naughtie three's!

lea99lea
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:29 pm 
Post subject: naughtie three's!
hey every1, can any1 help? my 3 year old daughter kassie, is very naughty Sad, with cheekyness and temper tantrums, hiting people etc, unfortunatly nothing works ive tried tellin off (eye to eye contact), smaking, a naughtie step and sending her to a room. but nothing works

please help

lea x
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:24 am 
Post subject:
oof nasty - poor you. To be fair, it's probably just a phase if she's having tantrums.

You could try positive reinforcement - showering her with love and hugs when she's being good, and telling her how lovely she is when she is behaving. Also when she's naughty, or hits people, don't just say 'don't' and 'naughty' - try explaining to her WHY its not nice to hit other people, and why tantrums are pointless.

May also be worth looking for a pattern (although if its a tantrum phase you probably won't find one). Sometimes kids will act out against something specific - the supermarket, a particular person or event, or nursery etc.

Does she go to a regular nursery/playgroup? often lots of contact with other children can help as it stimulates and interests them and they also watch others behaviour to shape their own.

Cheekiness-wise - its really important to remain the parent in the relationship - don't react to her cheek, and especially don't laugh!! Stick to your guns and don't give her what she wants until she says please and so on... it'll take a while, but I'm sure you'll both come through it Very Happy
Christi
Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:05 am 
Post subject:
Can you give us a little more info? Like are you being consistent?
startingagain
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:14 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Christi

I agree with Devon Mum,

My eldest was a little monster for about a year. You have to be consistent. Firm and fair and the punishment fit the crime. I found positive reinforcement when he was good and completely blanking him when he was bad ( always ensuring he was safe and couldn't hurt himself while screaming and kicking the floor ). They have to learn tantrums do not get them attention, behaving does. Rewards worked for my Son too, such as going to the park or to visit a friend.
I did notice certain foods would make matters worse too, it's surprising how many colours and additives are hidden in what you think is innocent food. Sugar free can me alternatives !!!

Another thing that my Mum taught me, if you threaten them with an action you MUST carry it out, so think before you do, otherwise what you say means nothing. I removed all his toys from his room once, never had to do it again LOL ! All 3 of my children know if I say something I mean it ( even if they are 16,14 and 11 ) .

Basically talking and staying calm with them no matter how angry you feel inside. Stay positive tots learn very quickly I'm sure you'll both come out the other side all the stronger and happier !!

Good Luck x x
beauy
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:51 am 
Post subject: Hi
Thankyou for asking the question as my 3 year old son is like this also, he goes to nursery 3 times a week this has settled him down a little, i give him hugs and praise etc when he is good and use a naughty chair if naughty but it is no good i feel like pulliung my hair out.
I spoke to the health visitor and she said he is hyper-active and this is how he will be including waking upto 10 times a night ( so she wasn't much help Crying or Very sad )
An tips girls would be greatfully recieved.
startingagain
Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:26 am 
Post subject:
Hey beauty, I do understand my son was on the go constantly and it took all my energy to keep him busy, he wanted to learn everything yesterday !! I even had the police at my house in the middle of the night because a neighbour called them about this screaming child . . . . it's funny now but not at the time !!
I found my son improved when he went to nursery, it's because they need the structure and guide lines and to be kept busy. I also found changing his diet . . . . after seeing a friends child change in a matter of days. I never bought biscuits or sweets anyway, a snack was a wide choice of fruit, but I began to check the contents on just about everything as well and was horrified at what I'd been feeding him, what I thought was pretty good wasn't sugar free was full of all kinds of other, low fat and salt meant more sugar Confused Evil or Very Mad . It was hard at first but within 6 months he was alot better, still very active but not HYPER if you get me.
Keep treats ( fast and processed food, including soft drinks ) to once or twice a month and the firm and fair, it really does work.
My Son is now 16 and over 6feet tall and even if I do say so myself a lovely lad to be around, but he is also very sensible about his diet and though enjoys the odd fast food treat doesn't OD on them like most teenagers tend to do .

Good Luck hope it works out for you hun x
sibelcan
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:50 pm 
Post subject: Re: naughtie three's!
lea99lea wrote:
hey every1, can any1 help? my 3 year old daughter kassie, is very naughty Sad, with cheekyness and temper tantrums, hiting people etc, unfortunatly nothing works ive tried tellin off (eye to eye contact), smaking, a naughtie step and sending her to a room. but nothing works

please help

lea x

have you tried converscating her toys 1 toy for every bad thing she does and the only way she can have them back is by behaving without being cheeky or hitting people where as with the tantrums the best way to get past them is to ignore her because they are just for attention so you can give into what ever she wants but just ignore her and they will soon pass it will be a challenge and a half but it is well worth it in the end.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular