the use of pethidine during labour

Juno
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:34 am 
Post subject: the use of pethidine during labour
Hi there, I was just wondering if anybody here has used pethidine during labour. Would you recommende it or rather not?There is also an alternative called meptid.. I would appreciate if anybody could let me know what their personal experience was with these drugs. I have already done the google search, so I have seen all the theory, now I would like to know the practical side of things.

Thank you.
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:49 pm 
Post subject:
i used pethidine with my daughter and would not use it again and made me throw up and feel drunk to be honest - not very nice although i think it did help the pain but mayeb thats coz it made me feel not with it.

MissScotland
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:06 pm 
Post subject:
Hiyas and welcome to AB Very Happy

I dont have any knowledge with pethadine but just wanted to wish you well in your pregnancy journey xxx
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:26 pm 
Post subject:
i had pethidine with my first it made me sleepy and sick and not in control i wont
be having it this time x
LauraT
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:52 pm 
Post subject:
I had pethadine but I had my waters broken and my labour progressed so fast (dilated to 10 cm in 1 hour, 40 mins) that I didn't notice I had it. It didn't make me sick though Laughing

Lauraloocards
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:36 pm 
Post subject:
hi ya i had this and did'nt do a thing for me so wont be having it again it was a wast of time for me x
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:42 pm 
Post subject:
Hi. Well it just goes to show we're all different hey. I had g & a with both mine until I thought I just couldn't take anymore pain and begged for pethadine and in both cases the mw's told me there was no point as I was nearly there but I insisted and they gave it to me and they were right, they gave me the injection and I gave birth. I didn't feel sick at all although I know that is a common side affect. I was pretty out of it for a while though and kept nodding off. This time I'm thinking of perhaps having it earlier, but I too would like to find out about meptid and I'm sure I've heard a few people mention diamorphine or something similar. I'm going to start a thread in general chat for more info. How long have got til your edd?
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:51 pm 
Post subject:
For me pethidine was the most effective out of all the pain relief i had x

AmyandLewis
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:51 am 
Post subject:
i had gas and air which was good but in the very late stages of labour i had pethadine was amazing didnt feel a thing until i had to push Smile

it made me sick about 3 times when i first had it but after a little while i was fine

x x x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular