Breastfeeding problems short feeds and crying on breast

Bushbabe
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:55 pm 
Post subject: Breastfeeding problems short feeds and crying on breast
I have a 3 week old baby and until now breast feeding was going well but I am concerned and confused as she is not consitant in her behaviour, as sometimes she feeds for only about 6-8 minutes and then falls asleep and changing nappies etc does not help top wake her and then sleeps for 2-3 hours. She seems to be putting on weight ok but can my milk really be coming this quickly to satify her? She used to feed for 10 mins on each breast but now does not, can it be that my milk is coming down this strongely to fill her up so quickly?

Other times I have problems that she will feed for 5 mins and then start crying and pulling away from the breast and I then find it difficult to settle her, she still looks hungry but I am not sure if it milk coming to quickly, wind or something else. Any advise welcome? I have tried nipple shields to see if I can reduce the flow? (if this is the problem)but cannot seem to get them to work as she cannot get milk out of them, so cannot check this. Any tips to get these to work welcome too. She seems to be fine on the breast at night and feeds fine. I am feeding mainly lying down if anyone thinks this may be the issue.
ryno
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:31 pm 
Post subject:
Hi bushbabe,
I have a 7 week old boy and i also have a similar problem. Until two week ago I had no problem with feeding him, he would eat at least 30 min at each feeding but all of a sudden he became very fussy. He eats for about 5-8 minutes and then either falls asleep or starts crying and pushing the breast . I spend all my day trying to feed him, sometimes he goes with no food over 6 hours , I am mentally and emotionally exhausted . I tired formula milk but he rejected it . I can only feed him peacefully - only for about 10-12 min - after mid night and very early in the morning. He has lots of wind problems and I realised that he cries a lot and it becomes impossible to feed him if he needs to pass air. As he hasnt lost weight the doctor told me not to worry and he said he will eat if he is hungary but i am not satisfied with it , I know that he is hungary but it looks like he is on strike. Please has anyone out there experienced the same problem and have any idea to fix it ? I really need help - a solution to get my baby back to normal feeding, I am so stressed about it .
JaneEP
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:21 pm 
Post subject: Breastfeeding problems short feeds and crying on breast
I had the same problems. Sorry I haven't time to answer properly, hope this helps.

http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing/trouble/gulping.html
SGP
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:49 am 
Post subject:
Hi guys. My baby is about 3 months new. I experienced all of what you are presently undergoing. But believe me, she is doing fine now. As long as the baby wees and poos daily, there is nothing to worry.. relax and the baby will settle down soon
ryno
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:22 pm 
Post subject:
Dear JaneEp and SGP,
thanks a lot for your support . janeEP , that link you have sent has been very helpful . Thank you sooooo much. my baby is better now and I am feeling much happier.
maria815
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:26 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ryno, I hope things are continuing well. There is no such thing a a normal breast feed as all vary so much. Don't get too worried, as long as peeing and pooing well just go with it and be led by baby, Feed patterns change frequently during the course of breast feeding and it takes a good couple of months for feeding to become established-12 feeds a day can be quite normal. Breast fed babies DO NOT feed like a artificially fed baby as the milk is utilised and passed through the system a lot quicker.
I fed all three of mine and still am my 3rd who is just over a year now.

Keep it up, it does get easier.

www.mariasorganicbabies.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular