Need advise please!

nervousnicki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:41 am 
Post subject: Need advise please!
I have just posted this on the bottom of someone elses topic! opps! Just realised how to post a new one. Sorry!

Hi All

I only joined this site yesterday. I have a million and one questions to ask and it's too early to ask anyone. I found out i was pregnant last friday and although a little shocked i was happy. I thought i was having my normal period pains ( iget bad pain for the first 2 days of my period) but no other sign. So i did 3 tests in total and found i was about 5 weeks pregnant. My pdroblem is that i have been getting achey period type pain in the day and 2 evenings i have woken up with what is like my first 2 days of bad pain of a period. It lasts for about 30mins and only goes with a hot water bottle. I have looked this up on the internet and now scared myself to death with all that i found. I am worried that it might be an eptopic pregnancy but i spoke to my doctor today who said it is unlikely as the pain should be constant.
Sorry to waffle on and i don't know all the right baby speak on here but has anyone any advise for me? Am i being over the top in worrying?

Nicki Confused
JulieWoo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:03 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Nicki,
if you are worried, dont take no for an answer from your GP. Insist he refers you for an early scan to the EPU. Your GP should also do a series of beta HCG blood tests. These may or may not give you some answers. Your GP is right - when you have an ectopic the pain is bad - but by then it is too late to save your tube.
In general, If they can't see a baby in the uterus on ultrasound when your HCG is around 1500 they should be suspicious of an ectopic. It can be treated with a methotrexate injection so you can avoid surgery and loss of your tube.
I was uncomfortable 10 days before my ectopic nearly ruptured with an achy back. It is difficult because you often get cramps in early pregnancy as the uterus accomodates your baby.
PLease dont take any risks if you are worried - ectopic is life threatening.

Take care, Julie xx
anais1234
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:27 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Nikki, I totally agree about no risks...get on to your doctor and insist on an early scan, I had pain in early pg in my left hand side and my gp thought it was ectopic so he sent me for a scan to rule it out.When the pain gets unbearable it is normally in an emergency situation so get it checked sooner rather than later. To reassure you though cramping in early pg is really very common so it could just be that!! good luck. keep us posted xxxxxxx
nervousnicki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:09 am 
Post subject:
Thank you Julie and Anais for your advise, i rang my GP to make an appoointment so i could request a scan and/or my blood tested. I was greeted by a frosty receptionist who told me she was sure it was nothing to worry about but could get me to see my GP in 3 weeks time!! I was close to tears and asked if i could get booked with a midwife, she told me i was being a bit premature and would also have to wait 3 weeks before i could see her! When i first told my doctor i was pregnant last week he told me 'if your still pregnant in 3 weeks come back and we can give you some advise and we will get you booked in to see a midwife' I rang a different surgery straight after my conversation with the receptionist and they said they can transfer me over to them and can see me tomorrow!!
I feel completely nurotic and stupid that i seem to know nothing about being pregnant and how i am meant to feel.
I am sorry i am just feeling a bit lost at the moment, i still get the dull ache in my tummy and back but thankfully it's no longer painful, got my fingers crossed for friday.

Thanks again for replying.
xx
emzandy
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:05 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

try not to worry about it to much im guessing ur still very early on, i had an ectopic when i was 6 weeks, i didnt even know i was having one i went to epu as i had started spotting and having 2 prev miscarriages i was a little worried when i went for my scan i was made to feel like a stupid little girl by the sonagram women, she kept saying i cannot find anything in ur womb, but it is preparing for a pregnancy or it might just be ur period she kept asking me how i knew i was pregnant told her did 6 positive tests prove it, (bit excessive id only done 2 and one at gp but wasnt gonna tell her that lol) any way she checked my tubes and that was it told me to put my bottoms bk on,i was a little confused as to what was going on it was only when i saw the nurse that she explained what she had saw and even then they was still quite convinced it was nothing and i wast even pregnant, the first time they did believe me was when my bloods came back, at that point i was sent straight up stairs to have a investigative laperoscipy (dont know how to spell that one), i was taken down in a matter of hours by 3pm i was bk on the ward and was told my tube had been close to rupturing and had to have my right tube removed so much for not being pregnant eh, wanted to tell people my story to show how insensitive and clueless some medical staff can be.
My advise would be to keep pushing and pushing until they do what u ask them to. good luck nicki 2morrow u tell them what u want and make sure they listen.

sorry it so long wanted to make a point lol xxx
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:04 pm 
Post subject:
gosh,

amzandy, i was just reading your post and i am mortified by the way the staff treated you. Especially working in the field they are, they shouldn't be making anyone feel stupid or clueless. If you hadn't kept pusing i would hate to think what could have happened. I hope you rubbed it back in there faces when the bloods confirmed you were pregnant and that it was something serious. You should seriously write a complaint about the service you were given. That lack of compassion (if that's the right word i should be using) they showed to you.

Doctors/nurses any medical staff are not there to help people these days, there only there to make money. If anyone is experiencing similar problems with medical staff, give them what for and tell them you have a right to be worried and they have an obligation to service you (not really the word i was looking for).

WE LADIES HAVE A RIGHT!!!
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,
i asked for this forum to be created in the hope it would raise awareness of this horrible and distressing event, and also to give hope and encouragement/support to ladies that are going through/been through it.

Unfortunately it seems that the medical 'professionals' are wholly inadequate and sadly lacking when it comes ectopic, and i would definately urge any lady that thinks
she may have a problem to NOT take NO for an answer. By the time you are in pain it is too late to save your tube. If ectopic is caught early enough, the pregnancy can be interrupted, with an injection of methotrexate - which can save your tube and reduce the risk of surgery.

This is a life threatening condition - and to do nothing is a huge risk. I know.

Hope you are all well - sorry for the rant, but i really do feel this happens all too often, and we are ignored 'cos we dont have a medical degree. Evil or Very Mad

Julie xxxxxxxx
loobylou75
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:50 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, I am 7 weeks pregnant, and like u I have been geting these really stong like period pains and bad back ache, I was in Hospital with a suspected EP last week but everything turned out to be fine. This week I have been bleeding a lot and today went back to EPU for a scan and again was told everything was ok. I was even shown the heart beat on the scan Very Happy I am even in agony at this moment with stomach cramps but feel relieved to know I have been checked out! While i hope this brings some comfort to you, I really think that u should insist you can be ruled out for an EP. I know it is wrong but if u have to, lie and tell them the pain is constanly down one side, you will soon be seen to then, although I know it is disgusting that you should have to do this, but if it is the the only way to but your mind at ease then I would. Hope you have your mind put at rest soon, so you can start to enjoy your pregnancy. xx
nervousnicki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:18 pm 
Post subject:
Hi all
I went to see my new doctor and was told i had nothing to worry about as the pain would not come and go but only get worse, i did try to push for an early scan but nothing. I am now in my 9th week and i still get dull achey pain in my tummy and back but nothing near to what i was having. Maybe i just have a low pain threshold or something but i will not be happy until my first scan on 15th June.
Thank you all for words of advise.
Best wishes
xx
NyandAnil
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:51 am 
Post subject:
good luck nikki and keep us posted - i hope everything is fine as im sure it will be Laughing easier said than done but try and relax a bit and enjoy your pregnancy, wishing you all the best hun, Ny x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Ectopic Pregnancy and TTC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular