will phone round now.

Thanks again.
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:04 am 
Post subject:
Good luck FC79, and do phone, I emailed several clinics when we were deciding which one to use and only 2 got back to me. You get a better response if you call.
October 2010 2nd ICSI, short protocol BFN
trying to raise funds for round 3, hoping to cycle august 2011
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular